Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
DTS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This comes under the heading of wishful thinking hoping the day will come that the curb and parking block designers and the car designers will discuss maximum curb parking block height and car designers minimum front bumper clearance. My new CT6 is pretty close to the same clearance as my 91 Corvette. Generally all curbs and Parking blocks are higher than the CT6 bumper. I guess the bumper painters lobby may be more powerful than I thought.

Yes I did scrap the underside of the bumper.

Love the car, hate the curbs!!

My '50 F1 pickup not a problem.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Prem Lux AWD Phantom Gray/Ebony traded 2017 CT6 Prem Lux AWD Stellar Blk
912 Posts
This comes under the heading of wishful thinking hoping the day will come that the curb and parking block designers and the car designers will discuss maximum curb parking block height and car designers minimum front bumper clearance. My new CT6 is pretty close to the same clearance as my 91 Corvette. Generally all curbs and Parking blocks are higher than the CT6 bumper. I guess the bumper painters lobby may be more powerful than I thought.

Yes I did scrap the underside of the bumper.

Love the car, hate the curbs!!

My '50 F1 pickup not a problem.
This is the reason why I pay attention to the forward collision monitor and sometimes will activate the forward camera to make certain that I do not run over a parking block. The worse thing is when the bolts are protruding from them.
I agree the car is nice but I too would like to see a change in those parking blocks as most cars are now lower than what they use to be.

·
Registered
'19 CT6 Platinum 3.0TT
531 Posts
This is the reason why I pay attention to the forward collision monitor and sometimes will activate the forward camera to make certain that I do not run over a parking block. The worse thing is when the bolts are protruding from them.
I agree the car is nice but I too would like to see a change in those parking blocks as most cars are now lower than what they use to be.
I agree about the camera, to the point that I've put the camera icon on the quick access bar on the top of the screen. That way all I have to do to activate the camera is swipe the console touchpad, press it and the camera is on. Haven't hit a curb with the front bumper since.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Prem Lux AWD Phantom Gray/Ebony traded 2017 CT6 Prem Lux AWD Stellar Blk
912 Posts
I agree about the camera, to the point that I've put the camera icon on the quick access bar on the top of the screen. That way all I have to do to activate the camera is swipe the console touchpad, press it and the camera is on. Haven't hit a curb with the front bumper since.
I was not speaking of the Record Camera but the Forward Collision Camera. When you stop shift the car in reverse and you will get the rear camera than shift the car in drive and the front camera will come on. The Record Camera is another good idea that I will have to try.

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
I was not speaking of the Record Camera but the Forward Collision Camera. When you stop shift the car in reverse and you will get the rear camera than shift the car in drive and the front camera will come on. The Record Camera is another good idea that I will have to try.
kwickag is not talking about the record camera either....he is 100% correct, because i do the same and have the surround view parking camera as a quick access shortcut as well and for the same reason....he is doing the same thing as you(activating parking cameras) but without fondling the shifter....this reminds me of a crass old saying/advice regarding bathroom etiquette ...."if you shake it too much, your playing with it"
:stirpot:

·
Registered
'19 CT6 Platinum 3.0TT
531 Posts
That's correct I was speaking of the parking assist cameras not recording camera, you can also switch between the forward and rear cameras by touching the directional icons at the bottom of the screen when the camera is on.

Funny thing is I have an SD card plugged into the car but have yet to use the recorder, maybe some day.

·
Registered
912 Posts
kwickag is not talking about the record camera either....he is 100% correct, because i do the same and have the surround view parking camera as a quick access shortcut as well and for the same reason....he is doing the same thing as you(activating parking cameras) but without fondling the shifter....this reminds me of a crass old saying/advice regarding bathroom etiquette ...."if you shake it too much, your playing with it"
:stirpot:
I was confused as how he stated it. I just picked up on where he stated that he put the camera icon on the quick access screen and the only camera that you can put on the quick access screen is the record camera( Surround View Camera), not the end of the world:peace:

·
Registered
'19 CT6 Platinum 3.0TT
531 Posts
I was confused as how he stated it. I just picked up on where he stated that he put the camera icon on the quick access screen and the only camera that you can put on the quick access screen is the record camera( Surround View Camera), not the end of the world:peace:
Actually you can put the park assist/surround on quick access, not just the record.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Actually you can put the park assist/surround on quick access, not just the record.
I was not aware of that, how is that done? I see an icon for the Surround Vision Recorder Camera, page 280-281 in the owners manual but no icon for Surround Vision, page 263. I must have missed something in the manual as the only thing I see that is able to go on the Application Tray are the icons on the Home Page, per the instructions on page 6 in the Cue Infotainment Manual.

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
I was not aware of that, how is that done? I see an icon for the Surround Vision Recorder Camera, page 280-281 in the owners manual but no icon for Surround Vision, page 263. I must have missed something in the manual as the only thing I see that is able to go on the Application Tray are the icons on the Home Page, per the instructions on page 6 in the Cue Infotainment Manual.
  1. press home button to get to main screen
  2. swipe left and right on main screen to view all apps
  3. long press any app to engage a app position edit mode
  4. move app to any position, screen, or quick access tray position desired
  5. press home to set the position and exit edit mode

·
Registered
912 Posts
  1. press home button to get to main screen
  2. swipe left and right on main screen to view all apps
  3. long press any app to engage a app position edit mode
  4. move app to any position, screen, or quick access tray position desired
  5. press home to set the position and exit edit mode
Thank you, I have rolled the screen over before to see all apps but I guess I never paid attention to all the apps before as the Surround Vision Camera is definitely on the home page.

·
Registered
'19 CT6 Platinum 3.0TT
531 Posts
Thank you, I have rolled the screen over before to see all apps but I guess I never paid attention to all the apps before as the Surround Vision Camera is definitely on the home page.
Keep in mind you have to be going 5 MPH or slower to activate the camera.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Keep in mind you have to be going 5 MPH or slower to activate the camera.
Thank you I will definitely keep that in mind. I am just glad that I found out about the Surround Vision Camera app. This is what make this forum so great.:worship:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Well folks, with all this discussion a parking block almost got me but I got lucky as due to it's lower height I cleared it by a couple of inches.
I did not turn the camera on and was monitoring the forward collision display. The surround vision camera would have been the better option in this case. This just goes to show that you just can't be to careful:gg:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Ok folks, I just got finished washing the car and much to my surprise I had a scrape on the underside of my front bumper on the passenger side. I felt the scrape while washing the car. Fortunately it is not visible unless you are on your knees looking up under the car.

I always use my camera when parking near a parking block. I do not know when or where it happen but somehow one got passed me. I am just glad it is not a major scrape and it is not visible:eek:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have found when maneuvering into a spot or even when I pull into my driveway as I get close to any object the surround cameras automatically come on Ava the sensors light up telling me how close I am to something. So I typically use the camera to see how much further I can pull up safely. I don’t have to actually activate the surround vision it does it by itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have found when maneuvering into a spot or even when I pull into my driveway as I get close to any object the surround cameras automatically come on Ava the sensors light up telling me how close I am to something. So I typically use the camera to see how much further I can pull up safely. I don’t have to actually activate the surround vision it does it by itself.

I have an XTS now and the camera does not come on automatically.
I think the parking block was asphalt colored and blended with the asphalt pavement. Unfortunately I was to close to it when I notice it and could activate the camera.

If I had seen the parking block much earlier I would have activated the camera and probably avoided the problem.

Today a bird got me and I don’t know what that bird had for lunch but the dropping had etched the clear coat with in a few hours of me see it and removing it.

I think I was able to polish it out but will know better tomorrow under brighter sunlight😱

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have an XTS now and the camera does not come on automatically.
I think the parking block was asphalt colored and blended with the asphalt pavement. Unfortunately I was to close to it when I notice it and could activate the camera.

If I had seen the parking block much earlier I would have activated the camera and probably avoided the problem.

Today a bird got me and I don’t know what that bird had for lunch but the dropping had etched the clear coat with in a few hours of me see it and removing it.

I think I was able to polish it out but will know better tomorrow under brighter sunlight
Ya bird crap will start killing the clear coat almost immediately.

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,889 Posts
I use turtle wax ice twice a year and have never had bird crap etch my clearcoat. always wipes right off

1 - 20 of 32 Posts