Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I installed a LS7 clutch into my 2005 cts-v and it's working great, but one problem... The car won't start unless I jump the solenoid cable to the fuse box. I had the battery unhooked for nearly 2 weeks.

I got the service anti-theft system message and did the relearn procedure for the keys. (10 minutes on 10 seconds off) x 3, but it won't start with the keys using the ignition. I noticed that my security light is not on though, but my traction control light is on when I drive it. Everything else on the car is working good i.e. fuel gauge, seat memory settings, the computer seems to still remember the gallons of fuel used, oil life, welcome messages for each set of keys, etc.....

I swapped the starter relay with the blower and swapped the fuse for the starter with another fuse.

I really don't want to take this to the dealer to get it fixed.

Could one of the connections to the transmission be causing the vehicle to not start and for the traction control to be lit up?

I have not checked the clutch switch, but for some reason that fact that the traction control light is on, I think that I have triggered the anti theft system. It is very odd thought that the security light was not on when I was trying reprogramming the keys. The light is supposed to be on and then turn off after 10 minutes of the ignition being on with the keys in it.

Any help would be appreciated. I've been driving my old Jeep wrangler around for 4 weeks now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for those PDFs Darkman. Your posts have been a tremendous help on other issues on my V.

The solenoid and starter are good. I had a new solenoid put on for $50 at a local starter motor shop in town and it works perfectly when I jump the positive to the solenoid.

I am starting to wonder if my clutch switch magically went bad from sitting unused for 2 weeks or from getting pumped 100 times to bleed the clutch system.

Do you think the traction control being turned off has anything to do with it? Could any of the electrical connections on the transmission be causing this? I can't recall what all the sensors/wires do.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would do a quick visual to make sure you didn't pinch a wire between the bellhousing and the block.

Not that I've personally ever done that....

·
Premium Member
8,360 Posts
Attach a scanner and see what codes are setting, a P0833 for example. I don't think any of the transmission wiring (skip shift, speed sensor) will prevent starting. The clutch switch works off the pedal. See attached.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,360 Posts
could the speed sensor cause the traction control to light up?
I don't think so. The Traction Control system relies on the 4 individual wheel speed sensors (and some other sensors such as the Yaw sensor). The transmission speed sensor feeds the Instrument Panel Cluster, which in turn calculates miles per hour for the speedometer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
traction control light turned off when I started the car to leave work.

The clutch pedal switch is working properly. I engaged cruise control and it turns off when I push the clutch in.

I'm going to start checking wiring up stream from the fuse box. Anything obvious that I should check?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just found out there are two positions on the cluthc switch. One for cruise control and one for starting the car. I'm ordering a new switch and replacing it as $25 piece of mind since it did act up twice last winter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's the clutch position sensor. WTF.....

Some how after sitting unused for 2 weeks and being pumped 100 times to bleed the clutch, it managed to fail.

The good thing is I can reach down to the clutch position sensor and squeeze it so it travels it's entire length and start the car with the key now.

I think it's normal range of travel has been worn down and does not make contact. Squeezing the switch by hand is a good way to test the functionality of this switch and could be done without removing the trim piece.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the new switch didn't fixed the issue. The only switch was still good. So I broke off the bottom of the old switch and shoved it underneath the newly installed switch and the car starts up great. I will have to take a closer look at what is going on under there and what is causing it not to travel the proper distance. I have tried without the floor mats in and it still didn't work.

·
Registered
73 Posts
So the new switch didn't fixed the issue. The only switch was still good. So I broke off the bottom of the old switch and shoved it underneath the newly installed switch and the car starts up great. I will have to take a closer look at what is going on under there and what is causing it not to travel the proper distance. I have tried without the floor mats in and it still didn't work.
I realize this is a dead thread, but I am having the exact same issue (no start) after an LS7 clutch install with corvette slave in my 2006 V. Initially thought it was a bad clutch position switch, but I am having the same problem after replacement. If a shim the bottom of the clutch pedal switch slightly the car will start, but this causes P0833. It seems that the inclusion of the shim is not allowing the switch to open. Any ideas on what could be causing the problem. Note that after the clutch install, I have markedly less clutch pedal travel (bottom of switch is touching when pedal is released). I don't recall, but I assume that the switch doesn't normally touch until the pedal is depressed. No idea how to fix this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
Doctechx