Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a good definitive comparo available out there of the CTS and Lincoln LS? A friend is considering the LS which I really like in 2003 and up models, but not in the V6 version, so im trying to convince them to go for a CTS. Is there a good shootout somewhere between these two?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Well Car and Driver had a Comparo with those two the S-Type, Audi, BMW and something else. The CTS came in Third and the LS last but that was the 03 in the comparison. I like Lincoln but it no competition for the CTS.

·
Registered
Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS
6,654 Posts
That review was also way back in '02 and they used a base 03 CTS as their test subject. It was in Road&Track and they compared them against 9 other sedans. The Lincoln came in dead last(number 11), but the CTS didn't fare much better, coming in at #8 (mostly because of it's polarizing looks).

Current statistics on the two put the CTS way ahead of the LS in performance:
CTS V6 VVT 255hp
0-60: 6.9
1/4 mile: [email protected]

Lincoln LS V6 232hp
0-60: 7.8
1/4 mile: 16.0 @88mph

Lincoln LS V8 286hp
0-60: 6.8

CTS-V LS6 400hp
0 - 60: 4.7 seconds
1/4 mile: 13.1 @ 109mph

·
Registered
363 Posts
I know the one you are speaking of...that was not it. This one was only like five cars and I remember the CTS coming in third.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gothicaleigh said:
That review was also way back in '02 and they used a base 03 CTS as their test subject. It was in Road&Track and they compared them against 9 other sedans. The Lincoln came in dead last(number 11), but the CTS didn't fare much better, coming in at #8 (mostly because of it's polarizing looks).

Current statistics on the two put the CTS way ahead of the LS in performance:
CTS V6 VVT 255hp
0-60: 6.9

Lincoln LS V6 232hp
0-60: 7.8
1/4 mile: 16.0 @88mph

Lincoln LS V8 286hp
0-60: 6.8

CTS-V LS6 400hp
0 - 60: 4.7 seconds
1/4 mile: 13.1 @ 109mph
Ya, thats probly also because of the really ugly wheels it had back then on the base model in relation to the looks factor. The upgraded wheels made a big difference, even though they were basically lifted from the basic STS design. Im glad to see they were freshened for 04 too.

Itd be nice if someone has the C&D report too.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
I've heard the LS has a lot of problems as well. I love the LS. It looks great on the inside and outside, handles great, and the V8 is really quick - faster than my ETC was (and THAT was quick!) - but it's got too many issues...

·
Registered
Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS
6,654 Posts
I really like the chrome accents on the LS exterior, but the inside is a bit 'blah'(for lack of a better description) to me...
Their V8 has potential and I was actually excited to see what their response to the CTS-V would be(they had been working with McLaren on it) but the project got axed.

·
Registered
543 Posts
gothicaleigh said:
I really like the chrome accents on the LS exterior, but the inside is a bit 'blah'(for lack of a better description) to me...
Their V8 has potential and I was actually excited to see what their response to the CTS-V would be(they had been working with McLaren on it) but the project got axed.
I looked at the LS and liked the interior but it was a bit too small for me. I am 6'3" and 210lbs so space is a big factor.

All Ford performance initiatives seem to be on hold for now
http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=04276850

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
188 Posts
Loved the LS when it came out. But now...compared to the CTS in style? The LS looks like it is 7 years old.

Still think the LS was a great idea, just its looking outdated. Like the old 7 series....looked great a couple years ago, but it needed a re-style, regardless if you like the new 7 or not, it was needed.

American auto companies waited too long to get into the luxury sports car market.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CTScop said:
Loved the LS when it came out. But now...compared to the CTS in style? The LS looks like it is 7 years old.

Still think the LS was a great idea, just its looking outdated. Like the old 7 series....looked great a couple years ago, but it needed a re-style, regardless if you like the new 7 or not, it was needed.

American auto companies waited too long to get into the luxury sports car market.
I dunno, I mean, I think that could go both ways. There are many people that I think would offer the reverse opinion in that they might think the CTS is a little too wild for them while the more conervative yet still technologically advanced LS might be just their cup of tea. While I dont disagree personally that the CTS is the better between these two, I do find it interesting that you brought up the old 7 series as looking old and aged. This is a sensitive one for me as I personally think BMW destroyed what the 7 was all about. The old one had a class and style that I thought was almost infinite in its appeal, and the proof of that was just how long it lasted. The new one is a perplexing mix of odd curves, strange angles (er...bangles), and overall it no longer compares in my eyes to the S-Class and the Jaguar XJ series, which I might add has carried its style torch for years and years. Thats my personal opinion, but I think that the last 7's are a great steal right now in the luxury car market, and can offer everything you need pretty much. The THX sound system in the LS however is almost without compare in my eyes. Certainly nothing ive heard in a Bimmer comes close, and the 425W system in the STS I had was decent, but still not there.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
188 Posts
Playdrv4me said:
The old one had a class and style that I thought was almost infinite in its appeal, and the proof of that was just how long it lasted.
I agree it was a VERY appealing vehicle, and I despiratly wanted one for a long time. I just felt there was a need for something new, something fresh. The semi-boxy look of BMW was well over ten years old and they must have agreed with me. Not that we or me or they are right, but we must have felt the same about the style.

As for the new "7", I would have agreed with you a couple months ago. But I have been seeing more "7s" lately and they are growing on me. I now prefer the style as new and fresh, more edgy, not so aged or mature a look. Almost like BMW headed off going down the road Cadillac went down long ago and became stodgy. Cadillac has fought like hell to get back from that no-mans-land of non descript, boring styling and has largely succeeded. I think BMW made a necessary change before becoming staid.

But as you wrote, these are our opinions. And I'm glad we had a chance to voice our feelings about BWM on a Cadillac site!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Some thoughts....

The CTS and the Lincoln LS have opposite styles.
The CTS is edgy. The car is shorter in length and higher in beltline.
The car is quite responsive.
The LS stretches out in wheelbase as compared to the old BMW 5 series or the CTS.
Interior nod goes to the LS as it was redone for the 03 year model.
The memory motorized tilt and telescopic wheel in the LS is tops and the memory adjustable pedals make the programmable user positioning a thing of beauty. Heated and cooled seats and all that...

With the LS the V6 is peppy and the handling is very good...A blast through some mountain curves will really show off this fine handler.
The 03 LS had many (they say 500) new parts, features and upgrades.
6 years before Cadillac used the Nurburgring for testing Lincoln was using it to develop the LS. The 3.9 V8 is a great engine...slightly heavier in the front but designed to make any red-blooded American smile.

My road racer buddies who have driven both in the twisties prefer the LS.
But in smaller confines the CTS is more responsive.

The CTS needs more of a refined look in the interior and I'm told thy are definitely working on it.

But Cadillac really stuck their necks out during a time of much criticism of GM styling. (Think Aztec here!!)
And this pre-Lutz design really alienated a lot of folks.....but it is growing on folks and selling like mad.

Just as Cadillac built a test mule CTS-V for Mr. Lutz to greenlight, Lincoln had also done a hi-po exercise the year before.
Ford also has a few engines available. The mod motors in the Ford GT, Cobra concept, SVT Mustang motors etc... The big difference is that BOB LUTZ made it happen with the -V where Bill Ford did not.

The GM folks put all the good stuff in the CTS-V.
I know some LS owners who swear that Cadillac took the Lincoln owners wish list, threw it and everything else into the -V!

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
funkcity said:
Some thoughts....

The CTS and the Lincoln LS have opposite styles.
The CTS is edgy. The car is shorter in length and higher in beltline.
The car is quite responsive.
The LS stretches out in wheelbase as compared to the old BMW 5 series or the CTS.
Interior nod goes to the LS as it was redone for the 03 year model.
The memory motorized tilt and telescopic wheel in the LS is tops and the memory adjustable pedals make the programmable user positioning a thing of beauty. Heated and cooled seats and all that...

With the LS the V6 is peppy and the handling is very good...A blast through some mountain curves will really show off this fine handler.
The 03 LS had many (they say 500) new parts, features and upgrades.
6 years before Cadillac used the Nurburgring for testing Lincoln was using it to develop the LS. The 3.9 V8 is a great engine...slightly heavier in the front but designed to make any red-blooded American smile.

My road racer buddies who have driven both in the twisties prefer the LS.
But in smaller confines the CTS is more responsive.

The CTS needs more of a refined look in the interior and I'm told thy are definitely working on it.

But Cadillac really stuck their necks out during a time of much criticism of GM styling. (Think Aztec here!!)
And this pre-Lutz design really alienated a lot of folks.....but it is growing on folks and selling like mad.

Just as Cadillac built a test mule CTS-V for Mr. Lutz to greenlight, Lincoln had also done a hi-po exercise the year before.
Ford also has a few engines available. The mod motors in the Ford GT, Cobra concept, SVT Mustang motors etc... The big difference is that BOB LUTZ made it happen with the -V where Bill Ford did not.

The GM folks put all the good stuff in the CTS-V.
I know some LS owners who swear that Cadillac took the Lincoln owners wish list, threw it and everything else into the -V!
I do agree that the LS interior is really a thing of beauty when coupled with the THX audio system and the right color scheme. The 3.9 (4.0 as Jag calls it?) is really smooth and buttery too, I like it alot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts