Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts
That's a strange modification to one of several different 3.6L oil pans, but I imagine if removed you would probably see the lower end of the oil pickup near that area. The access is located beneath the axle pass through tube so perhaps that is a work around to provide a little more clearance from the bottom of the pan for the oil pickup as a result of the tube passing through the pan, or it's there to provide access to help finish manufacturing because of the unique design.

·
Registered
CTS 08
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply back. I really hope it is a service panel for the pick up cause I'm having issues with sludge .

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts
Thanks for the reply back. I really hope it is a service panel for the pick up cause I'm having issues with sludge .
In that case it is a very nice addition to have on an oil pan. From the one picture I was able to find of the pan with the baffle removed, which was terrible considering it was for a sale ad, the only visible appendage was the pass through tube. If you intend to remove it, be careful in doing so just in case GM attached the lower pickup tube retaining boss to that access point, makes no sense to do so but...

·
Registered
CTS 08
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I Think I seen the same pic . I also looked at a new pick up tube it only has two bolts holding it down the lower bolt is on top of the pick up screen case . I will find out tomorrow when I drop the plate .

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,376 Posts
Snap some clear pics of what's in there. Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
CTS 08
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. Here's whats under that plate turns out it is a service plate for the pickup screen as u can see mine was clogged up pretty bad causing low oil pressure . OIL PAN.jpeg

·
Registered
CTS 08
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is sludge . I had the oil pump and the timing chain done a couple of months ago cause of the lost of oil pressure my shop told me the engine had to be removed in order to drop the oil pan until i told him to remove that plate to see if he can get to the screen . And there was the problem all that time . My pressure is reading 80 psi when i take off and idle at 35psi

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,493 Posts
It is sludge . I had the oil pump and the timing chain done a couple of months ago cause of the lost of oil pressure my shop told me the engine had to be removed in order to drop the oil pan until i told him to remove that plate to see if he can get to the screen . And there was the problem all that time . My pressure is reading 80 psi when i take off and idle at 35psi
How many miles, oil type and oil change intervals caused all that sludge? TIA

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if that was an anticipated problem that prompted the design. The pass through tube no doubt results in more condensation inside the crankcase in cold weather that will predispose to sludge formation. With a modification like that I would be more inclined to try an engine flush every 50k miles.

·
Registered
CTS 08
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have 140,000 mile on my CTS all highway mile. I do 100 miles a day to and from work . I change my oil every 3 to 4000 miles. oil is synthetic. My shop said those 3.6 motors are known to sludge up often .

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts
I have 140,000 mile on my CTS all highway mile. I do 100 miles a day to and from work . I change my oil every 3 to 4000 miles. oil is synthetic. My shop said those 3.6 motors are known to sludge up often .
I can't agree with your shops opinion on sludge build up, my motor was pretty clean when I opened it to replace the timing chains at 175k miles. What brand of synthetic oil are you using for the record? If it's not Mobil 1, you might want to consider changing.

·
Registered
CTS 08
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well my shop use brand x meaning i have no idea what they use. But i know its not mobile 1 . Im going to start doing my own oil change with mobile 1 .

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,493 Posts
Thanks. Seeing all that sludge is kinda scary but I only have 70k miles, RWD and good oil pressure. I wonder if your shop was using synthetic blend? That's a lot of sludge for full synthetic oil changed so often. My car is new to me but oil was changed at the dealer every 5000 miles. I'm still on the fence about doing a flush at my next oil change.

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,240 Posts
I can't agree with your shops opinion on sludge build up, my motor was pretty clean when I opened it to replace the timing chains at 175k miles. What brand of synthetic oil are you using for the record? If it's not Mobil 1, you might want to consider changing.
why do you single out Mobil 1???...I use Mobil 1 because I like it (their marketing got me a long time ago) and I know it has been the recommended synthetic oil for many GM products over the years when they have had their marketing agreements (as they do currently) or does Mobil 1 do better in battling sludge???...

I'm curious as Mobil 1 has not always been the recommendation for oil in the 2nd Gen CTS...

Bill

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts
why do you single out Mobil 1???...I use Mobil 1 because I like it (their marketing got me a long time ago) and I know it has been the recommended synthetic oil for many GM products over the years when they have had their marketing agreements (as they do currently) or does Mobil 1 do better in battling sludge???...

I'm curious as Mobil 1 has not always been the recommendation for oil in the 2nd Gen CTS...

Bill
Mobil 1 is the recommendation for some of the cars, I believe it's on my cap. I use it because of what my motor looked like on the inside at 175k, and because I can get a good price on it in the grade that I want, 10W40. If I can find Penzoil Platinum and Castrol Edge synthetic in the same weight at a better price, I'll use it.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,804 Posts
Mobil 1 is the recommendation for some of the cars, I believe it's on my cap. I use it because of what my motor looked like on the inside at 175k, and because I can get a good price on it in the grade that I want, 10W40. If I can find Penzoil Platinum and Castrol Edge synthetic in the same weight at a better price, I'll use it.
I have worked for Truck manufactures for over 20 years. I know for a fact that the truck manufacture would get a big fat check from some supplier lets say a tire manufacture (like a million dollars or more) and the truck manufacture would recommend that make tire as the standard on the truck.
the same is true with car manufactures.

that is the reason for the recommendation $$$$

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,240 Posts
that's what marketing agreements are...but I still think Mobil 1 are good as are several others out there...

I do get a kick when one manufacturer claims their product far exceeds the competition and when you read some of the small print or view the actual test you see the company doing the test to show how superior their product is tests their full synthetic against other companies blends or dino only oils...still more marketing

Bill

1 - 20 of 23 Posts