Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 2006 STS-V
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have been reading on your site for about 6 months now but only recently registered. I was in California last friday getting the stage 1 kit, plus the stage 2 intake installed on my V, and after getting two days to fully test it out, I decided to post to you guys about the setup and my experience with D3!

I worked with James, super nice guy, happily explains and answers all questions.

I don't know if the actual pipes are ready yet, but they took care of me due to my strict time constraints, and had given me one of the prototype pipes, that they sent out that day to get powder coated for the crinkle finish. This also required a upgrade to the tuner with a different tune specific to the stage 2 intake.

Pictures, dyno tune and ET's to follow, as soon as I can!

First fit and finish. I am sure the weld marks and seams will not be seen on your guys finished pipes, but I can easily see where the pipe was welded together. The powder coat looks outstanding, only problem is that when I had gotten back to Vegas I noticed that the pipe did not fit correctly, and was stretching out the rubber attachments at the back of the intake. I actually had to take off the pipe and bend it to prevent the rubber from ripping apart and get the pipes aligned(once again your pipes should fit fine, mine was a prototype) which caused the powder coating to flake off in a couple of spots. No big deal, I just masked off the connecting ends and used canned bedliner spray to recoat the pipes, to which it looks a little better if you ask me with this coating. Along with the intake the second part the overall fit looks real nice and does not interfear with any components, but to let you know, the engine cover will not fit on the motor anymore without a lot of trimming! I chose to leave it off.

While driving the intake really makes a lot of noise and you can hear the supercharger winding up, which sounds great and is not noticable under normal driving, but there when you get on it. Just to let you know this noise on my 5 hour drive back from California to Vegas, can get quite annoying when doing about 90 to 100mph under acceleration. With the traffic, I was constantly getting on and off the gas. Under normal or steady driving of around 80mph, you don't even know anything has been done to the vehicle.

POWER:
Ok, when you get the full stage 1 kit, look out, man the car is a different vehicle, and just feels powerfull everywhere from idle to redline. A lot more torque down low, and pull up top. It isn't your typical 10hp gain at redline, but a huge power adder from idle all the way up! The overall gain is impressive, and surprising. I have owned many vehicles, including 2 corvettes that I have modified, and nothing has given this much of a jump in power for so little cost. I can do repeated burn outs, and it just keeps spinning the tires until the vehicle shifts into second gear!

The upgrade to stage 2 intake, or stage 1.5 with the upgrading in tunning really changes the exhaust sound of the vehicle and gives a nice power gain over the stage 1 kit. It is not of course a massive jump like stage 1, but adds very nicely to the stage 1 kit, for the cost of $675, and does give a improvement once again all over the rpm range. It is gain and for the small cost of $675 well worth it to me.

Lastly I noticed when driving normal that my gas mileage has gone from the average 15mpg to about 17 and a little above. But mostly my mileage has gone down a little cause it is like driving a new car, and I have had my foot mashed a lot. I did have a problem where the car started shifting real abruptly, but then this smoothed out after a short time. It appears when the battery is disconnected that the transmission looses all its info it gains to learn how to drive with you. I also had a check engine light come on twice for emission problems. I reset the computer and the light stayed off until once again I was just about out of gas. The light turned on in the first place after refilling the vehicle. I believe that this happened due to recieving bad gasoline. Have been driving all day yesterday with no check engine lights.

Lastly I also had installed a larger intercooler fluid cooler put in, which holds an additional 1 liter of water, and has a strong 1650cfm fan assembly to keep your motor from suffering from heat sink. They charge $425 for this unit, and it fits and looks better than the factory unit, with billet aluminum mounting brackets that look sweet, too bad it is hidden behind the front bumper! They did not have the thermal switch available at the time but they prewired it, and will send me the fan controler when they get it in. I have already noticed, especially with the 110 degree Vegas days, that the vehicle already seems to barely feel any heat soak like when stock!

I will take pictures later today or tommorrow, and I will try to see if the local dyno shop can schedule me in this week for results. Also there is a test and tune on 08/10 that I will attend. I am here to tell you that D3 is top notch and super great to deal with. I have a lot of experience with dealing with aftermarket companies and many are not willing to bend over backwards for you, or take the time to make their stuff look so stock. Hell they even gave me a contact person at the dealership to deal with with warrenty items. Talk about service!

·
Registered
2007 stsv. 2005 ctsv(r.i.p)
580 Posts
thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts!! i also agree that d3 handle their customers very well..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
06 STS-V, 08 STS-V, 14 Raptor, 12 Camaro SS, 08 FJ
1,777 Posts
I am still very interested in the Stage 2 intake. I am even considering buying a spare engine cover to modify so the engine bay looks more stock yet still covering up some of the whine. After all it's still the wifes car most of the time.
D3 Please hurry up and finish the development. :worship:
My HP tune is on order and my tuner is on standby for a tune/dyno session..... I am going to leave the stock exhaust on for now, just to see what kind of HP gain can be had with just a tune and intake install. I hope for a +50 hp gain. Maybe more with an exhaust.:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Great write-up. I am getting high performance better spark plugs that Craig at D3 recommended as well as the Stage I intake, Stage II pipes and possibly the new intercooler which I am just hearing about now.

I am going to do a bone stock dyno run on my STS-V, get D3 to do the work and then return to my local dyno tuner for some great results after the parts are all installed.

SG

·
Registered
Cadillac 2006 STS-V
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, yeah, I forgot I had them put the higher performance spark plugs in also! 120$ for the set, but garunteed for life, and if you know a little bit about plugs like I do, you can see how these would work with the materials that it is made of and the interesting construction design. How much gain if any, don't know since I got them done at the same time as the 1.5 tune.

·
Registered
NONE
928 Posts
I wanted to quickly address one thing stated about the intercooler upgrade, the mounting brackets are not billet aluminum, but a mild steel with a wrinkle silver powdercoat. They do look sharp though and we're glad you're happy with the mods!

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I wanted to quickly address one thing stated about the intercooler upgrade, the mounting brackets are not billet aluminum, but a mild steel with a wrinkle silver powdercoat. They do look sharp though and we're glad you're happy with the mods!
Thank you so much Craig for being there through all my emails and questions. You are the best my friend and I can't wait to get down there to get everything installed! Just let me know when the Stage II pipes are in stock.

SG

·
Registered
Cadillac 2006 STS-V
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dropped my stupid camera, Oh well pictures later I quess, if someone else doesn't get to it first. I recently trimmed my engine cover to fit as good as possible, this cut down on the supercharger noise about 30%.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I dropped my stupid camera, Oh well pictures later I quess, if someone else doesn't get to it first. I recently trimmed my engine cover to fit as good as possible, this cut down on the supercharger noise about 30%.
The louder the blower, the better! It is way too quiet in stock form!

SG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts