Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
I wouldn't expect any special paint job for the CTS-V for '04. I suspect
it will be the same silver and black on the base CTS. Maybe later
they offer a special paint job as an option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Chuck C said:
One look at my dad's 2003 Black STS and I cringe at the poor paint job. Are we gonna get the same half-assed GM paint job on the black or silver CTSv? Anyone own a black CTS and is it any good (paint)?
Yeah, the paint job on my black CTS is straight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Chuck C said:
One look at my dad's 2003 Black STS and I cringe at the poor paint job. Are we gonna get the same half-assed GM paint job on the black or silver CTSv? Anyone own a black CTS and is it any good (paint)?
I own a dark blue CTS that the paint is so lousy on that I finally got GM to wet sand the entire body. The dealer spent over 20 hours on it and now it only looks almost as good as a Chrysler! GM has lousy orange-peel paint! GM gave all kinds of excuses as to why the paint sucked, but I wouldn't give in. The worst thing now is the dealer put a dent in the roof while they were working on it and got dust INSIDE the headlites! They are going to have Dent Wizard remove the dent and they are going to replace the headlight bezels with ones from a demo. This is the worst quality car I've EVER owned! Electronics problems, all tires replaced 3 times in 10K miles and they still aren't right (they aren't round!), the list goes on and on. It's too bad -- we really like the car. We tried all of the other makes before we leased this car and we liked the CTS the best. Thank God we only leased it for two years! This will probably be the last GM vehicle we ever own. As far as owing a CTS-V, I'd wait for a new model from Dodge/Chrysler to come out before I ever consider the CTS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Hi,

On my 2004 CTS I have CASHMERE and so far the paint looks ok. This is about the same color as my leased 2001 Aurora and the paint looked great on that car.

I noticed something a few days ago. In the rear wheelwell (drivers side) I see some things hanging down from the top of the well. First I figured that it was paint, however when I examined it closer it appears to be the undercoat materal that is (sprayed?) into the well I guess to protect it against rocks and noise.

Has anyone else noticed this. I have this car 3 weeks and I am really disappointed that in the general workmanship of this Cadillac. After looking at some of my friends car that were priced at least 40% less I found that the workmenship was far superior to my 2004 CTS LSE.

Anyway everyone have a great week.

Irwin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
Ok get real!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry I had to speak on this issue. Someone here is exaggerating a lot ok. My CTS is my second Cadillac and my first was my 98 STS. I grew up with my grandmother buying nothing but Cadillac's. My friend has a STS and a Deville and the paint jobs are excellent on all mentioned. Cadillac has never had any issues with having bad paint jobs where do you people get this stuff from. My goodness would they issue a ten year warranty on a paint that some of you claim bubbles and peels! I mean you all could have kept those lies I am sorry! I don't mean to offend anyone but have you read about the quality process Cadillac uses to ensure a good paint job on their cars?

Anyway my STS had a black paint job and it still looked good when I traded it in on my CTS. It is silver and it looks beautiful......I just don't understand where you all are coming from with those left field comments. I equate them with someone saying the NorthStar is a weak and slow engine...just untrue and trollish!
 

·
Watching the Watchers
Joined
·
5,959 Posts
Re: Ok get real!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Chuck C is a mod here, so I hardly think he would be having "trollish" behavior. That being said, my Cadillac has pretty damn good paint, no peeling, bubbling, etc. However, compared to some other luxury cars (MB, Lexus, BMW) the paint does seem to lack a bit. Mostly because of the slight orange peel look
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,396 Posts
Good looking paint on the CTS-V? I'm sure a good claybar and Zaino treatment will make it 1000% better. (For about 10 minutes when black.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I am concerned that just like most mass produced cars, the new CTSv will have that 'orange peel' look. Orange-peel is the expression used for paint that didn't dry smooth. The next time you look at a dark domestic car, look harder: reflections in the paint reveal that it isn't smooth at all. It kinda looks like the surface of an orange or tangerine...wavy. So when I say terrible paint job, I mean a paint job that is done in a hurry. Most factory paint jobs are usually one coat and they dry too fast causing that orange-peel look. It's most visible on dark cars, but light cars suffer the same effect. Orange-peel on cars with metallic paint is less noticable. Basically, you'd have to spend some nice $ to get a proper pant job which consists of multiple coats and hand polishing. The auto body guy at my dealer (Bentley/Cadillac) said for $3,000, my car would have a flawless coat. I think powder-coating is a less costly solution to a custom paint job but don't quote me on that.

Zaino that puppy all you want, it cannot cure the orange-peel. Once you see the orange-peel effect, you'll never judge a paint job the same way again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Re: Ok get real!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rueben44 said:
I'm sorry I had to speak on this issue. Someone here is exaggerating a lot ok. My CTS is my second Cadillac and my first was my 98 STS. I grew up with my grandmother buying nothing but Cadillac's. My friend has a STS and a Deville and the paint jobs are excellent on all mentioned. Cadillac has never had any issues with having bad paint jobs where do you people get this stuff from. My goodness would they issue a ten year warranty on a paint that some of you claim bubbles and peels! I mean you all could have kept those lies I am sorry! I don't mean to offend anyone but have you read about the quality process Cadillac uses to ensure a good paint job on their cars?

Anyway my STS had a black paint job and it still looked good when I traded it in on my CTS. It is silver and it looks beautiful......I just don't understand where you all are coming from with those left field comments. I equate them with someone saying the NorthStar is a weak and slow engine...just untrue and trollish!
No exageration on how bad the paint and overall quality is on my dark blue CTS. The paint was bad enough that the district manager for Cadillac had it wet sanded. The orange peel was so bad you could see it from 40 feet away! I did not buy this car off the lot, it was ordered and arrived with this lousy paint. I'm no rookie car owner. I've owned 15 new cars and even more used ones. My father was a mechanic for over 60 years. My brother is a mechanic at a Caddilac dealer. My wife and her familly owned a Dodge dealership for over 40 years. I know a bad paint job and poor quality when I see it. After the wet sanding -- the finish is acceptable. Nothing more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Tigger said:
If you will double click on the small picture of my wheelwell that I sent on October 12th you will get a larger picture and you should see what I mean. This picture does not show all the detail. I tried to put a larger picture on but it was too large and it was not excepted so I cut the file down.

A number of my friends had seen who came over to see my CTS remarked on this poor quality control.

Have a great week everyone.

Irwin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
Well sorry for my angry post I have just never had any issue like this and that does not mean that none of you haven't. However I have had a lot of dealings with Cadillac's and never seen this type f issue once myself. Again that does not mean it is not true for you all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
IRWINVET said:
If you will double click on the small picture of my wheelwell that I sent on October 12th you will get a larger picture and you should see what I mean. This picture does not show all the detail. I tried to put a larger picture on but it was too large and it was not excepted so I cut the file down.

A number of my friends had seen who came over to see my CTS remarked on this poor quality control.

Have a great week everyone.

Irwin
Can you put an arrow to what you want us to see in the picture?

The CTS must be pretty good when we're talking about poor quality control and it has something to do with undercoating in a wheelwell. Did you point out the spot weld dimples in the flange to your friends also?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
If you will double click on the small picture of my wheelwell that I sent on October 12th you will get a larger picture and you should see what I mean. This picture does not show all the detail. I tried to put a larger picture on but it was too large and it was not excepted so I cut the file down.

A number of my friends had seen who came over to see my CTS remarked on this poor quality control.

Have a great week everyone.

Irwin
You wouldn't care about your paint job one bit if you owned a "V", Maggied it and then drove like a raped-ape!! :thumbsup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
806 Posts
I own a 2004 CTS V Black. Paint quality is 9.4783568 out of 10.0000000.
No orange peel, no blemishes, no runs, no discoloration, no inconsistencies, no overspray, no irregularities, no polishing burn-in, no speckling, no swirls, no problems.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
20 Replies
15 Participants
zozmanCTS-V
Top