Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
That isn't correct for 2014 ELR, 2011-2015 Volt.
The legal requirement is defined by rate of decel. For the original Volt (2011-2015), using L isn't aggressive enough to hit this requirement - so it isn't implemented. There is no difference in regen for 2014 and 2016 ELRs when using 'L', and all ELRs brake lights do come on when slowing sufficiently using 'L'. Also comes on with the paddles - which the old Volt didn't have.

The only difference with 2016 ELRs regarding braking is that they have a better blended brake feel when using the actual brake.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Unless the ELR is different than the GEN1 Volt, this is incorrect. No brake lights until you step on the brake.
My '14 ELR brake lights come on when I A) engage the regen paddles and/or B) remove my foot from the throttle when shift is in L mode.

Just also did a search and found the following on a Volt site. This is possibly referring to 2nd gen Volt, but this is also how my '14 ELR responds in the same scenarios.

A) Drive in D, foot off accelerator, coasting (minimal deceleration) - Brake Lights OFF

B) Drive in L, foot off the accelerator - Brake Lights ON
- Regen must be above -5 kWh (only metric -other than speed- I could quantify, perhaps they use accelerometer to trigger).
- if you slow to under -5 kWh regen, or under about 5mph, brake light will go off, even if you are still slowing down.

C) Drive in L, feather accelerator, foot off brake - Brake Lights OFF
- Even at highways speeds where I could feather regen to over -15kWh, brake light would remain OFF
- I could only get the Brake Lights to turn ON if I was almost completely off the accelerator (see prior condition - B)

D) Any Drive Mode, Regen Paddle activated, foot off the accelerator - Brake Lights ON
- There is a slight delay - maybe 1/2 second- after activating the Regen Paddle before the brake lights come ON
- Below a certain speed the brake lights will go OFF
(or rate of deceleration, or amount of regen - in any case you're only going 2-4 mph)

This may not be indicative of all situations, but it is reassuring to know that when driving in 'L' and you take your foot off the accelerator, the Brake Lights will be ON.

·
2016 ELR
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That's some concise tech info Nostra! That totally makes sense that it would go off under a certain regen amount. I didn't get that down to the nuts of it about slowing to a stop, but that's totally cool if it does shut off at a creep. I know on my i3 I swear it would come on anytime your foot is not giving it juice, even at 1mph.

Thanks for taking the time to write that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have yet to try the “L” position. I was wanting a bit more regen braking occasionally and this may fit the bill. The owner’s manual says the brake lights “may” come on when your foot is not pressing the accelerator in this position. It will, but this avoids litigation in the event of a crash. Harrumph! Lawyers.

·
2016 ELR
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well what's great is that the ELR like the later Volts gives you so many ways to drive and enjoy the car (all the electric or gas/electric modes, and then the D or L choice, and then regen on demand on top of THAT). I went from L mode all the time to D mode most of the time unless I'm on a steeper slope or stop and go traffic.

I live where I can use coasting way more than when I lived close-in, so D works more for me. If I still lived close-in I'd probably be in L mode all the time.....

Funny thing is my wife didn't really say much about the car or even after getting it (because she loves her FPace and lives for stop light Gran Prix). But since I got the black wheels and she's going more with me for dinner and such and saving gas, she's really liking the looks and the car and has made several comments about how sharp it looks... Ha, I knew she'd come around....

21 - 25 of 25 Posts