Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'05 DEVILLE DTS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Deville DTS with a cracked cylinder head. Does anybody have a suggestion as to who could handle a job like that in the Washington, DC area?

·
Registered
'05 DEVILLE DTS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Cylinder Head Problems

It is blowing a lot of white smoke that smells like coolant. A mechanic checked it out today.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
If the smoke does in fact smell like coolant, than there no doubt there's an internal coolant leak. But a cracked head is very unlikely.

If the mechanic diagnosed the cracked head solely based on the smoke, he's not a mechanic.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,453 Posts
Re: Cylinder Head Problems

No idea of any Mom&Pop shops in/near DC. You may be stuck with the 4 Cadillac dealerships and their $110/hour labor rates.

Get in touch with Jake at www.northstarperformance.com to find out if he ships his engine repair parts to a DC shop.

Cracked Northstar cylinder heads are not common. Symptoms ?

·
Registered
'05 DEVILLE DTS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The smoke is the only symptom so far. The fluid level was low last week, so I filled it. My car always says CHECK COOLANT, so I did not know. I think the damage happened then. The shop is suggesting an engine swap. I do not want to do that.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
What was the coolant level when it was "low"? Full is about half way up the tank.

Does the smoke smell like coolant to YOU? Or is this "mechanic" saying that?

The smoke is the only symptom? So no overheating? Then no damage has been done. Even if it did overheat, even several times, no damage would have been done. (Assuming you didn't just keep driving)

As posted, a cracked head is very unlikely. Even if a head was cracked, there is NO reason to replace the engine. If there is an internal coolant leak, the most likely issue, by far, is pulled head bolt hole threads. The best solution is NOT replacing the engine. It's inserting or studding all 20 head bolt holes, and replacing the head gaskets.

Don't go back to this shop.

·
Registered
97 ETC x2, 04 GXP, 04 STS x2, 97 ESC, 99 Deville, 05 SRX
2,603 Posts
I spoke to the original poster this morning. I hope I led him in the right direction.

http://www.northstarperformance.com/studsdealers.php

This is the current list. I have a few shops to add to the list of installers, but nobody in D.C. so far.

Believe me, travel time and cost to a reputable shop who's experienced with these, will save you $$$ and time. Don't trust any amateurs with a Northstar.

If you have any questions I'll be happy to assist by phone (when I have time) and by email or text message after hours. I hope I can assist- thank you

-Jake @ Northstar Performance

·
Registered
'05 DEVILLE DTS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did speak to Jake and he was very helpful. The smoke smells like coolant to me and several others who were there when I started it. The temp gauge had not reached the first notch past normal before I filled it with coolant. It has not overheated since. I contacted one of the installers from the Northstar Performance page and I am waiting to hear from him.

·
Registered
DTS STS deville
1 Posts
Hello, I am new to this forum but I know members have mentioned me on here before. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but if you haven't found anyone to repair your engine then I can handle it for you. I have been repairing these engines for 20 years. I install inserts or studs and give a full warranty. I'm located in limerick Pa. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts