Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ahhh, it seems like when I got my car 2 1/2 months ago, and before I put 5k miles on her, there were no light scratches/mostly small rock chips on hood, now there is alot, so I went to a local Chevy dealer to try and get touch up paint (figured they woudl carry GM stuff) turns out it is discountined though GM.

My paint color is Gunmetal Charcoal, but when the guy looked it up, it said Bronze Metalic..... the color of my car is NOT bronze

the main paint code is 9894 (or 9864, don't remember now, either way) and the secondary code is 59U.

This really sucks, none of the local auto places have this color in touch up paint (hell it's not even listed in the books) and now GM dons't even have it anymore. Does anyone know of a place I can get it online or anywhere else? these little rock chips annoy the hell outta me.....sure you can't see it unless you get within 2 feet of the car, and anyone that looks at the car dosn't notice it, but I do, and I know it's there, plus if I touch it all up, it'll just be better for me, the car and the paint etc...

Could anyone tell me where I could find some touch up paint?

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
PPG # 4707 "Bronze Metallic"
ANY Aujtomotive PAINT store or supplier of PPG automotive paints can & will mix it up for you while you wait (generally 10-15 minutes.) Consult your yellow pages for "Automotive-Paints" or Call PPG 800 # with your zip code. I believe the smallest quantity that they'll mix for you will be a pint, but it lasts a long time. You didn't say, but I did a scan.....yor car's a 1993, right?

S A N D Y

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, they DO have my color.....does that mean it's in stock?

BUT this does not help me...becuase according to the guide, my paint IS Bronze Metallic:

"Bronze Metallic Clearcoat 59/WA9894 "

Those are both my codes....

I was told it is Gunmetal Charcoal....there is no Gunmetal Charcoal though, the only Gunmetal color is nothing like my car...then again neither is Bronze Metallic, but it IS the origanal paint.

I dunno, maybe it is the color, look here:

http://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/makepaint2.cgi

and this is my car:

That picture was taken when I first got the car.... 2 1/2 months and 5k miles ago.... looking back at my pictures, the leading edge of the hood, and top of the hood was like new....not I have small chips.....is it my driving?

It is a '93

I gues it is all correct, I'll go ahead and check out pricing and everything from the site, and then go ahead and order some, I really would like it......

Only question is, say you have a hood, in general very good condition, but small rock chips in mutiple areas...if I was to use the touch-up paint on all the chips, would it make the car look weird? woudl it be lighter/darker? reflect weird in the sun? Just wondering....even though the car is 11 years old, the paint is like new, no fading or anything at all, plus I wax it often, so that helps.....just want to get these little chips all covered up.....

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am confused now....

....on that site, I can get a 1/2oz pen for $15

or a 1 oz bottle for $15

or a 2oz bottle for $17

Now, I think the pen would be best since it is mostly just small chips and stuff, but there are quite a few chips around the whole car, and I don't know if the pen would be enough, so if I get the 2oz bottle, that has a brush to put it on...... will that be hard to do for chips that are very very small?

click here:

https://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/place_order2.cgi

being that I am not painting on metal, I do not need the primer, correct? but I do need the base coat AND clear coat, right?

Let me know, that way I can get this stuff and touch up my car. Thanks

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
I believe you're correct on all counts. If you get the small bottle, instead of using a brush use the tip of a toothpick to dab a tiny bit at a time into the ding/scratch - it takes longer but you'll get a much neater application. If it's pretty deep, build it up over several applications rather than all at once.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I don't know where you got that Charcoal whatever name. The Cadillac Given name of the color is SLATE BRONZE METALLIC, code 59 !! I have a 1993, and I know!! I have a Cadillac Color Chart too. SLATE BRONZE!

Just go to an automotive paint supply house/store & they'll make it for WHILE YOU WAIT, for much cheaper than on-line! No shipping and liability coverage!!

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was told by the private dealer in Florida where the car was bought, the color is Gunmetal Charcoal.... I guess it is Slate Bronze Metallic though..... fine with me.....

The toothpick idea is a good one..... so I would do 1 or more coats of the paint (depending on scratch/chip) THEN do a coat of clearcoat? how would that go?

I may check out some automotive paint stores around here....how do they make the color? by the code, looking at the car? etc....

I went to an actual Cadillac dealer (vs. Chevy) and was askign a few questions, I am either going to call or go there tomorrow to do some things, maybe they have some of the paint in stock.....

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
You wont need to do a coat of coat of clearcoat..... Just put the touchup paint with a toothpick in the scratch......

Just put one layer in the scratch, and let it dry.... If its not even with the rest of the paint, put in another layer.... Keep going until its even.......

They'll have it listed by the code most likely.......

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the paint is discountined, it was only made in '93 ( I think) and an ultra-rare color..... I went to an automotive place that is good with paint, and they coudln't make something up (there is another place, but I didn't go there) and instead of paying $25-$30 online, I figured I would see what they have.....

....I ended up getting a little can thingy of touch-up paint for '97-'98 Chrysler....it is clear coat and the color is "Taupe Frost Pearl" code is 398 I think...it was the clostest match, and when I tried a little spot, it seems to be almost an exact match, but it was raining, hopefully tomorrow the rain will stop, and I can try it out on a hidden area and see.... if anything, this was only $5, 1/2oz. has a little brush, pretty neat....if this dosn't work, then I'll go to another place that is a paint store and is good with mixing things up, if that dosn't work, then I'll order from that website.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Man, nightwolf, I didn't realize what a rare car you've got!
Last year (forever) of the Coupe DeVille AND in the only new color for the year AND what turned out to be a one year ONLY color. Super Rare ! Is it low mileage?

PS/ Try the other paint house, (as you refer to it as) - That first one are a bunch if idiots. All they need is a color book for the mixing codes and a mixing machine. If they can make white......they can make Slate Bronze! My neighbor has a Sebring Convertible in that Chrysler color. I believe it has more brown and less gold than your color. Beee Careful ! :thumbsup:

BY THE WAY.....DID YOU KNOW THAT YOURS IS ONE OF ONLY 119 IN THE WORLD, LIKE IT???? With a loss ratio of about 20% over the 10 years, there may be around 80 left !!!!

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my car had 78k miles at time of purchess...now she has 85k miles....

This was a 1 year only color? To add to the rare-ness, I have the gold badges too :D

How do you know there is only 119 in the whole world?....wow, I feel special I drive a rare car now, it is my first car too..... I take good care of her, although sometimes drive pretty rough....... gotta show up the ricers though.

I'll swing by the other place I heard of and check it out some time (maybe over the weekend)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
BY THE WAY.....DID YOU KNOW THAT YOURS IS ONE OF ONLY 119 IN THE WORLD, LIKE IT???? With a loss ratio of about 20% over the 10 years, there may be around 80 left !!!!

NIGHT WOLF that is great. Hope you get your sitation worked out. If you really need the touch up paint i can talk to my body shop and see if they have a small bottle that i can ship you. Email me at [email protected] if you need it

·
Registered
just one
1,386 Posts
the Sandman said:
I believe you're correct on all counts. If you get the small bottle, instead of using a brush use the tip of a toothpick to dab a tiny bit at a time into the ding/scratch - it takes longer but you'll get a much neater application. If it's pretty deep, build it up over several applications rather than all at once.
^^ good stuff sandman...i never thought of a toothpick...the brush is too easy to mess up using.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts