Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Phantom Gray Performance
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out Vsport makes a great commuter/loner car (especially when taking back roads). However, for family trips, the car is kind of boring:

I can't come to stop signs braking from 60-0 in 98 feet.
I can't take 45mph ramps at 125 mph.
I can't go from 0-60mph in 4.5 seconds in Track mode using paddle shifters at traffic lights.

So I am thinking about getting a BMW 328i with a manual shifter and Dynamic Handling Package (no sport package, no moonroof, and no AWD).

Do you think I will enjoy the bimmer in this different application? Basically, I am looking for a moderate performance that is still engaging to drive on long trips without kids vomiting in the back.

·
Registered
2014 CTS VSport white tri coat/cashmere interior
291 Posts
I don't think the BMW will make much difference. If I were you I would try a Miata! I hear that they're fun even at 25 mph!

·
Registered
2014 CTS V-Sport/2015 Escalade/Sold 2013 CTS-V Stealth Ed
428 Posts
What you stated is true for almost all performance cars. You could also say the same for off road vehicles like the Range Rover, Wrangler, Raptor etc. You can't really off road on the way to the mall. That being said, I to get bored with my V-Sport when not pushing it. I also got bored of my CTS-V with a super charged V8. You might want to consider the new Focus RS with a stick. Smaller cars like the Miata, Focus, Mini Cooper offer a lot of usable everyday fun. On the flip side they are tiny and lack luxury. I think an aggressive exhaust a la Jag F type or ZL1 Camaro adds fun to any drive without losing your license.

·
Registered
2014 CTS V Sport Premium
31 Posts
This has to be a joke to think that a BMW 328 could possibly be more engaging to drive than the V Sport.
Maybe try lighting yourself on fire next time you drive....that should get you "engaged".
Now go play on the freeway.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ha! Interesting post/question...the opposite of my thread (currently next to this one in the list)!

As they say, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow!

Admittedly, one of my hangups about switching from my current 3-series to a V-Sport is the lack of a manual transmission. I love the continual engagement with the car rowing my own gears. So my quandary is whether or not to get a 335i M-Sport Manual 6-speed or a V-Sport Premium.

·
Registered
2014 CTS VSport white tri coat/cashmere interior
291 Posts
I read that a couple of people on here use the manual mode in the V sport all the time to make it more engaging. I do it once in a while, but I think that a person would really need a louder exhaust to make it easier to use it that way. I find myself watching the tachometer too much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts