Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are people asking their dealers to fix this? I know that it requires a full stereo replacement. Are the replacements any better?

On mine, its just 2 little tiny dots on the volume knob that I suspect I only saw because the light was shining through the two little holes...

Notwithstanding this extraordinarily minor issue, I just got back from a brief drive around town and had an absolutely great time just cruising quietly, taking the opportunity to unwind from a hectic week. I love this car!

·
Alexandria, Va
Work on them all...
1,213 Posts
Just so you guys know... If the only problem you have is the volume or tuning knob peeling the entire radio does not have to be replaced. Those knobs are available seperately.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got this replaced at my dealership. Just go to the dealer and tell them...if they are a good dealer (took me 10 dealerships to find one) they will simply replace the knob and thats it. My knob is actually pretty good this time, so far no more peels. If you are in the Southern Cali area...go to Whittier cadillac...they replaced my knob under warranty. If the dealership refuses, I can give you my reciept that I got back and hopefully that will help. Email me at [email protected] if you need it.

·
Registered
CTS-V
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ishminder said:
I got this replaced at my dealership. Just go to the dealer and tell them...if they are a good dealer (took me 10 dealerships to find one) they will simply replace the knob and thats it. My knob is actually pretty good this time, so far no more peels. If you are in the Southern Cali area...go to Whittier cadillac...they replaced my knob under warranty. If the dealership refuses, I can give you my reciept that I got back and hopefully that will help. Email me at [email protected] if you need it.
I'm fortunate enough to have Lindsay Cadillac as my local dealer! James is awesome! Thanks a bunch for the offer though. That's just the kind of offer that makes this board great!

·
Registered
523 Posts
the buttons are the ones peeling, they always peel, I guess i like to switch from radio station to radio station, or cd tracks too much.
:thepan:

·
Registered
CTS-V
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alcast082 said:
i like to switch .... cd tracks too much.
:thepan:
There's a cd player in a V? Between XM, an iPod and the awesome sound of the engine and my modified exhaust, I've barely ever listened to a cd!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
The radio knobs are ivory colored nylon sprayed black. You can scrape it off with a nail. Some good Krylon flat black is probably a better fix if you scuff them up.

Or Switch to aluminum. :thumbsup: That finish doesent come off.

·
Registered
2007 Yukon Denali / 2009 G8 GT
347 Posts
I had mine replaced because it had peeled just below the bottom left corner of the nav screen previous to me getting my car at 8000. It started peeling in the same place again and is very bad. I noticed I rest my fingers there when changing the volume. It still shouldn't happen. I think I will wait until the summer before asking for the entire nav unit to be replaced again.

·
Registered
2007 stsv. 2005 ctsv(r.i.p)
580 Posts
mines peeling bad only on the station buttons that i use the most, still sucks because my cars only 9 months old!!!:nono:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Talk about anal! The buttons on the right don't even have any nomencalture on them. If you haven't memorized what the buttons on left do by now you might have an ADD problem. My buttons are peeling too, but I am not about to risk having all the problems frequently associated with replacement of the radio/nav unit. It's not important.

"If aint broke, don't fix it."

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think that all GM's radios do this. Had it happen in my last two GM vehicles.

When two of the buttons in the V started to wear through a little on the edge, I just touched it up with a black sharpie. Now I try and be vigilant to press the button flatly with my finger instead of rubbing across it. It's been like two months since and the marker has held up. Not worth the hassle of a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
Owned 3 V's, now driving a Wrangler and XT5
2,574 Posts
06's with the controls on the steering wheel should help this out a ton.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,018 Posts
Sharpie!

·
Registered
CTS-V CAI, CAM, BB X-pipe, Baer Extreme Plus
1,129 Posts
Mine had peeled on buttons, face plate, and buttons. They replaced the Nav/ radio unit and the rear end, which is making some noise, so I guess the second rear end is on it's way out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts