Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015.ESV.Premium
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought our 2015 ESV last year with 54k miles; it has not driven much this year for obvious reasons and now has just over 62k miles on it.

I've heard horror stories about the $$ to replace the struts around the 60?k mile mark.

I did buy an extended warranty when buying the truck of which, some of the warranty packages run out in Jan.2021.

Is there a definitive accepted GM policy on when the struts get replaced or is it a case of "if it ain't broken, screw it" scenario?

Thanks

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,295 Posts
As far as your extended warranty goes, if a strut or shock has worn out - as opposed to fallen apart and hanging off the car - you'll never see a dime from the dealership or warranty company. Worn struts/shocks fall under normal maintenance (non-warranty) items.

"Extended warranties" make money for someone - and it isn't you. Instead of a policy I dedicated $50 a month into a self-insurance money market. We've had the car 15 years and used precious little of the money during that time and so currently have over $7500 "insurance" and it's OUR money.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade
49 Posts
You'll know when it goes bad. My recommendation is to get rid of the magnetic ride when the stock stuff goes out. I went with Fox Coilovers and Bilsteins out back. I've had both and my new set up is WAY better.

·
Registered
2015.ESV.Premium
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'll know when it goes bad. My recommendation is to get rid of the magnetic ride when the stock stuff goes out. I went with Fox Coilovers and Bilsteins out back. I've had both and my new set up is WAY better.
Can you expand on that ...

How much did they cost .. and from where?
(just done a brief search for rear Bilsteins and nothing showed up for our 2015 esv)
Did you replace them yourself or a garage do it for you?
(effort involved if you did it yourself?)

Thanks all for the insightful comments. :)

·
Registered
2015 Escalade
49 Posts
Can you expand on that ...

How much did they cost .. and from where?
(just done a brief search for rear Bilsteins and nothing showed up for our 2015 esv)
Did you replace them yourself or a garage do it for you?
(effort involved if you did it yourself?)

Thanks all for the insightful comments. :)
I did most of the work myself. I did have to bring the coilovers into a shop to adjust. They come with a 2" lift from Fox so they turned them 26 turns to get it to factory height. Take a look at my thread below to get the details on what I bought.

·
Registered
2018 Escalade ESV
333 Posts

·
Registered
18 ESV Pemium &18 XT5 Premium
89 Posts
I had to replace my fronts on a '15 YoukonXL Denali at 40k. GMC laughed at me when I bitched. I've been told by my local Cadillac dealer they're covered under the CPO warranty. This is NOT the dealer I bought the truck from. I guess I'll find out some day. '18 with 25k. Cannot wait to replace the Bridgestones with Michelins. Made a huge difference on the Yukon.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade ESV Premium
135 Posts
I had to replace my fronts on a '15 YoukonXL Denali at 40k. GMC laughed at me when I bitched. I've been told by my local Cadillac dealer they're covered under the CPO warranty. This is NOT the dealer I bought the truck from. I guess I'll find out some day. '18 with 25k. Cannot wait to replace the Bridgestones with Michelins. Made a huge difference on the Yukon.
I have a CPO Escalade and had to replace a strut. It was NOT covered.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade
49 Posts
.......and this is the reason I got rid of all that shit suspension. Doesn't last and is way to expensive.

·
Registered
2016 ESV Platinum
147 Posts
There's a guy on YouTube who just posted a video replacing all four on his wife's Escalade at 81K miles. Three of the four were blown out and leaking. He was going to go aftermarket but somehow he got a deal on OEM parts through the dealer. The job is doable yourself with hand tools and a spring compressor (or take them to a shop) it just takes some time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Suspension is covered on the Cadillac protection plan. Purchased it through James Black Cadillac. Anything under 12k gets “new car pricing” on the warranty. My 18’ ESV had 11k miles when I purchased last year. 72 month 75k mile warranty was $1680. CPO warranty will not cover shocks. Sewell Cadillac Service manager confirms this. Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts