Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Eldo TC, 1998 ETC, 1998 STS, 2014 CTS, 2016 CTS, 2017 CTS Premium AWD
387 Posts
I would do it in a second if it didn't require dismantling the car myself, installing components myself and very likely voiding the warranty in the process.

Since the functionality is already there, despite the fact that CUE in existing cars has clearly been abandoned by GM for any meaningful updates, I don't know why they don't just unlock it for us.

·
Registered
2014 CTS 2.0T AWD Premium (Phantom Grey/Morello Red)
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure how hard it is to swap out the HMI module. I sent them an email, they told me it's just below the glove compartment. But I don't feel like spending 350 dollars for those extra features.

·
Registered
SRX
697 Posts
On my SRX if there is a passenger the Nav can be reprogrammed while moving so that is not a new feature. If you have nav then there is no benefit from that. So that leaves the text messages and a couple of other small features. That's a lot of money to pay for text messages.

·
Registered
NONE
514 Posts
People buy this primarily for the Video in Motion aspect; the Texts are an added bonus. Also just an FYI the version of the Text messaging app that is currently in your units is basically useless this adds a different tweaked version not the "hidden" version that basically doesn't work 50% of the time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use text quite a bit, although I wouldn't pay this much for just this feature. I do think that this SMS App might be better than the stock one, because it let's you view your messages even when vehicle is in motion. OEM one will only read the message to you if you are driving. If anyone decides to get this done, please let us know how it is.

·
Registered
NONE
514 Posts
A ton of people have it done (IE hundreds), I know there was someone who did a write up on it for his escalade already.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you please share the write up with me? I want to know what the experience was like, from pricing to installation. Thanks.

·
Registered
1994 Eldo TC, 1998 ETC, 1998 STS, 2014 CTS, 2016 CTS, 2017 CTS Premium AWD
387 Posts
Warranty implications? Do the upgrades get wiped when/if a software update is applied by the dealership?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys that does the unlock told me the software won't get wiped when dealers do updates. They said the dealers won't even noticed the difference with the new HMI module. I'm also assuming that the SMS App is not "new", the unlock simply unlocks the feature that's already embedded in the system.

·
Registered
2013 SRX Premium w/ Navigation
161 Posts
If I understand this correctly, any SMS apps are installed on top of the CUE code. They're just supplemental apps that add things on top of the core code.

I'll draw an analogy to a Windows laptop with Quicken installed on it.

I get Windows updates and apply them all the time, but applying the Window's update doesn't uninstall Quicken. Nor does the Windows update even look to see whether Quicken (or anything else, for that matter) is installed.

The only (unlikely) concern would be whether there is anything in the SMS app that relies on core code in CUE that a CUE update modified in a way such that the SMS app's code would no longer work.

If we go back to my Windows/Quicken analogy, what I just described is possible. But if a Windows update stopped Quicken from working, Quicken would provide an update so that it would still work after the Windows update.

If the same thing happened for the CUE/SMS app scenario, whomever wrote the SMS app would need to update their code so that it works, again.

I "believe" the heart of CUE is Linux. Despite my paltry knowledge of Linux, I "believe" I know enough about it that its open source nature makes it very unlikely that any apps installed on top of it would fail to work after an update.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure if the SMS App is installed on top of the CUE system, or simply unlocked the feature that has been hidden in the CUE system. As other members have said, the SMS App exist in our CUE system today, just that it was not "unlocked" to make it available. Not sure what the reason is, but maybe has something to do with validation not complete at the time of roll out, so they kept the feature hidden till MY 15.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury (TOTALLED) / 2015 BMW 328i XDrive Lux
1,970 Posts
I'm not sure if the SMS App is installed on top of the CUE system, or simply unlocked the feature that has been hidden in the CUE system. As other members have said, the SMS App exist in our CUE system today, just that it was not "unlocked" to make it available. Not sure what the reason is, but maybe has something to do with validation not complete at the time of roll out, so they kept the feature hidden till MY 15.
I believe the unlock theory is correct...I have to assume (yes I know) the code is there, just not active. This is just word of mouth but my dealer stated it wasn't ready for primetime in 2012/13 so they didn't "activate" it. When I asked why they couldn't ever activate it, they said other things were involved such as a newer HMI module. I do know that I was lied to and have to fork out hundreds for the "fix" if I do want it. I truly wish someone could hack this system for FREE.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The impression I got was that the software is so different from MY 15 to MY 14 that even an app couldn't be "installed"... It really is disappointing, they were advertising CUE in the beginning as something that can be updated and stay current. Now that expectation is not living up. They wanted to create an infotainment system is that like no other... in the end, I think they just created a system just like other OEMs, no upgrades, no new features. Pretty much once you buy a car with a certain version of CUE in there, expect it to stay the same, and only "updates" are to fix glitches, not to add new features or apps.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury (TOTALLED) / 2015 BMW 328i XDrive Lux
1,970 Posts
Unfortunately, it's another empty promise from GM/Cadillac...

I didn't know that we'd have to send in the module...that adds to the cost since I'd have to rent a car for 3-4 days. I may have to ask them if they do a deposit on the HMI units.

·
Registered
SRX
697 Posts
Is there any institution that knows what the word integrity means? Our government has lost it and it looks like GM is heading for the "Trust me" method of salesmanship used by politicians. Is lying a way of life for them?

·
Registered
NONE
514 Posts
Can you please share the write up with me? I want to know what the experience was like, from pricing to installation. Thanks.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-esv-forum-2015/533921-2015-cadillac-escalade-infotainment-hmi-hack.html

There are lots of reviews out there this the main one I can remembered on there. This is the original first generation before the core swap program existed or anything.

Again the SMS app is in your cue however if it were unlocked it would be useless; it was considerably tweaked.

As far as warranty implications go the only way they will know is if you tell them, the unit reports 100% factory data when queried.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T RWD
76 Posts
I just had my ATS serviced for Bluetooth issues on my iPhone 6+. Long story short, the resolution was for me to visit the infotainment website and view compatible phones... My iPhone 6+ is more advanced than cue and I basically have to downgrade to an iPhone 5 as that is the most compatible iPhone wih cue. Completely unacceptable surely I keep a vehicle longer than a phone? I haven't completed my survey gm sent yet because I can't believe the absolute disregard of honoring upgrades to current clients. There are enough members on here that a movement has to be made for Cadillac to hold up their end of the agreement when we all purchased a vehicle with The Carillac User Experience.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you don't have to rent a car. What you can do is have them send you a new module. Then when you received your module, you swap it out with your old one and send the old one in.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts