Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Black 3.6L CTS
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what would be the best option in order to replace a windshield? I don't wanna pay dealer prices but also don't want to end up getting some cheap imitation replacement either. Is there any place that sells and/or replaces factory windshields?

Thanks

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Take the Chinese two-for-one deal. Guaranteed to be recalled within a few months.

Also comes with toothpaste, tires, and dog treats.

·
Registered
2014 ATS Performance 2013 SRX Premium
1,045 Posts
Most windshields are replaced at no cost with comprehensive part of your policy or very samll deductable check with your insurance company.

Florida Law:

If you have comprehensive coverage, windshield replacement is the only claim for which you are not charged a deductible. Florida law requires this waiver to encourage drivers to immediately replace damaged windshields.

·
Registered
03 CTS 5sp manual, 07 STS
194 Posts
safelite.com I used them to replace my windshield that was broken 3 days after I bought my car. They'll give you a choice between a GM factory windshield and an after market.

I paid $150 for an after market windshield. There is a small bit of distortion along the bottom edge but not enough to be a problem. Otherwise it's an exact match.

·
Registered
2006 Black 3.6L CTS
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most windshields are replaced at no cost with comprehensive part of your policy or very samll deductable check with your insurance company.

Florida Law:
Thanks, I will try this out first. I really want it replaced as it seems that the "wind/hiss" sound you hear while driving in normal conditions has gotten a lot louder. I don't know if it's just me but hope to find out.

p.s. - the reason I'm asking is I got my car back from the dealer after getting my 30k mile maintenence done and the 5" crack that I got about a year ago turned into a 15" crack "due to heat" as the head service guy put it. For one whole year in the blistering heat (I live in Houston), nothing happened and then one day at the dealership and it grew more than 10 inches?!?! I know they accidentally made it grow, but no way to prove it. Wish I could talk to the dealership owner and get a replacement. :mad:

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
I would almost "INSIST" on OEM glass; in particular glass that is used for the windshield. While to the uninformed consumer; all windshields may look-alike as all that you see with no pun intended, is "something that you look through".

In fact, this is one "replacement component" that your very life may one day depend upon.

Please consider the following facts when making your decision on OEM versus "aftermarket" windshields. Unlike an "aftermarket" front fender, a windshield is considered by Federal Law to be an automotive "safety component". With that said, OEM windshields are subject to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards Act. Unfortunately, an awful lot of "overseas" sourced windshields fall short in meeting these federally mandated safety standards.

Please consider the following information for your review:

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard for that part.
For windshields, the essence of these FMVSS are:

• No. 205: Governs the manufacturing process of automotive glass and sets benchmarks for windshield manufacturing and light transmittance.
• No. 208: Refers to passive-restraint systems used in the vehicle, such as power shoulder harnesses and air bags that don’t require occupant choice. The windshield, when serving as a backboard for passenger side air-bag deployment, is a part of the passive-restraint system.
• No. 212: This standard governs windshield retention—a windshield’s ability to remain attached to the vehicle in a collision.
• No. 216: Often called the rollover test, this standard governs the amount of allowable roof crush a vehicle can withstand. As such, the windshield is part of the roof support system.
• No. 219: This standard, often called the intrusion or projectile standard, governs the way glass must prevent penetration of the vehicle compartment, and includes windshields.

Many aftermarket windshields that are sourced from overseas, particularly China have very poor fit from poor quality molds. This is never ever seen by the consumer as the windshield is installed with a heavy black mastic and then covered by the windshield molding trim pieces.

Many of these same "overseas" sourced windshields will sometimes also lose their optical clarity over time due to atmospheric ambient temperature changes which causes the delamination of the safetly film that is sanwiched between the two glass sheets as a result of the poor original molding process.

The windshield is more than a simple piece of glass that you look through. It is a very important structural "safety device"
that works in concert with the vehicles supplemental safety retraint system.

If your submitting an insurance comprehensive claim, absolutely "insist" on OEM replacement glass from PPG.

For some great consumer information and video downloads that show a "proper installation versus improper" as well as the safety differences between OEM glass versus aftermarket; please reference this website:
www.autoglassservice.com

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Absolutely nothing to do with this post, but my son in Germany paid $600 for a windshield on a 96 Buick Century. I should have packed up 2 windshields and shipped them to him. Could have done that for less than $300. Win some; lose some.

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
Thank you Robert. Just thought that I might share some interesting data with the Forum members that they might want to consider and research when having to replace the factory installed windshield. Sadly, the vast majority of consumers are completely unaware of the fact that the windshield is much more than something you look through and is "supposed" to keep the rain out!

It is in fact a substantial part of the vehicles passive restraint system and an integral part of the passenger safety cage.

Sadly enough, even after much of this data was brought to the public forefront by an investigative report that aired on ABC'c 20/20 back in 2000; still today more than 70% of all windshield installations are done incorrectly putting vehicle operators and front seat passengers at substantial safety risk.

If most consumers had the opportunity to actually view and compare "side by side" an OEM replacement windshield versus an "aftermarket" windshield; it would be safe to say that even the uniformed novice motorist would be shocked at the difference in cut and sizing.

Here is but another link that I believe references some of the findings that aired back in 2000 on ABC's 20/20. http://www.safewindshield.info/

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
When you stop and think about it, the windshield is an intregal part of the cage structure. The hole car is designed to collapse in an engineered pattern. I would vote on the GM/Cadillac designed windshield.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6
281 Posts
yes, prior to my accident, which solved my windshield replacing issue, i was ready to get it replaced with the OEM one. My service mgr. strongly suggested to get the OEM or there was more likely to be some issues, he also knew that i wasn't going to him for the job so i figured i was getting an honest opinion...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts