Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2000 DTS / 2005 STS
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let mestart by sayin its been a LONG day! As many of you know I just put quite a bit of money into my 2000 DTS. Over $1100 in the engine, $200+ on "makeup", and another $1800 on new 22" wheels/tires! Well last night I was kicked back layin on my couch under a warm blanket in a pair of shorts; about 3:40AM (est) I was deep into a documentary on Netflix as 8-10" of snow fell outside when all of a sudden my Viper SST 2-Way Alarm Transmitter began to Flash and Beep rapidly, indicating sensor 1, an intrusion was detected! I immediately jumped out and ran to the door to open it and to my suprise..... my DTS was missing from her bed!!! I screamed to my wife who was in bed asleep to call 911!!! I then tossed on a pair of shoes, grabbed a weapon, and headed outside in the blizzard for clues.

Once I got on the porch I immediately looked to the right and could barely see anything due to the snowfall, and as I was attempting to see I hear what sounded like tires spinning to my left! So I turned and to my suprise I see a pickup truck trying to push my DTS, but they somehow got stuck so I sprang into action and headed down the middle of the road in a full run screaming to the theives that I was armed and prepared to shoot!!! As I approached one of the guys leaped into the back of an older Chevy pickup truck and they manuvered around my DTS and then around the corner just as I was running up to the scene! So as I talked to 911 I waited for my wife to bring me clothing and the police to help. When the olice arrived they offered little assistance and their attitudes were horrible, almost as if they were mad at me for making them work in a snow storm! The officer that arrived never even exited his vehicle!!!!!

So to sum it up a bit when we got the car home I began to list noticable damages as my wife searched for insurance information and our coverages. Luckily they did NOT get my 22's, or my Kicker L7s, or my Pioneer AVIC Touch Screen Navigation, or anything for that matter! They shattered my drivers side front window and had ramsacked the glove box & armrest...leaving them both broken or bruised, they knocked the rearview mirror off and it was dangling from some wires, they broke the gear shift lock that keeps it in park without a key, they broke the steering wheel lock alloeing it to turn freely, they managed to bend one of my front rims going over the curb, and they caused some minor body damage while pushing the car with their truck or whatever they did, and the broke the dash trim around the Pioneer AVIC as they appeared to have attempted not to leave empty handed...... which they did anyways! I'm sure I left something out or haven't noticed anything further due to lack of sleep and the snow storm..... WOW!

So now my car is scheduled to be towed from my house to the stealership and I'm driving a 2011 Impala, all thanks to my full coverage insurance and a great claims rep! I just feel so violated and that was it for my wife, shes been looking for houses for rent far FAR from the city..... were takin the hint and gettin the fuk out!!!!

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
.....$1800 on new 22" wheels/tires!....
That is not a hint.

You pasted a target on your car and you are surprised that urban law enforcement has a casual attitude about "just another car theft"?

Enjoy suburbia!!

Folks who would take your car (or whatever and wherever) are not deterred by the possibity that you might be armed/trained/prepared to squeeze the trigger. The odds are in their favor. No matter where you live.

·
Registered
1998 Deville
710 Posts
Is Ohio a "castle doctrine" state? If so, next time squeeze off a few well-placed shots. Kneecaps are always good - hard to steal a car from a wheel chair. Nice to hear your insurance is stepping up. Nu surprise that the cops were useless. Move somewhere that you have a garage!

·
Registered
none
62 Posts
Yeah, a move to suburbia or at least a calmer version of where you are at in the city. And no garage should be a deal breaker. I lived in the city most of my life. Crappy neighborhoods and nice ones. Got ripped off more in the nicer ones, contractor, truck-van or pickup with toolboxes. It got to the point I had to come home and empty my tools out of my truck every night just to not get cleaned out. truck wouldn't fit in garage. In suburbia now and huge truck stays on the drive but it is still alarmed to the hilt. dogs keep an eye out too. My DTS stays in the garage with my harley. have alarm on the house too. Call me paranoid but hey i like to keep my stuff and not give it away.

·
Registered
2006 STS V Tango int
2,341 Posts
Damn SOB's its shit like this that really pisses me off, why can't people just be honest anymore its too bad you couldn't have thrown a few pieces of lead your way

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
where in ohio you live
Im in the burbs in Cleveland ? near what area
i keep 20s on in the summer never had a problem with it no one ever tried to steal it
also in Detroit in the summers when im there for 2 o 3 day weekends never had issues there either

if someone ever did steal my car they would be sorry
after about a week i think they would be paying me to take it back lol

·
Registered
2000 DTS / 2005 STS
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah folks don't really waste their time on 20's anymore. I'm in Toledo, OH and its 22"-30" all day here. I get all my wheels from Hot Wheel City in Detroit, MI though so its funny you mentioned the "D".

I'm happy the insurance company is gonna get me taken care of though. They never got away with anything and I would have LOVED to squeeze off a few in their direction, but having prior felonies a weapons under disability and discharge in a public area woulda stole my freedom as well! I got full coverage so its more about the point then the material items. I'm gonna have to get some body work done, quite a bit of interior work done, and atleast 1 new rim that I can visably see is bent!

My rental car is a 2011 Impala with a couple hundred miles. Things been a blast to drive like I stole it lmfao!!! I told my wife its like a go-cart compared to my DTS lol! I've got CCTV (Closed Circuit Television) setup now with color/sound/night vision, so once she comes home repaired she'll feel safe..... and I'll relax being able to monitor her on picture in picture haha..... check it out!

Heres a pic only a couple days before the theft...... DAMN she's beautiful!!!

·
Registered
2000 DTS / 2005 STS
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well my insurance agent called today and the quote thus far was well over $4K and thats not including the new alarm and a couple of other issues they won't be able to quote until further diagnostics are performed!!! AMAZING!!!

·
Registered
2000 DTS / 2005 STS
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well now u have more security in your car and insurance covers all damage and your house is safe?
No, full coverage insurance doesn't mean when your car is stolen they give you a brand new one lol! All insurance does is get your vehicle in the condition it was prior to your loss.... and thats it. I'll forever feel violated and remember that night...... I honestly can't see how anything to do with my situation would bring the word "gained" to mind lol! I lost 2 days from work, $500 cash for my deductible, a doctors office visit ($140) because now I have strep throat and the flu from chasing those jerks in my shorts in a blizzard, not to mention multiple visits to the repair facility and hrs upon hrs of labor and $$$ to add additional security features to my home just to protect what I worked and paid for. Hell of a gain homie..... and I'm leaving A LOT of crap out cause I just don't feel like typin it all out ha! Far..... FAR from a gain!

·
Registered
2009 Escalade ESV
189 Posts
thank god you didnt get hurt and also got your car back.
if they got away with your car, you wouldve never seen it again.

the camera is a good idea.

did your alarm for the caddy go off when they broke the front window or you only heard the alarm from your other car?

and what alarm do you have on your other car that it beeps on the keychain and how far is the range?

·
Registered
2000 DTS / 2005 STS
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
thank god you didnt get hurt and also got your car back.
if they got away with your car, you wouldve never seen it again.

the camera is a good idea.

did your alarm for the caddy go off when they broke the front window or you only heard the alarm from your other car?

and what alarm do you have on your other car that it beeps on the keychain and how far is the range?
I've got the Viper 5900 SST 2-Way system with a proximity sensor on my DTS. Usually it pages me when someones within 2 ft. of my car but they ran up n shattered the window with the spark plug method (silent) and hoped in the window. Then one broke the column lock and shifter lock as one pushed it down the hill into the street in Neutral.... where a truck was waiting and began pushing it down the road! So as my alarm was paging my transmitter this all happened...... THAT DAMN FAST!!! Then I figured it was a false alarm (proximity sensors give a lot of false positives)so I walked normal the window to look out and when I noticed the car gone my heart sank!!! I screamed to the wife to call 911 as I gave chase!!! So if it wouldn't have been for my pager they would've had it.... not a doubt in my mind!! The range on the Viper 5900 SST is 1 mile, depending on terrain/buildings/weather of course.

My insurance agent called today and told me to let him know what alarm I want to replace that one since they "shocked" it to make it shut up.... screwing the alarm up, but it still paged me THANK GOD!!! So I'm gettin the Viper 5902 installed next week and its part of my claim so nothing out of pocket.... which is GREAT considering its $875 installed in a DTS with additional sensors and such!!!

Here's what I had on it when it was stolen......

http://www.drdetailshop.com/V5900SST.htm

Here's whats getting installed once the stealership is done with paint & parts. Theres some AWESOME videos of it on Youtube! You can roll the windows up/down, turn defrost on/off, change the temp in the car, and much much more lol..... all from the remote or your smartphone...... a mile away!!!!!

http://www.viper.com/ShopViperProducts/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemCode=5902V

·
Registered
2000 DTS / 2005 STS
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank god for your car alarm
Funny thing is when I first dropped the cash on it my wife was PISSED lol! Then I put 24" FOOSE wheels and touch screen Navigation (Eclipse) in her Expedition and she wanted one too! Fact is they pay for themselves many times over after 1..... I repeat 1 successful theft prevention!!!

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville DTS
7 Posts
Damm the crazy shiii....here's my deville just painted the grille, cleared the headlights, and lowered it

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
brothers car was stolen. only wanted wheels. towed to yard on dollys i suppose. was bummed to see it sitting in dirt at yard. we had 2nd set and picked it up. no body damage to see. was a few years ago. insurance made it all good. took battery, stereo, even the darn wipers.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS-V Black On Black
1,428 Posts
No ..... FAR from a gain!
yea i guess .. well sorry man atleast you're ok and the car is fixable

Here's whats getting installed once the stealership is done with paint & parts. Theres some AWESOME videos of it on Youtube! You can roll the windows up/down, turn defrost on/off, change the temp in the car, and much much more lol..... all from the remote or your smartphone...... a mile away!!!!!

http://www.viper.com/ShopViperProducts/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemCode=5902V
and thats a crazy security system !! I wish i could afford that !!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts