Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am trying to troubleshoot an issue i'm having with my '13 Premium (36 miles). Sometimes the car won't start. The Cue isn't on, inside lights aren't on when the door is open, brake and steering wheel is stiff. After some amount of time (sometimes mins, some times hours) everything will start working again. The radio comes back at the lowest frequency (static), the outside temp sensor doesn't register a reading and it asks me to roll down the driver side window and then back up. When doing this, the auto up/down doesn't work. Again, over time everything returns to normal.

I've seen these types of things happen every now and again over the last 18 months. The dealership has suggested software updates to "fix it." That isn't a solution. Has anyone experienced any of these symptoms? Does anyone think it could all be related to something other than the Cue?

I love the vehicle, but I need it to reliably work. I have been stranded 3 times this week. Appointment with the dealer is scheduled for tomorrow....if it will start.

·
Registered
2019 AWD XT4 Sport in Horizon Red
838 Posts
Time to "encourage" them to do the right thing and replace the unit. Call GM Infotainment for help if the dealer is balking.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
I would suggest trying to video the problems so you can show the service department what is going on.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,653 Posts
If it is asking you to roll down the windows, the truck has lost all power from battery and wants to re-learn them in. When I replaced the battery on my 2010, it did the window thing.
#1 I would first start with the Battery, and check all battery connections.....
#2. Make sure you are turning the car off properly. Sometimes if you kit the PTS button more than once, you may put the truck into Diag. mode similar to when you turn the key to gen in older vehicles. This will keep the power on in the truck and you may not notice it. This is what happen to me two times...

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
If it is asking you to roll down the windows, the truck has lost all power from battery and wants to re-learn them in. When I replaced the battery on my 2010, it did the window thing.
#1 I would first start with the Battery, and check all battery connections.....
#2. Make sure you are turning the car off properly. Sometimes if you kit the PTS button more than once, you may put the truck into Diag. mode similar to when you turn the key to gen in older vehicles. This will keep the power on in the truck and you may not notice it. This is what happen to me two times...
Good thought about possibly bad battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Yesterday morning the car wouldn't start so I called roadside assistance. Jeff came out and replaced the battery as well as one of the terminal cables, which he noticed was warm to the touch. The old battery tested good, so the thought is the cable had built up some resistance and was draining the battery. At times it was causing an open, perhaps. The old cable looked to be in good shape. I should have measured the resistance of the cable alone.

We'll see if that is it over time, but no issues thus far. Car started up and everything is OK.

I didn't think the battery because the Cue would come back on its own. Usually if the battery is dead, it doesn't come back to life without a jump or a charge. The cable is still questionable in my mind, for the same reasons, but maybe I closed a door or shifted around enough to cause the cable to move. I sure hope this is all it was....it seems to make sense to cause the problems.

Kudos to Roadside Assistance and Jeff with Crest Cadillac. Very prompt and polite service. Jeff also confirmed the window up/down request happens when the battery is disconnected, so that is a telling sign when you see it.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts