Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
STS-V
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I failed inspection in MA because of light dispersion from water in the headlight.

I know many people on this forum have the same problem with water in the headlights. I've read it's an easy fix to drill some holes in the headlight.

Can anyone please give me a step by step on exactly how to do this. I know I have to remove the bumper and take out the headlight. But could someone post a picture of where I'm you drill the holes. Thanks in advance. I just don't want to ruin the headlight and have to buy a new one.

·
Registered
'06 STS-V, '17 CTS-V
776 Posts
drill a 1/4" hole in the two rear corners of each light. Theres a ton of open space back there to drill through and not mar the chrome bezel within. I drilled mine on a 45? angle to create perhaps a vacuum to draw water out, but mostly so air flowing into the face of the light cannot drag water in. I did all four corners. A bit overkill, but no issues since, and no water buildup.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac
1,905 Posts
drill a 1/4" hole in the two rear corners of each light. Theres a ton of open space back there to drill through and not mar the chrome bezel within. I drilled mine on a 45? angle to create perhaps a vacuum to draw water out, but mostly so air flowing into the face of the light cannot drag water in. I did all four corners. A bit overkill, but no issues since, and no water buildup.
That's what I did too. You can't see the holes because the chrome piece inside covers them. Just drill the corners and stop when you get through the black plastic. Easy.

·
Premium Member
'79 coupe deville, '04 Deville DTS White Lightning
3,211 Posts
Does this just solve puddling and heavy droplets or will this fix minor condensation issues as well?

·
Premium Member
'79 coupe deville, '04 Deville DTS White Lightning
3,211 Posts
Thanks. So back corners on bottom? As in farthest part of assy from the front of the car.

·
Registered
STS-V
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I forgot to mention that I don't know how to remove the front bumper. Anyone that can provide the steps would be of great help.

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V coupe
6 Posts
I don't think you need to drill holes in the light bucket at all!! You will have to remove the bumper cover, take out the headlight bucket, then remove the bulb
covers. Remove the foam gaskets,wipe out or dry the bucket, then apply a thin continuous bead of silicone sealer, replace the foam gasket.
Then, apply another thin bead of silicone on top of
the gasket into the groove. You may have to straighten out the gasket. Mine was pinched during manufacturing. Those are not drains or vents on top in the back
of the bucket, they are check valves. Drilling a hole in them defeats the purpose of a check valve The are one way only! Re-assemble then call it a day!

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
The Lazy way is drilling holes.
The correct way would be to basically do what the post above me said... although I don't think I'd use silicone... I'd probably use some foam weather stripping tucked into the channel so that it doesn't make a mess, but anything that fixes that seal will do.

If the foam gaskets aren't the source of the water leaking in the housing then you have a leak around the clear lens cover. Bake the headlight housing in an oven to allow you to open the whole assembly then using rubber butyl tape / glue you will reseal the assembly.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/accessories/oci-butyl-rubber-glue.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts