Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD Black Raven/Ebony Interior
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally did it. I scraped the heck out of that lower front fairing! I knew it was coming, cuz that thing is way too low! I don't like having to be so careful all the time, so I'm thinking I'm going to remove it. Has anyone removed that piece? My car has the complete body kit. Anyone have pictures of a car with the body kit on it except that lower front part?

·
Registered
2008 Black Cherry CTS4 - FE2, J55
205 Posts
Well, I finally did it. I scraped the heck out of that lower front fairing! I knew it was coming, cuz that thing is way too low! I don't like having to be so careful all the time, so I'm thinking I'm going to remove it. Has anyone removed that piece? My car has the complete body kit. Anyone have pictures of a car with the body kit on it except that lower front part?
I assume you mean on the front bumper? If so I just replaced mine, damn expensive part for what it actually is. If it's the part that I am thinking of then its very easy to remove, there are 2 screws on each end (near the tires) and the rest are those plastic fasteners that just pop out. I did not take any pics with the piece removed but the whole removal and re-install took about 5 minutes.

BTW, I now back into ALL parking spaces.

-Mark

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts
I know it makes it look cool and go fast safely, but I also wish the front lower air dam cleared the average parking space bumper.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume you mean on the front bumper? If so I just replaced mine, damn expensive part for what it actually is. If it's the part that I am thinking of then its very easy to remove, there are 2 screws on each end (near the tires) and the rest are those plastic fasteners that just pop out. I did not take any pics with the piece removed but the whole removal and re-install took about 5 minutes.

-Mark

I'm going to take it off and see if I can live without the nice look I had with it on. Prior to getting this car a month ago, I drove SUV's exclusively for 14 years. I never had to worry about things like this. Thanks for the response! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey! Curb feelers! That's the ticket! Let's bring 'em back! :highfive:

·
Registered
'08 CTS Black Raven/Ebony 3.6DI FE2 6-speed manual
149 Posts
Without a picture its hard to say this applies: one thing to look at unless it is completely wrecked is to use fine grit sandpaper to smooth out the scraps and follow up with black shoe polish. Its amazing the improvement you can make doing this unless the damage was REALLY bad!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Without a picture its hard to say this applies: one thing to look at unless it is completely wrecked is to use fine grit sandpaper to smooth out the scraps and follow up with black shoe polish. Its amazing the improvement you can make doing this unless the damage was REALLY bad!
It appears the 3M protective coating took the brunt of it, but there are multiple deep scratches on the surface of the air dam. I like your idea. Or maybe I'll get some touch up paint. I'm calmer now. Maybe I'll keep the darn thing until I completely ruin it. :eek:

Come to think of it, it might be tough manuevering around that coating. It got frayed in the impact. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2008 Black Cherry CTS4 - FE2, J55
205 Posts
I'm going to take it off and see if I can live without the nice look I had with it on. Prior to getting this car a month ago, I drove SUV's exclusively for 14 years. I never had to worry about things like this. Thanks for the response! :thumbsup:
Same here. I drove a truck or SUV from 1988 to 2008 so I never cared or thought of it. The CTS is not only a car but its a low car on top of it.

I'm glad you have calmed down. It's really an easy job to take it off.

-Mark

·
Registered
08 CTS
176 Posts
Mind got damaged and I am sure it was at the dealership, of course they denied it. Anyway it was pulled over something backard,as if it was drove over and the backed off leaving jagged edges along the bottom directly in the center. I used a small diamond dust type file to remove the jagged part and then used some 600 grit paper to finish it off . I then used black chrome polish to put the color and luster back. It appears that the color of this peice is solid and not just on the outside. Anyway mind turned out perfect, cannot even be seen.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mind got damaged and I am sure it was at the dealership, of course they denied it. Anyway it was pulled over something backard,as if it was drove over and the backed off leaving jagged edges along the bottom directly in the center. I used a small diamond dust type file to remove the jagged part and then used some 600 grit paper to finish it off . I then used black chrome polish to put the color and luster back. It appears that the color of this peice is solid and not just on the outside. Anyway mind turned out perfect, cannot even be seen.
Sounds good! Did you happen to have the 3M protective film on yours?

·
Registered
08 CTS
176 Posts
Wayneebrown...I really don't know . Mind is a late 08, how do I tell? There is no type film that I recall, but I will check tomorrow.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
With the railroad companies being in trouble, check their web sites for cow catchers. Might get one or two cheaply.

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
If the park assist is installed in the bumper the way the DTS is, it won't help much with the lower splitter. It will only measure what the front bumper senses. The splitter would be low enough below the bumper that it would still let you hit the parking spot.
I haven't found a clear answer for this so I stop ridiculously far from the stops to avoid damage. If someone gives me a look, I just blame it on my age.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premium w/20" chrome
481 Posts

-Mark
That's a big 10-4. I've seen to many front chin spoilers cracked and/or scrapped badly. It's difficult, at time's, to judge the space in front of the car. Whenever possible, I just simply back into the space.

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
That's a big 10-4...Whenever possible, I just simply back into the space.
Yep...and that's when the much-maligned "Park Tilt Mirrors" come in handy. They can help you back up between the white lines and precisely into the center of your parking space...and thereby minimize odds of your CTS getting dinged by vehicles parked in adjacent spaces.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So now y'all tell me! I just got a repair estimate: $300!! I'm thinking I'll go with the shoe polish recommendation. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts