Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Escalade Premium
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today after I got home, I noticed coolant driping from the front of the car. I opened the hood and from what I saw it appeared to be leaking from the upper rad hose, but I couldn"t tell exactly where it was coming from. I drive 200Km/day and there was no way I was going to drive with a coolant leak. It was not pouring out but a constant drip. I decided to explore the problem and possible find a quick fix, like a rad hose. How wrong I was.
It wasn"t the hose.
The rad end cap was cracked. Hair line that is...

Since this rad will be replaced I pulled the end cap off to find this:

Those black things are the rubber gasget that seals the end caps to the rad, apparently disintergrated into pieces or was pinched on assembly, otherwise curious how that could happen. Poor maintenance maybe?
I also found this:

My only thought on this was, it's either the bars leak or the pucks. It's soft and mushy like wet soap.

You can see it all through the rad.

And on top of all that I was working in the driveway. -12C Brrrrrr in the dark.
Tomorrow I hunt down a replacement Rad.
My overall thought on the rubber pieces is a flush or draining the system will not remove the debris. Maybe high pressure, those suckers were wedged in there pretty tight.
Anyways, thats my problem for today and tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
Dumb question: what is an "End Cap"? I know what the radiator is, but how does the end cap work with the Radiator? I though the radiator was just the "big ridged box that had incoming and outgoing coolant hoses"

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
Perhaps a better word is "side tank". The side tank is where the oil and trans coolers are housed (one on each side). The coolant travels from one tank (inlet), through the radiator to the other tank (outlet).

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Yep, you can replace the tanks, they are prone to cracking like that.
The temperature cycling and pressure just wear them out over time.
I'd say it's best to replace that whole radiator and sell the old one for scrap or give it to someone who will.

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
Ranger said:
Perhaps a better word is "side tank". The side tank is where the oil and trans coolers are housed (one on each side). The coolant travels from one tank (inlet), through the radiator to the other tank (outlet).
so if i'm following you correctly... the radiator is in the center, and it has a take on each side? one for cooling the oil and the other for cooling the transmission fluid?

thanks ranger!

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The tanks are basically to seal up each end. If you look at those pics you'll see the metal "ribbed" coolers inside each tank.
The tanks aren't actually the coolers, they just contain coolers.
You can actually replace the coolers independent of the tanks or vice versa.
The coolers rarely fail, the tanks often do. I usually just transfer the coolers to the replacement tanks.

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
On these North*s, that particular end tank (the one with the upper hose) is the one that usually gets the hairline crack, right below the hose.

I replaced my radiator a couple of years ago with one from Automotive Radiator Exchange. Don't know if they are still around. Found them on eBay.

Ewill, you work with Cadillacs all day, but do you drive one? Kinda curious.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Sadly, no.
I used to work at a Chevy store and am still working to pay off my Trailblazer I bought in '02. (getting close)
I like working on Cads and someday hope to own one but to date... :(

I can't decide which one I would get if I was going to buy one.
Right now all my money goes towards my house payment!

·
Registered
2016 Escalade Premium
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New rad is in... I also replaced the Thermostat. Which by the way has a rubber o-ring type gasket. Thats what those rubber pieces where. I think they were over tightened the last time it was changed and crushed the rubber o-ring.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My first thought is that is a Bars Leaks product, not the gm coolant supplement. Maybe a previous owner used the wrong Bars Leaks product.

·
Registered
85 Eldo Biarritz
808 Posts
No, I think that the brown goo is the Bars Leak (GM) supplement. I've always suspected that it would accumulate in low spots and this just confirms it. It is ground up ginger root, walnuts and various other spices. This makes perfect sense. Even Bbob admitted that this stuff might settle down in some corners or low spots. He said that once the thermostat is open and you rev up the engine, most of the stuff will disperse back into the coolant.

Actually, what I'm seeing in those excellent pictures is better than I expected. I expected much worse accumulation.

My reasoning was that you always put in new tablets when you change coolant. But when do you change the coolant? When the engine is cold and hasn't been running for a while. Plenty of time for the supplement goo to settle down.

Then you drain the old coolant and put in new coolant and new set of supplement tablets.

The cycle is repeated few times during the car ownership. After 10 years you have several loads of the "goo" settled down in your cooling system (because most of it stays in the cooling system).

This all makes perfect sense. I use the supplement but I don't care much for it.

Perfect solution would be if you could smehow drain the old coolant from a hot engine, right after you shut it off (when the "goo" is still suspended in coolant). But that can't be done.

Peteski

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Peteski, what do you use, the Bar's Leaks or the GM coolant supplement?

About a year ago, when I change my rad, I removed the end tanks and saw alot less mess than in those pics. The residue left behind by the GM supplement is a tan like color and not gritty looking as in those pics.

Those are excellent pics by the way, like Pete said.

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
Eldyfig said:
Peteski, what do you use, the Bar's Leaks or the GM coolant supplement?

About a year ago, when I change my rad, I removed the end tanks and saw alot less mess than in those pics. The residue left behind by the GM supplement is a tan like color and not gritty looking as in those pics.

Those are excellent pics by the way, like Pete said.
1) Bar's Leaks and GM Coolant Supplement is the same stuff in different packages.

2) The Aluminum part of the Radiator in those pictures looked like NEW! Amazing... I guess that long life coolant stuff isn't all that bad!

3) Lucky for you you tracked down the problem... Cracks like these can be very hard to detect and can leak VERY slowly only under high pressure... Take a problem like this to a "not so good dealer/mechanic" and you would be posting another head gasket/timesert job. I wonder how many Timesert Jobs are done as a result of a cracked radiator end cap.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade Premium
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, about a month earier, I replaced the heater core. The plastic tubes that connect to the heater hoses by the firewall snapped off. I did not think to rip apart the heater core at the time. But if the rad looks like that I'm sure some of it ended up in the heater core too.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
1) Bar's Leaks and GM Coolant Supplement is the same stuff in different packages.
That is fine and I can agree that the Bars Leaks Cooling System Supplement is the same as the GM coolant supplement.

However, the GM supplement does not leave a residue like that seen in those pics. Not gritty at all. This leads me to believe that some other type of Bars Leaks product may have been used.

·
Registered
85 Eldo Biarritz
808 Posts
I've used them both (in tablet form) . "Rob" confirmed that both are made from the same stuff.

Mind you, I've never witnessed the sludge myself. I was only suspecting it. Pictures in this thread seem to confirm my suspicions.

I don't think that a single application will do this, it is the repeated additions which will accumulate.

Peteski

1 - 18 of 18 Posts