Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The display has started acting funny for the last 30 days or so. The vehicle was taken to the service and was told the radio screen will be replaced. I asked the dealer if similar cases were brought in and the answer was yes.

Has anyone experienced the same? I'm just curious.

BTW, a loaner vehicle is '19 XTS 3.6. Very nice ride with powerful motor. Love it.

·
Registered
2013 ATS v6
553 Posts
The display has started acting funny for the last 30 days or so. The vehicle was taken to the service and was told the radio screen will be replaced. I asked the dealer if similar cases were brought in and the answer was yes.

Has anyone experienced the same? I'm just curious.

BTW, a loaner vehicle is '19 XTS 3.6. Very nice ride with powerful motor. Love it.
Yes it's common. When I was in to get mine done at about 35k mines, there were several other customers waiting to have the same thing done. Not just the ATS but other Cadillac models also.

·
Registered
2011SRX,2015ATS RWD base 2.0
519 Posts
GMs failure to address this issue beyond the warranty period is going to cost them a lot of former customers, one of the main reasons for the last 4 years of down trending sales and their ranking residual value just off the bottom of the charts.

·
Registered
Mercedes C300 Luxury - ATS retired (torque coverter shudder)
742 Posts
GMs failure to address this issue beyond the warranty period is going to cost them a lot of former customers, one of the main reasons for the last 4 years of down trending sales and their ranking residual value just off the bottom of the charts.
Indeed, and the CUE issue is just one example of death by a thousand horrendous customer interactions:

"Escalade Recall and Diminished Vehicle Value, read this if you're trading in

I was at the Cadillac dealer the other day. I had a maintenance issue I wanted fixed and was told to bring in my Escalade for the outstanding recall issue on the passenger side airbag. Shortly after arriving I was told there was no solution for the recall from GM. Service said GM was challenging the NHTSA proposing the recall was not necessary. As a result GM is not replacing the defective inflators that the manufacture (Takata) had reported to be defective. I thought this was a little crazy because this recall has been bouncing around since May of last year. Also, in August 2017 the deadline to the GM proposal to NHTSA was to have been ruled on. Bottom line, no resolution and GM is doing nothing on the recall at this time.

OK, meanwhile, my wife is wandering around the dealership and says lets trade in the Escalade on a new smaller vehicle. She said the 07 is 10 years old and has 69k, its super clean an we should do well on trade We looked at the new XT5 and went through the numbers. So while sitting there waiting for the final numbers I checked KBB trade value just to verify what I thought what my Esky would be worth on trade, it was what I thought. Anyway, in comes the sales manager and salesman with the numbers. That's when things really went south. The new XT5 price the dealer was giving me was ok but then I looked at what I was being given for the trade. What? only 5K under trade value for my Escalade, how could this be?

The new car manager told me that since my Escalade had an active recall it suffered from diminished vehicle value. He also said because the recall was outstanding against the vehicle that no GM dealer could sell it on the lot and as a result would have to be wholesaled at auction. I told him GM won't fix it. He said he knew and was sorry about it but there was nothing he could do. At that point I blew a fuse, GM won't fix a problem they created and can't give me what my vehicle is worth on a trade in. Needless to say we left, game over. Just for my own piece of mind I took the Escalade over to CarMax to see what they would buy it for. I was quoted 4500.00 more then the Cadillac dealer. WOW!

Well, no new Cadillac for me! This brings up the following questions, Why won't GM replace the inflators, a number of other car manufactures already have or compensated their owners. Second, if the passenger side airbag inflator is that dangerous why doesn't GM just disable it and place a placard indicating it. Or third, compensate their owner."

·
Registered
2015 ATS Coupe, Premium 3.6 AWD; 2005 Mercedes SLK roadster; 2003 Suburban
160 Posts
Indeed, and the CUE issue is just one example of death by a thousand horrendous customer interactions:

Just for my own piece of mind I took the Escalade over to CarMax to see what they would buy it for. I was quoted 4500.00 more then the Cadillac dealer. WOW!/I]

I've taken three cars to CarMax and have been amazed by the $ amounts they were offering each time.

·
Registered
2013 ATS v6
553 Posts
I've taken three cars to CarMax and have been amazed by the $ amounts they were offering each time.
I think it's always better to sell a car rather than trade it in. The dealer just plays with the numbers until they get your car for free, with cash you can make the deal and THEN mention you have a down payment.

·
Registered
2019 ATS Coupe
32 Posts
I have an '19 ATS Coupe which is just great. And I had no issues with CUE. It's easy to use.

But, about a week ago, they pushed out a software update. Since then, my XM radio does odd things. Sometimes it will say "tuner unavailable" or "favorites unavailable." Then, after five minutes or so it will work okay. Or sometimes some of the favorites are available, others not. I re-selected all of my favorites, but that hasn't made a difference; sometimes they work, sometimes not.

Also since that update, the voice recognition no longer recognizes most of the album or artist names that I ask to play from music that I have on USB. Some names it wll still recognize and it will say, "Okay, playing album whatever." Then, nothing happens. The music from the USB doesn't play. Voice recognition for other functions like navigation still works.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there a way to back out a CUE software update? Do I have to somehow reset the music catalog (I've already pulled the USB to try to get it to reindex, and also chose that option in the menu). I don't know what to try with XM.

·
Registered
2016 ATS Coupe Luxury Edition Velocity Red
188 Posts
I had my Cue controller replaced yesterday under warranty. Part # 84498604 (refurbished). Service writer just nodded when I described the problems I was having. Obviously I'm not alone. Huge difference after the repair. Everything works perfectly. Crisp response to selections, bright, focused display. I am happy.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,864 Posts
We can't just blame the platform that made reverse auctions in the auto supply chain practical because the void would have been filled because of auto manufacturer demand but I think a lot of these quality issues go back to the start of the Covisint platform which started primarily as a reverse auction facilitator. What had already been a cutthroat pricing environment became much worse as suppliers blindly compete against one another in a fast moving online reverse auction to supply components and assemblies to the major global automotive manufacturers at ever decreasing price points. Supplier survival in this environment requires aggressively and creatively reducing your cost structure and not surprisingly the result is quality issues that may show up immediately or a few years down the road. A typical strategy was to win a multiple year contract bid with the hope to engineer ways to further cut costs over the life of the contract so that by the end it would be profitable but this brought with it the necessity of somehow cutting costs over the contract to achieve profit even if the methods used are ultimately ill-advised. The supplier financial distress brought about by this system often creates further quality issues over the life of a contract beyond the initial cost cutting measures and can easily lead to the failure of suppliers both large and small (like the company that made the heated windshield washer system for GM vehicles that was removed from customer owned vehicles in a second recall).

My 2018 GMC Denali is now under recall for the plug assembly for the block heater which can cause fires. In order to sell vehicles already produced, dealers have to remove the power cord until GM and the supplier come up with a solution. A power cord with integrated connectors that can safely carry the 12 amps required for the block heater have only been successfully produced since the early 1960s but now with the additional advantage of modern materials and technology such a component no longer exists because cost cutting became king. As the oft quoted Pogo comic strip wisely observed decades ago, "We have met the enemy and he is us".

Of course far more major components are outsourced in the name of efficiency unlike when the GM "mother ship" produced steering gear, differential/axle assemblies, HVAC components, etc. through divisions that were fully part of GM. Remember the days when products out of the general bore marks like "body by Fisher" or "the GM mark of excellence"? Most manufacturers today are like consumers shopping at places like the dollar store, hoping for a good deal and then for some reason being surprised when the gem they bought turns out to be junk.

·
Registered
Mercedes C300 Luxury - ATS retired (torque coverter shudder)
742 Posts
"Most manufacturers today are like consumers shopping at places like the dollar store"

So true, and they all do it..

img_0666_289afa0b16328fea1a3bd55fae40beb3274a8595.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts