Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 DI RWD w/ Prem & Perf Pkgs Blk/Blk FE2
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how the cylinders are numbered for the DI engine looking at the engine from the front of the car? I feel stupid asking this but there is conflicting information on the web. I know the firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6 but where is #1 cylinder and how are they laid out? My Chevelle's engine has the #1 on the driver's side front with odds on the driver side and evens on the passenger side from the front so I am showing my age. Thanks for the understanding. :hide:

·
Registered
2008 DI RWD w/ Prem & Perf Pkgs Blk/Blk FE2
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought the same thing about the crankshaft and yes, I verified they swapped the odd cylinders to the passenger side and evens to the driver side as I had coils on cylinders #4 and #5 replaced at the dealer and just checked their positions. Thanks for the replies and this thread should help people who get cylinder codes in the future.

----------

Yes, I saw that this morning, was under the apparently mistaken assumption that firing "in order" was only possible with a radial layout.
Would certainly like to see a photo of this crankshaft.
Thanks for the info
Do you mean like a rotary engine that Mazda was known for?

·
Registered
CTS
722 Posts
----------

[/COLOR]Do you mean like a rotary engine that Mazda was known for?
No, I was referring to a radial (aircraft) engine where the cylinders are like spokes in wheel. The term rotary in aircraft refers to the same cylinder arrangement with the crankcase and cylinders rotating around a FIXED crankshaft. This fell out of favor after WW1 Same goofy set up was used ( briefly!)in 3 & 5 cylinder configuration in an obscure rear engine auto called the Adams-Farwell. However I did buy the 1st gen RX-7 when they debuted in `78. Smoooooth, no torque !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts