Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2006 Cadillac DTS as a loaner car and I am very certain that my V6 3.6L CTS is pushing a lot more power and a lot more torque than this DTS. I was expecting a lot more from this V8 NorthStar with 300hp.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
The DTS is much heavier so that may be why it feels slower. It also uses the older 4 speed transmission so the lower gears have a higher ratio than the CTS. I noticed that the DTS doesn't pull too well from the line but it pulls like a mofo between 80-100 due to the gearing.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Your loaner is probably a base DTS with the 275 HP version on the Northstar. The CTS V6 puts out about 255. The difference in weight and gearing in the transmission (CTS is a 5 speed,the DTS 4) may make the CTS feel lighter on its feet.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,018 Posts
I'm driving a 06 DTS today while I get a repair done. I'm getting teased at work for driving an "old man's car" and my son wanted me to drop him down the road a little from the school.
The DTS has nothing and I mean nothing on the CTS. No connection between the road and the driver-just the traditional floating caddie we all knew. I can see why some would be happy with the DTS so it's not all bad. But you can't compare the DTS and CTS-it's an entirely different driving experience that will make you really miss your CTS.

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
dqw1 said:
I'm driving a 06 DTS today while I get a repair done. I'm getting teased at work for driving an "old man's car" and my son wanted me to drop him down the road a little from the school.
The DTS has nothing and I mean nothing on the CTS. No connection between the road and the driver-just the traditional floating caddie we all knew. I can see why some would be happy with the DTS so it's not all bad. But you can't compare the DTS and CTS-it's an entirely different driving experience that will make you really miss your CTS.
The '06 DTS is a lot different than a pre-06 DTS. The pre-06 "DTS" designation actually meant something - 300HP and suspension upgrades. Now "DTS" describes the base Deville, which is indeed a mushy, floaty car by comparison. My parents have an '02 base Deville and there's a night-and-day difference between the way that car drives and the way my DTS drives. Naturally the CTS, given its size, is going to be a lot more nimble but a 'real' DTS has much firmer suspension and the CVRSS is standard. I've pushed it to its limits on back roads and highway ramps, at times causing the stability system to intervene. The CVRSS really works and allows the car handle very well given its size. The 300HP does come on late in the powerband, though, so it does feel a bit sluggish out of the hole. The base Deville is more torquey off the line but runs out of steam fairly quickly.

Even though the DTS wasn't my first choice in transportation (the story of how I came to own my DTS is long and boring) I've really enjoyed the benefits of having a big sedan with all the options the DTS provides. As far as people's impression of the car goes, it is generally old-fartish until they hear it. There's nothing like a Corsa exhaust to give the car a little 'tude. I get a lot of double-takes.

Jim

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Marine,

Comparing a DTS to your car is a little unfair ( :D ), although I'm sure comparing it to a regular CTS doesn't change the results any. I mean really, [email protected]!% Hot vs. Lawrence Welk. You're car is pushing over 300 HP, with lighter weight, sport shifting, better gearing and suspension.

·
Registered
03 CTS
1,353 Posts
What I want to know is how the dealership is acting over your car. U mentioned the DTS was a loaner so is your car getting serviced at the dealership? Are they giving u a hassle considering all the mods done to your car??

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
My guess is that the techs will be doing a lot of manditory 'test drives' in his car. It would be like being on a date with Pamela Anderson, and she passes out naked. Oh, the temptation. I hope they don't drive it like he does! LOL

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
Having owned a 72 Coupe D'ville and 76 sedan, there is something comfortable and reassuring driving the 06 DTS. Its a nice car, however its NOT the CTS and I wouldn't trade them.

My 05 CTS was a trade-in at 3200 miles. The salesman told me that the older people bought my car new, kept it for 6 months and traded it in for an 05 DTS. They didn't like the CTS ride, wanted a better ride. Probably took a huge hit, but they wanted a DTS. I'm glad they did cause I got a great buy on my CTS because of it!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
A little off topic, but StS is nice, Especially the V8 norhstar. Dts is deville, and its more for the baby boomers if you aske me. :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts