Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend got a custom exhaust done. He went true duals 2 inch pipes all the way on his 3.2L. His exhaust system looks just like you" one phat guy", 2 separate resonators...but offcourse they are both 2 inch pipes all the way.
Me and him have everything similar on our car. He has factory 16inch wheels on now and so do i too. We both have 5-speed automatic, volant but different exhaust. Mines borla, his is custom as i mentioned above.
But his car sounds better than mine? His does have more interior sound but its faster than mine too. Just by a little bit and now thats weird. I thought borla was suppose to give the most hp.
Tell me what you guys think.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
It's possible but I find it hard to believe that a local muffler shop could design a one off exhaust superior to the Borla with all their engineers and resources.
Borla may have compromised a bit to eliminated the interior drone your buddy has. The drone would really upset me.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
well, the way i see, you're trading certain things. here we go:

with more interior sound, i assume that it has less restrictions. being a large company, borla probably has industry emission standards that they "just" make so they can produce their exhausts legally in all states. everyone knows that muffler shops often do things (like take off cats) so the car has more performace but isn't necessarily legal everywhere.

it's possible that they found the "right" combination of elements to really increase low end torque. if you're only getting beat by a little, i'd rather have a slightly less annoying car for everyday driving than a loud car that is slightly more powerful.

the answer? headers and cats. that ought to put him in his place. i'm hoping once i put these on no one can touch me (in my class).

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
TripleOught said:
well, the way i see, you're trading certain things. here we go:

with more interior sound, i assume that it has less restrictions. being a large company, borla probably has industry emission standards that they "just" make so they can produce their exhausts legally in all states. everyone knows that muffler shops often do things (like take off cats) so the car has more performace but isn't necessarily legal everywhere.

it's possible that they found the "right" combination of elements to really increase low end torque. if you're only getting beat by a little, i'd rather have a slightly less annoying car for everyday driving than a loud car that is slightly more powerful.

the answer? headers and cats. that ought to put him in his place. i'm hoping once i put these on no one can touch me (in my class).
Watch it 3x0! MI isn't that far from OH. I might come gunnin' for you with my Huggers!:D

·
Registered
413 Posts
3x0, you and I are in the same class: Volant intake, my borla is at home waiting for me to get back and get it installed, and I'm on the list for the headers :)

Quick question, anyone going to hollow out the cats for a bigger gain?

·
Registered
100 Posts
CadiKing2006 said:
My friend got a custom exhaust done. He went true duals 2 inch pipes all the way on his 3.2L. His exhaust system looks just like you" one phat guy", 2 separate resonators...but offcourse they are both 2 inch pipes all the way.
Me and him have everything similar on our car. He has factory 16inch wheels on now and so do i too. We both have 5-speed automatic, volant but different exhaust. Mines borla, his is custom as i mentioned above.
But his car sounds better than mine? His does have more interior sound but its faster than mine too. Just by a little bit and now thats weird. I thought borla was suppose to give the most hp.
Tell me what you guys think.
I think custom exhausts are great to have for people that work at muffler shops, that are obssessed to make them. Especially for caddy's. Also, you could get more power and torque with custom exhaust at half the price than brand name exhausts, such as corsa, b&b, and borla, that cost twice as much to pay for them. For a couple hundred bucks you could get a loud ass thundering exhaust, with hp and torque, at hardly no cost, but thats just my opinion. But then you would have loud ass sound, which would make a caddy not a caddy anymore.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
I don't know if Borla gives the most HP, but it's the quietest performance exhaust of the bunch. I'm sure the 2 in-2 out resonator may eat up some power, at the expense of drone and noise. I love the sound of mine.

I got 200 to 204 lb-ft (~3700 RPM) on each of my dyno runs with various intakes (200 was stock intake, 204 was with K&N), which equates to 242 lb-ft at the flywheel assuming the very conservative 17.5% drivetrain loss that the V guys assume (20% is more normal). That's 22 lb-ft (10%) over stock, just for the exhaust. Good enough for me, especially for a bolt on exhaust that took me less than an hour to install myself!

HP was 195 at the rear wheels, which equates to 236 (again, assuming 17.5% loss) at the flywheel, or 16 HP. This tells me that most of the gains were in the mid-range where you need it most.

An automatic likely has more drivetrain loss (~20% to ~25%), vs. a manual transmission (17.5% claimed by the V guys, to 20%). Until you both get dyno runs with data, it's hard to tell which one has the most HP, but my guess is that the difference is within the measurement error of a few HP. As long as you're happy with the Borla, it shouldn't matter. It's just as easy to screw up with a custom exhaust as it is to make one work. If his is all stainless, like the Borla, it wasn't cheap. I'll bet it was mild steel all the way (don't know if rust is a factor in Georgia, but in VA, an mild steel exhaust will rust out in four years).

If you're friend balked at coughing up $1000 for the Borla, then there's no way he'll cough up $1700 for the headers, which will add another 30-40 HP. There is an old racing addage "Speed costs money . . . . how fast can you afford to go?" LOL

·
Registered
413 Posts
Agreed Odysseus, speed costs money. For the 3.2L, I think the Borla is best, as the Corsa is just a y-pipe. We put a Borla on my fathers 300C, and it sounds beautiful. I will look into getting an X-Pipe installed on the Borla though, I'm not really concerned much with sound.

I was looking into a custom exhaust, but there is no shop in town that has a mandrel bending machine, which is what you want, that and T-304 Stainless Steel.

Odysseus, I agree with you on the power loss numbers as well. I experienced about a 25% loss on my auto trans, and my father had a loss of about 22% on his 300C. Would be nice if the auto trans wouldn't loose so much...

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
HOw did you messure your friends CTS is quicker?

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
Even measuring exhaust tuning on the dynameter is not a "true measure" of exhaust gas scavenging when trying to measure RWHP and torque gains on a dyno. Using the dynameter as a measuring tool is at best "subjective" and should carry a "disclaimer" as it is based on ambient temperature and dial in when you attempt to measure potential increases or whether one or any cat-back exhaust system whether it be Borla, Corsa, B&B or Factory Custom is better or more effective than its counterpart.

In order to really "level the playing field" on measuring exhaust gas scavenging and ultimately RWHP and torque gains when comparing one catback system to another is not to use the dyno at all; but to use the "rack" and flow bench measure cylinder head pressure when comparing the two different cat-back systems assuming the engines entire combustion chamber and everything down to the cats are identical. Once the exhaust gases have left the cats and you have measured cylinder head pressure on the very next intake stroke will you find out how truly effiecient the design of the exhaust system is with regard to the use of of a cross-over x-pipe or H-pipe, pipe diameter and mandrel bend versus crimp bend and ultimately any type of thermal coatings or "proprietary engineering bends" or internal muffler vortexes that may speed up the process of "cleaning the pipes".

There are just to many variables with measuring RWHP and torque to fairly compare the effectiveness or superiority of one exhaust system versus another. The flow bench is used to measure CFM's with regard to cylinder head pressure, intake and exhaust stroke and air flow and should be equally utilized in measuring exhaust gas scavenging when comparing cat-back exhaust systems before suggesting that an x-pipe with 3" ID is superior to an H-pipe with 2.5" ID when you fail to take into account any issues regarding potential back-pressure and sometimes a little back-pressure is good depending on your intended application.

I think ultimately, allot of exhaust systems with regard to what they truly contribute to RWHP and torque are grossly overstated as they are measured on the dynameter with to many subjective dial in features at the beginning.

At least that is what my eyeballs have seen!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts