Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 sts 4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I recently purchased an 05 STS 4 AWD. First of all I am in love with this car. Usually I buy a car and immediately make a dream list of mods, but with this one, basically nothing is needed, which is nice! I would like to do some small mods such as an exhaust for a good nice low rumble and improved air intake. I have located a good thread for the exaust, so I am good there, but any preferred air intakes? and If i get both, will I need to remap due to incorrect air to fuel ratio?

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
Connect a ScanGauge-II to your diagnostics port and monitor intake air temperatures for a while to get a handle on how the perfectly adequate factory CAI and large filter handles various conditions of road, traffic, hot idle. Then, if the mood strikes you, monitor the changes when you install an aftermarket Hot Air Intake. You may be unpleasantly surprised after you spend the money on hype (particularly for a NA engine). www.scangauge.com

Find out if CORSA makes a cat-back setup for your car. www.corsaperformance.com

·
Registered
'11 CTS-V Coupe M6, '05 1SG STS4 V8
377 Posts
^Lol that post was perfect.

Yeah don't bother with an intake.

There's a guy that can do an ECM and TCM tune for you, goes by madtuner I believe? That's about it for the NA N*.

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6 RWD
117 Posts
Yeah, the intake is plenty for both the V6 and V8. You'd do much better to spend your money on tuning the ECM and TCM instead. When doing 70 on the interstate, intake temperature is about 90f on an 80f day in Mississippi. It does get up to about 140 when idling for long periods of time, but it'll be even worse with a "cold" air intake due to the metal pipe and pulling hot air from the engine bay.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
Yes, it has been discussed many times, the OEM intake can flow more air than the engine can use at WOT and the temps aren't bad either.
You can add an intake for the sound change but if not done correctly you may reduce the amount of air allowed into the engine and potentially create a 'warm air intake' instead.

You can get Borla GMPP cat-back exhaust new from borla for about $600/$700 I believe (I got mine from them about 1.5 years ago now), adds a nice sound.
You can also get a ported throttle body from TimmyC but I don't think it will add anything to the 4.6L engine.
Going the MadTuner ECM/TCM tune is going to be the most fun, and most of the work is done to the TCM so if you can't afford both the TCM is where you want to concentrate and based on the year of your STS he is the only tuner that can tune the modules used in that car.

·
Registered
2005 sts 4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What will the ECM & TCM do for the car and how hard is it on the engune? I am a pretty gentle driver with occasional harder pushes and take care of my car. My fiancee is pretty protective / conservative, especially since my last car broke down faster than I could fix haha. 125k on engine

----------

Oh and is it a self install or should I have a shop perform since my mechanical skills is limited to oil changes haha

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
If your mechanical skills have the depth of tissue paper I would strongly recommend that you keep the car clean, maintained in accordance with the recommended service charts, and enjoy the ride. Tinkering to "make it better" ALWAYS causes problems. Customization ???? A tad of window tint, a decent set of all-season performance tires, fuzzy dice on the mirror. Cadillac still speaks "Cadillac !!!" - why screw it up to look like a local high school ricer ?

For your second fun only car ??? The sky is the limit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts