Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a screen protector on their cue screen? If so, what did you use and how did it work?

I'm almost thinking I'd like to get something large enough to cover the entire top panel so as not to see the edges of the cover around the screen.

C

·
0 Posts
I use a Shield Pro Originally made for a Tablet that I bought at Five Below for $3.00. I cut it to fit the CUE screen to protect it from my fingernails scratching the screen.

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
the parts of cars most abused by fingernails are the door paint under the door handle

the interior door panel behind the door release lever

and radio controls

check out these areas on used cars anywhere you will find these scratched with regularity so protecting CUE is a great idea

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T Performance
88 Posts
the parts of cars most abused by fingernails are the door paint under the door handle
When I'm shopping, I can always tell the cars that were primarily driven by women because of the abundance of scratches under the door handle. Between fingernails and rings, that area really takes a beating; you'd think manufacturers would just use some more resilient (or at least easily replaceable) plastic or something there by now. Now, what else I can conclude by knowing it was owned by a woman...I won't venture into those waters.

·
Premium Member
14 ATS Premium 3.6L AWD
23 Posts
I got the ScreenPatronus on Amazon last year and it's still on the car. This is from my Amazon review and it still holds true:

Easy install and easy removal if need but but I'll be leaving it on my 14 ATS CUE. The face on the CUE is such that the screen
protector does not go edge to edge and the way things are curved I don't think it could. When you first put it on you notice
the edges of the protector but they quickly become ignored, at least for me. Ideally a screen protector should not be noticeable
at all so I dinged it one star for that although I maybe shouldn't hold the CUE design against the vendor. The improvement is in
removing the glare from super shiny stock surface, making the screen easier to see, and minimizing the finger printing that otherwise
was driving me a little nuts. This will still fingerprint but not nearly as much and not nearly as noticeably. There seems be no
degradation of the touch screen functions and since I'm not leaving so many fingerprints I'm more likely to touch it. If you're
driving a CUE equipped vehicle, and you're less than thrilled with the glare and fingerprinting, you can probably afford less than
$20 to see how you like this solution.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the ScreenPatronus on Amazon last year and it's still on the car. This is from my Amazon review and it still holds true:

Easy install and easy removal if need but but I'll be leaving it on my 14 ATS CUE. The face on the CUE is such that the screen
protector does not go edge to edge and the way things are curved I don't think it could. When you first put it on you notice
the edges of the protector but they quickly become ignored, at least for me. Ideally a screen protector should not be noticeable
at all so I dinged it one star for that although I maybe shouldn't hold the CUE design against the vendor. The improvement is in
removing the glare from super shiny stock surface, making the screen easier to see, and minimizing the finger printing that otherwise
was driving me a little nuts. This will still fingerprint but not nearly as much and not nearly as noticeably. There seems be no
degradation of the touch screen functions and since I'm not leaving so many fingerprints I'm more likely to touch it. If you're
driving a CUE equipped vehicle, and you're less than thrilled with the glare and fingerprinting, you can probably afford less than
$20 to see how you like this solution.
You don't happen to have a picture of it installed do you?

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes E450 Cabriolet, previous 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD, 1973 Corvette 454
2,363 Posts

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Lux, 2017 MB C300 Coupe
997 Posts
Proceed with caution with this specific screen protector, ScreenPatronus. Some who used it on camera equipment report a thick residue that's left behind if removed that's almost impossible to get off.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/207233-screenpatronus-beware/

Others are less satisfied with applying it to their phones.

http://www.factsfacts.com/misc/ScreenPatronus.htm

I'm sure experiences vary both good and bad, but be aware of possible removal problems.
I'll second Rusty's cautionary warning as I independently came up with the same negative reviews. Nonetheless, I do have some questions for the OP. Have you tried removing the screen, and if so was there any residue that was difficult to get off? Are these screens precut to size, or did you have to do the cutting? Lastly, how about a picture?

·
Registered
2014 ATS Luxury AWD 2.0T Red Obsession
207 Posts
I am all for taking care of stuff but I battle with the urge to be too protective, this is one of those cases IMHO where worrying too much about scratching the cue screen would have me feeling like I shouldn't have bought the car if I have to sweat that. good luck though

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought it used, has three scratches already. That's what is motivating me to look into this.

·
Registered
ATS Metallic Silver, 2.0L Turbo, Performance, Morello Red
286 Posts
Unfortunately you can't make up for others being careless. If you take care of the screen properly.......there is no need for a protector.

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
I see no reason to have a screen protector on cue. This is coming from someone who has one on their iphone, ipad, & macbook.

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
I see no reason to have a screen protector on cue. This is coming from someone who has one on their iphone, ipad, & macbook.
Let me rephrase. I would consider one if it will reduce fingerprints on the screen. The ones on my phone do help with that so if I see one available I would consider buying it. It leaves no residue when it's removed either. For protection purposes I could care less.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
Let me rephrase. I would consider one if it will reduce fingerprints on the screen. The ones on my phone do help with that so if I see one available I would consider buying it. It leaves no residue when it's removed either. For protection purposes I could care less.
Fingerprints are a problem on some screens (such as CUE). Its annoying that Cadillac skimped by not using a screen that was oleophobic. Add-on protectors typically come with an oleophobic surface. I don't have first hand experience but you can buy oleophobic coatings and apply them to the screen. That might be a good option for someone wanting to avoid an unsightly edge of a protector.

·
Registered
2014 CTS 3.6L Performance
3 Posts
I realize this is an old thread but considering the information provided appears to be incorrect regarding the lack of need for a protector for other members with touch screen ECU's, I figured I would provide an update. Fingerprints are not the only problem but also worn points. The CUE screen does wear down on high traffic touch points on our cadillac cts 2014 with 50k miles. We purchased used so we cannot verify a chemical cleaner was not the culprit however it seems unlikely as the worn points are finger size located directly on a few of the icons including the favorites #1 and #2 in the shortcut radio presets on the bottom left of the screen. Also noted were the slightly less noticeable worn points on the climate control and audio/radio icons along the top of the screen. A screen protector would have likely provided protection from this damage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts