Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the CV Joint part of the CV Axle half shaft itself or is it separate form the half shaft and cv axle

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
CV axle has two CV joints, inner and outer...Those boots that you can see are covering the CV joints. Those boots are filled with grease, to keep the joint lubricated.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah ok i get it now so the cv joint can't be replaced alone
i just am curious cause i can see mine has grease coming out of the boot and i heard a rubbing or a thumping noise when i am turning to the right
but its not clicking so im not sure if its the CV joint that is bad of it it just needs to have the boot replaced and filled again

someone ones told me that if the cv joint is bad you would hear clicking or clunking noise is this true or can it be bad without having that

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,433 Posts
The CV joint CAN be replaced, but the axle has to be removed and the joint split, which still has to be done to replace the boot alone. If the joint is making noise, it has to be replaced, either separately or with a new half shaft.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The CV joint CAN be replaced, but the axle has to be removed and the joint split, which still has to be done to replace the boot alone. If the joint is making noise, it has to be replaced, either separately or with a new half shaft.

maybe im not looking under the right parts but like on Rock Auto it does not show anything for just the CV joint alone
it shows the Half Axle shaft
and it also shows cv boot kits
but arent those just the boots
or do those have the cv joints also

im going in tomorrow afternoon after i pick the car up from the body shop for the molding replacement
to have NTB look at it
so just trying to get a heads up on what to expect
and im preaty sure they are going to come back saying its the shaft since the boot is leaking
i know OEM shafts are still up there like 280 or something like that
aftermarket from cardon is like 60 bucks i think
so if its the case then ill just pick that up since it all has to come out but guess what im asking is
does it sound like it could be a cv joint issue or axle half shaft issue ?

and the CV joint comes with the new axles so thats what is inside the boot already on the shaft that i buy correct ?

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i went to the shop today cause the rubbing noise i was hearing was irritating the heck out of me i thout it was coming from the passenger front but then the Mechanic reminded me that sometimes things like that travel and you can think its coming from one side but its really the other
so he even heard the clubbing and sometimes it even felt like it was clunking
but could not find anything wrong no where that the tire would be rubbing wrong nothing that is not perfect where it should be and NTB likes to find things wrong especially when they look at it for free the only thin he found was the passenger cv joint half shaft joint was leaking a little grease but not much he said that that still is not causing the noise
and he can't figure it out
any idea what this could be anyone els have this ?
he checked the entire front end including fender wells and all and no reason for it to be doing anything other then being quiet and it only happens when turning to the right

·
Registered
2002 Seville SLS, all black--261,000 miles
934 Posts
Re: Rubbing Noise thought it was the CV joint but tech says its not

I replaced my passenger side half shaft with the cheapie you mentioned and wasn't particularly happy that it had a cylindrical housing while the original had a more triangular housing; the replacement seemed heavier, too. But that didn't matter much since, during installation I nicked a boot with a screwdriver tip--just nicked it--and that was enough to cause the grease to leak out. Maybe "leak" is the wrong word; "expel" might be a better one. That shaft spins very rapidly. I started seeing little blobs of grease all over the place under there. By the time I replaced it with a "reman" cheapie, having the "tripot" housing, there wasn't much grease left in the boot, as evidenced by the fact that the boot was all sucked in to the joint. If I had it to do over again I'd probably bite the bullet and get the $200+ part, at least for piece-of-mind, since it's such a critical, high-stress component.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts