Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,889 Posts
Remedy not yet available? WTF

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hopefully soon to follow. It doesn't make sense to issue a recall then not have a new part. Seems like a huge liability, especially when it's listed as a safety concern.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport Premium
80 Posts
It's likely because GM's contracted manufacturer needs to tool up to start manufacturing these again. Availability on these is spotty at best with stories of undriveable VSports being stranded in dealer yards for up to 8 months while they wait for a replacement differential.
I'm very happy to read this and checked my VIN immediately upon seeing this message. I'm covered!
I've been getting a clunk from the rear diff lately and hope it doesn't decide to let go while I'm on an overpass curving over the highway.

·
Registered
2016 CTS VSport
387 Posts
Curious, is the V-Sport diff a one-off special? Seems like this part would be shared (or at least shareable) across the platform in the name of simplicity...

Russ

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,889 Posts
I suspect it is unique to the VSport. May have someting to do with the greater torque

·
Registered
2014 CTS V-Sport
5 Posts
I am in the process of acquiring a 2014 V Sport and was curious on this recall so I emailed Cadillac Customer Care as to whether I should be driving this vehicle. This was their response:

"At this time, I do not recommend that you drive your vehicle due to it being a safety concern. Your safety is very important to us here at Cadillac Customer Care. Once parts are available, you will be notified and your local Cadillac dealership will replace the rear axle differential."

I had asked on when remedy would be available and it wasn't addressed. I am currently getting new wheels/tires on this vehicle and was planning on selling my 2010 CTS but maybe I need to wait or is this just a typical response being there is a possibility of failure? I have browsed this forum prior to this purchase and saw this was a potential problem but how widespread is it?

·
Registered
2014 CTS V-Sport
5 Posts
I followed up with Cadillac Care on timing and was told no eta exists on remedy.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
A couple of websites updated today are quoting GM as saying that owners will be notified (repeat notified) of the recall on March 9th. :(

EDIT: I meant to add that as far as how widespread the problem may be, I personally know of 3... there were 2 reported in this forum, and apparently a GM engineer who owns a VSport experienced a failure.

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,535 Posts
I didn't know any of this. Well a recall anyway. I'll put my VIN in and see if I am affected. Great because I just did a 170mph run the other day without a care in the world. I wont be doing that anytime soon.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,203 Posts
Article from GM Authority about the recall - Cadillac CTS V-Sport Recalled Over Rear Differential Issue.

Hopefully soon to follow. It doesn't make sense to issue a recall then not have a new part. Seems like a huge liability, especially when it's listed as a safety concern.
It's not all that uncommon from what I've seen with my own cars and from what I've seen on forums or the automotive press over the years. The Takata airbag recall is probably the best example - millions of vehicles recalled by various OEMs, and obviously it takes a while to produce enough replacements for that many cars.

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,535 Posts
I didn't know any of this. Well a recall anyway. I'll put my VIN in and see if I am affected. Great because I just did a 170mph run the other day without a care in the world. I wont be doing that anytime soon.
I put my VIN and I am affected by this as I'm sure most of you are.

·
Registered
2015 V-Sport
5 Posts
So I just got my recall notice in the mail, and it only mentions the "heater seat recall". I have known about this forever and for my own reasons am staying away from the dealership handling this, however, nothing about the differential recall. Has anyone received the formal diff recall?

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would wager your recall letter was a routine followup notice, given the fact you've chosen not to have it done yet. I'm pretty certain no one has received the diff recall yet, as the GM site still shows the following:

"Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE"

I believe the target date for letter-mailing was March 2nd, according to some 3rd party websites. When parts will actually materialize is probably still in the "unknown" category.

·
Registered
2015 V-Sport
5 Posts
Denrael, I had Valentine's Day hangover and should have kept up with the mail dates in this thread. This was my mistake. However, you, and other mods are so informative and appreciated. Thank you. P.S......Aren't these supposed to be corvette differentials? Hmmm

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I too, am a little curious about the fact that only the VSport version of this differential is affected. The 'Vettes got this diff a year or two ahead of the VSport, but they got better roll pins from the get-go? Makes no sense.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Based on the letter only referencing 2014-15 vehicles, is it safe to assume that 2016+ cars don’t have the rear differential issue at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 64 Posts