Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I admit, I havn't gave much thought to Hyndai.... ever... but they do make decent cheap cars...

so just for fun I went onto their website....

wow! I coudln't believe it.. they make small/medium/large buses and trucks and some other very cool commercial vehicles... of course they are not sold here though....

so then I looked under recreational vehicles.. we have the Santa Fe and the Tuscon.... but they have some nice vans and even a better off-road SUV type vehicle.

Then I went to passenger cars... they make some really small buggers for Europe... but their cars are really coming along nice. The new Elentra has really nice blue gagues (I love that) the new Sonata is all new, and designed really nice inside and out... even the Tiburon, called the Hyundai Coupe on this site... I never really looked at but now pretty shocked. Perhaps what really surprised me was the Centennial.... it has a 4.5L V8.... I didn't know Hyundai makes a V8 (yet Honda still dosn't) wow... it has alot of chrome on it, a hood ornament, LED lights, and loaded with features inside that compete with some of our highest luxury cars. I was truely shocked.

Hyundai cars still loose their value somewhat quick... but this new generation has really did a 180 for the company, I think the view on them is going to be changing from cheap throw away cars to serious competition. Hell, in 2 years from now, all these cars I am sure you could get a major deal, 2 years old, 30k miles for a whole lot less then what you would expect... plus Hyundai has it right, you can get a 5spd manual on nearly all the vehicles (even the busses :) ) while their top line luxury cars have a manual shift mode on the automatic....

I am really shocked... maybe you guys knew it already, but I just havn't paid much attention to them at all.... well, I have but never really took notice. I just spent about 30mins looking at nearly all their vehicles, inside and out pictures.... I gotta say, it is actually a car I would be proud to own when you factor in the cost and warrantee and all that.

http://worldwide.hyundai-motor.com/

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
I remember being startled by the nice fit and finish of a Tiburon a while back... I sat inside it and felt more like I was in a BMW or Benz, very simple, efficient and well put together. I actually almost liked the interior over ym Eldo's...

·
Registered
NONE
1,339 Posts
The Hyundai coupe they sell over here goes rather well when you put a V6 in it.
And the base 4cyl one costs about the same as a small economy car.

Still wouldn't have one mind.
But they're getting better.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Alot of people overlook Hyundai, but theyve made tremendous strides in the past several years. They have been working DOUBLETIME to shed the poor quality and reliability image handed to them by the Excel... which most people had no idea or remembered was just a rebadged Mitsubishi Precis.

For a while Hyundai and Mitsu were sharing alot of components and eventually Hyundai has distanced themselves from them as much as Chrysler has. DCX though also has their fingers in Hyundais pie as well, which is not surprising.

Their cars are improving at an astonishing pace. (But dont tell davesdeville that.) ;)

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,753 Posts
People say the new Hyundai Sonata is direct competition for the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord.. How long did it take to get that close?

You should see the new Azera (XG350 replacement).. Very, very nice.. Especially the interior..

I've seen pictures of the new Tiburon.. It's almost shocking - in a good way...

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
That Centennial is something else...

It has a V8, Xenon Headlamps (something no US Hyundai yet offers), Heated/Cooled seats, Electroluminescent gauge cluster, a stretched wheelbase version, and all the power stuff you could ever need.

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,753 Posts
As you probably already know, Hyundai is planning on starting a luxury division (like Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infinity) in 2007 or so... The Centennial will probably be sold under the new name...

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow....

I dunno... Hyundai I "like".... kinda like how I *don't* like Honda.... I like VW and Subaru...... I like Toyota's trucks and Nissan isn't too bad....

I dunno, just what I could picture myself driving.... and these new Hyundai's have came quite a long way.

the new Sonata I am liking alot. I wish the manual would come witht he V6 though.

If Hyundai makes a luxury car devsion... people will be able to get what would normally be a $60k car for about $35k.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Yeah, if I was going to get a Korean car, it would definately be a Hyundai:D

The Sonata is pretty much awesome for how much you pay for it; for a $22,000 car, you get a 235HP V6 (DOHC), Heated Leather seats, and automatic climate control. Hell, its over $10,000 less than a base model CTS, and I'm not even sure the CTS has all of that standard. I mean, doesn't the base CTS have a wimpy V6???

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heh... how ironic...

so I talk to my father tonight, he is coming down for Thanksgiving.

I ask what kind of car he rented, he said Hyundai Sonata... I said the new 2005? he goes yeah.

So how cool is that? I bet is the basic 4cylinder version, but since it is unlimited milage, and my car is a 2 door, we'll be driving that thing... and since i know how to get aorund here and my father dosn't.... I'll be driving it.

I think thats cool, I really like this car, now I'll get to drive one and see what its like.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Isn't Hyundai one of the world's industrial giants?

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Playdrv4me said:
That Centennial is something else...

It has a V8, Xenon Headlamps (something no US Hyundai yet offers), Heated/Cooled seats, Electroluminescent gauge cluster, a stretched wheelbase version, and all the power stuff you could ever need.
Wow that Centennial is cool! It looks like a 99 LS400!

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
worlds? I dunno about that....

but they make alot of commerical equipment... for lifts, front end loaders etc...

and judging by that international website, quite a few heavy duty trucks and busses.... I bet in the countries over there you see those things around like you see International around over here.

looks like they have some nice turbo diesels.

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,753 Posts
Yeah, Hyundai makes pretty-much everything in South Korea... They're a very capable company. Most people don't realize that - and for that reason, figure they can't make automobiles...

Rick. Let us know what you think of the car when you drive it. I drove one a few months ago and was very impressed.. I liked the dual exhaust pipes coming out the back. :D That's a nice touch. It's a quiet, fairly smooth-riding vehicle. Very comfortable.. It's a lot of value for the price..

I'd expect Hyundai's luxury division to only slightly undercut the competition - the way Lexus did in 1989.. Maybe sell the same quality luxury vehicle for $15k less than everyone else..

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I've said it MANY times here. Watch out for Hyundai, they're the next Toyota and their learning curve will be far shorter due to the lessons learned from Toyota and some others. I would also tell you to look for them to spin-off a premium car line similar to Toyota/Lexus in the near future.

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
I have liked the XG3500 since it came out. Neat car with tons of features, allthough I won't be trading my Town Car for it - that's for sure.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This new Sonata is a car I would actually consider buying if I was getting a *newer car* next. The V6 would be really nice, but I would want a manual, so I would end up getting the lower trim level, I think it would be alot of car for the money.

Hopefully I'll get to drive it tomorrow... I am excited.

I believe Hyundai is posing a big treat.... but to to American car brands as much as imports.... there are 2 types of people... people that buy domestics and wont change, and people that buy imports... but don't care about brand.

I think Hyundai will be really cutting into Honda/Toyota/Nissan sales much more then GM/Ford/Chrysler.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts