Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
'06 D3 STS-V and '05 CTS-V
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
To this day on the D3 website under their STS-V Legacy Chassis Performance Upgrades f/ [for] the Pulley Kit they state "Gain of +/- 30 +/- 60 BHP depending on existing or additional modifications such as, intake, exhaust, headers, ported blower, etc..." .... and the "etc." most likely means the addition of Meth Injection and D3 Intercooler reservior that is also on the STS-V Performance page.

So D3 is advertising a gain of +/- 60 BHP (i.e. Brake HP = at the crank or flywheel) which w/ the well established fact that the 6L80 transmission + the differential have a mechanical efficiency of about 78% (i.e. 22% mechanical loss) D3 is selling about 47 RWHP w/ there pulley kit if you also add on about everything else on the performance page they sell f/ [for] the STS-V.

Questions:

1) Are my math, logic and assumptions correct?

2) Does anyone have experience that the +/- 47 RWHP is a good range to bank on? (I'm assuming the plus or minus means 1-2 RWHP either way)

3) Does the 47 RWHP increase seem too low or too high?

Thanx f/ [for] any help you can offer !!!

Papa V

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: D3 Published Performance Increase f/ STS-V

Yeah...............he's one of the go-to guys.............I've asked TimC to weigh in on this matter.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac
1,905 Posts

It's not really appropriate for me to evaluate someone else's product. D3 should be able to answer this question.

·
Registered
06' STS V
491 Posts
It's not really appropriate for me to evaluate someone else's product. D3 should be able to answer this question.
Should be,but will they...
And isn't that the whole point of this forum to get other people's opinion and feed back on issues others aren't aware of?
Most everyone knows you sell products,I'm sure D3 wouldn't mind telling us their honest opinion of your stuff,so why not do the same.....

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

I actually don't think D3 would comment on a thread about any of my parts.

·
Registered
'06 STS-V, '17 CTS-V
777 Posts

Timmy, comment on what your products produce then. Your pulley, your intake, etc.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)

OK Timmy.....I have a stock 2006 STS-V that pulled 360 RWHP on a Dynojet inertia chassis dyno. I want to install your 2.55" SC Pulley, your intake system, a set of your TC Fab headers, I plan on losing the cats and I'm going to install a Corsa exhaust system plus I want your cooling reservoir upgrade. I also plan on getting the Blower ported/ polished and I'm going to top it all off w/ Livernois tune.

Will I see 407 RWHP when all is said and done? Would Meth injection help w/ the above setup?

Thanx in advance f/ [for] your help.

PapaV

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
213 Posts

Another member said he gained 20 whp from the spectre intake and another 20 whp from coarse exhaust. i have a spectre intake and magnaflow exhaust and d3 pulley. dynoed at 434whp with tune, so 47 or so whp is about right. base line dyno for me was 350whp. so if I did gain 20whp from exhaust and 20whp from intake, that means d3 pulley gained me 44whp. hopefully this helps

----------

With all of that done, youll be well past 407whp

·
Registered
107 Posts

So u r telling me that u baseline ur stock 07 STS-V-V at 350 RWHP and then installed an intake, catback and a D3 pulley and then the D3 tuner handed u a dyno pull chart that said u now have 434 RWHP? An 84 RWHP increase?.............a 21% RWHP gain f/ [for] approximately 2500$ in parts + 750$ D3 tune? That doesn't even make sense.......556 BHP?

D3's own website says u get about 47 RWHP but are talking about also installing headers (and most likely hi-flow cats) plus a ported blower and God knows what else w/ the "etc.".

Ouch....... My head hurts.

·
Registered
107 Posts

I didn't want this to turn into Peter Pulling contest w/ claims of HP gains that defy logic. The mathematics of increasing ur SC boost w/ a pulley upgrade and the possible HP gains u can expect is pretty straightforward. On a good day w/ 2.55 D3 or TC Fab pulley and the required tune u can expect 18 RWHP........maybe 20. 1madstsv essentially added the same go-fast parts 2007blackbty did and went from a baseline of 358 RWHP to 378 RWHP..........believe it or not.......this is the HP reality when u take into account thermal and mechanical inefficiency seen in a modern car engine. His tuner knew what he was doing.

You have to ask yourself.......did all the highly educated engineers working day in and day out on the LC3 just totally miss 84 RWHP and all the claimed mileage increases u c that go along w/ these claims? Forget about a pulley..........did the LC3 engineers just miss 40 RWHP (51 BHP)?

No.......the problem we c here is the incredible variation in dynometer techniques that lead to these HP gains that contradict each other and that very few want to acknowledge. As a degreed mechanical engineer the possible 60 BHP gain w/ the STS-V's LC3 that D3 advertises makes perfect sense to me.

I was told by a GM engineer on the 2012 HOT ROD POWER TOUR that the LC3's SC is about maxed out as it sits......thermal efficiency becomes a problem when u try to spin it faster w/ a smaller pulley.

i look 4ward to the opinions of my fellow STS-V fanatics.

·
Registered
2008 STS-V, 2008 STS AWD
332 Posts

Doesn't +/- mean there can be a loss of up to 6o BHP as well as a gain of up to 60 BHP?

·
Registered
107 Posts

Doesn't +/- mean there can be a loss of up to 6o BHP as well as a gain of up to 60 BHP?
No.....one of the many D3 personel who go by Dr. Design cleared that up a good while back in these forums. He clearly stated the +/- 60 BHP was meant to mean plus or minus a couple of BHP and admitted it was confusing. That begs the question as to why it still remains on their website.

·
Registered
FS: HP Tuners Std - $400 Shipped
205 Posts

That begs the question as to why it still remains on their website.
From a lot of posts I read (not experience, just to clear that up), they don't stock a lot of those parts on their site anymore. I'm guessing they just don't edit their website.

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
213 Posts

I have had both lower pulleys, tim's and d3's, and it is maxed out with d3's 10% overdrive. also a full exhaust, intake, lower pulley, and tune. 80 rwhp is very possible. and I've done it and several others

·
Registered
107 Posts

Thanx....so let me understand.

You currently have 1) full exhaust?.......down in TX a full exhaust meant headers, a Corsa catback w/ cats deleted.
2) D3 10% pulley
3) full Spectre CAI
4) Pro tune
5) and a lower pulley?

If I am incorrect please list the exact go-fast items that got you 80+ RWHP (103 BHP). I'm having a hard time w/ the fact D3 says you can get 60 BHP by doing what you did.....assuming you don't also have a lower pulley too. So which dyno tech got it right......yours or D3's?

FYI....there is a guy on this forum who had his stock STS-V baselined... He had 5 pulls that ranged from 402 to 407 RWHP. Poor guy actually thinks he has 407 RWHP as a starting point f/ [for] his upcoming mods.

What say you?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

I didn't want to step on a thread about D3 parts but it seems like it has drifted a little now.

Headers, my 2.4, my intake, heat exchanger, injectors, and tune will be in the 420rwhp range. More with ported blower and 85mm throttle body. Lots of people have done it.

·
Registered
107 Posts

I didn't want to step on a thread about D3 parts but it seems like it has drifted a little now.

Headers, my 2.4, my intake, heat exchanger, injectors, and tune will be in the 420rwhp range. More with ported blower and 85mm throttle body. Lots of people have done it.
420 RWHP makes sense......and this is with a 2.4 and injectors to keep the SC fed properly. I assume your 420 RWHP is a reference to my 360 RWHP baseline. There are a dozen STS-V owners w/ only a 2.55 and no injector upgrade but everything else you list and report 440 - 470 RWHP. Simply can't happen w/o a poorly run dyno pull. So D3's 60 BHP (47 RWHP) they advertise is right on the mark because they are referencing a 2.55.

I have asked Dr. Design to clarify the 60 BHP sales pitch. I don't really expect him to but I hope he does.........he probably doesn't like me much anymore.

Thanx f/ [for] the input TC.

LOVE THE HEADERS!

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
213 Posts

I have magnaflow xpipe and magnaflow mufflers, which is the same as a borla full system but flow's better. borla's piping is 2.5 same same as stock. spectre full intake, and d3's 10% overdrive lower pulley, and tune. also didn't metion injectors and heat exchanger, and bigger pump cuz they add no power. d3 only offers a lower pulley. seems you didnt know that. when I had all the power add on's listed and tim's lower I was at 434rwhp and 454rwtq, then switched to d3's lower and 434rwhp, actually gained 0.1 hp and lost 32 tq. and thats why I believe d3 didnt make it any bigger cuz there was no more hp to gain. hopefully this helps you. good luck with getting more power. enjoy

1 - 20 of 54 Posts