Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much ampere does the car battery normal consume when everything is off (ignition is off)?

Is it normal that there is always power on the cigarette lighter even if the ignition is off?

(1999 Cadillac seville STS)

thanks

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,997 Posts
How much ampere does the car battery normal consume when everything is off (ignition is off)?
Not sure, but It is milliamperes (not much).

Is it normal that there is always power on the cigarette lighter even if the ignition is off?
Yes, I believe so.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Fifty milliamps after 10 minutes.

I think it depends on how the fuse is inserted in the fuse holder; there are (should be) two positions on the lighter fuse, one is constant and one is timed off at 10 minutes.

(1999 Cadillac seville STS)

·
Registered
Cadillac
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My '02 draws 31 mA + or - , so that's roughly 1/10 amp/hr every 3 hours of standby time. 8/10 amp/hr every day. 24 amp/hr in a month. An automotive starting battery is actually very low "amp/hr" rated, and is lousy at supplying long-term current drains, so 20-30 days at that sort of draw would result in a "dead" battery (< 12.1 V). Not sure about the way to change the "hot" setting of the kick panel lighter outlet. You can always go to a marine deep cycle battery, lose a few CCA, and be sure it will roll the engine after protracted current drains......BUT, you'll have to allow somewhat longer charging times. If you're going to lay the car up for longer than a week, buy a small "smart" battery maintainer, hook it up correctly when you need it, and rest easy.......BTW, have you noticed that whenever you drive by a dealer car lot there's always some sort of battery charger between a couple of cars????? Now you know why.......
Yeah - you're right! Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
Cadillac
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think I found the problem.

If I remove the relay/fuse nr.58 (cigarette lighter) on the fuseholder the current consumption of the car battery is exact 50 milliamps. If I insert the relay the current consumption of the car battery is about 200 milliamps.

How is this relay controlled? How can I make this relay electroless as soon as the ignition is off?

What would you suggest?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts