Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys - I've had my new V for a week now with 3-4 days of it being in snow or sleet or otherwise lousy conditions. I've got the RS-As and I wanted to chip in on the winter driving discussion.

I can't speak for the V with F1s but the V with RS-As is a perfectly capable winter car. I've been driving for about 20 years in the north and the V is by far not the worst car I've had in the snow. I've had at least three (that I can think of) front wheel drive cars that were not nearly as capable.

My last car was an A-6 Quattro which of course was very good, before that, I had a 530i with all seasons and I would compare the V to it for winter drivability. The only major difference I've noticed is that the V will let you get further sidways than my BMW (or perhaps other cars) would. We love that on dry pavement, makes the nannying much less intrusive, but in snow, the Cadillac's computer let's the car go a little further. But, the Caddy would reel me back in before I got anywhere near trouble. I experimented for about an hour trying to get it to slide sideways, spin around, slide through a curve with the breaks locked and to no avail.

The V with the RS-As is not going to stay with a 4x4 car or truck but I would not hesitate to drive it in bad weather or have it as a year around car in a northern climate.

Could you go snows in the winter and F1s in the summer? Sure, and the performance would be better. But, in my view, the V with the RS-As has been quite impressive so far in decent and slippery conditons.

Brad

·
Premium Member
1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe
806 Posts
The recent Road and Track magazine chose to run RS-As as the preferred performance tire on the CTS V. I had already ordered GS-D3s. Wish you had written this information last week. I guess I will be learning the capabilities of the D3 tires next week.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MCaesar said:
The RS-A is one of the lowest ranked performance tires you can buy. After 50,000 miles driving on them I can say that their only redeeming quality is long tread life.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HPAS

16th out of 22 performance all season tires
I hear that consistently and can only attribute my satisfaction to lack of comparative experience. If I were to take a V through it's paces on F1s and then again on RS-As I'm sure I'd know the difference. But to me, the V is such a step up in performance to what I was driving, I'm just not noticing the lack of performance in the RS-As.

My original post was to express my satisfaction with the RS-As and the V for winter driving ... with the talk of the V in the snow, I almost spent $1,000 on snows for it even though my V came with the RS-As. I'm glad now I didn't because I feel I can get through the winter with the RS-As without a problem. Once spring comes, I will drive them and if I'm not satisfied, I may put GSD-3s on or something like that and use the RS-As in the winter.

One other reference point I do have is that when I was waiting for my V to come, my sales guy let me take an '05 GTO for a spin to see what the LS-2 felt like and it was raining at the time. I was able to get the rear tires on the GTO to cut loose much easier than I am with my V. Not sure what kind of tires the GTO had on it but the wet grip on my V was a lot better.

I think my viewpoint is most valuable to people who want the V for a daily driver and are willing to make the performance compromises the RS-As present. I'm sure there are plenty of all season tires that are better performers but unless you have a very solid reference point, the V with RS-As is not going to disappoint the first time owner.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Stephen P. said:
The recent Road and Track magazine chose to run RS-As as the preferred performance tire on the CTS V. I had already ordered GS-D3s. Wish you had written this information last week. I guess I will be learning the capabilities of the D3 tires next week.
I think your paraphrasing may be a bit off.... if I recall the article, R&T had tire life issues with the stock F1s, so they are planning on trying the RS-A for that reason, NOT AS A PERFORMANCE PREFERENCE.

Also, satisfaction with an all-season tire will have a lot to do with how hard you want to push the car through corners.... if you really like to drive aggressively through corners, you will notice a big difference; drive a bit less aggressively, and maybe you won't care.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The only reasons anyone who has driven both tires would ever select RS-As over GS-D3s is snow capability and tread life. In every other category of performance it is not even close.

True, if you had never driven top performance tires the RS-As might feel pretty good. And the traction control system that Cadillac has designed is so good it can hide most tires' deficiencies. But after you drive on GS-D3s to go back to RS-As would be akin to going from cable to dial up.

·
Registered
305 Posts
So bsteven - who makes the RS-As? You're on the money for my driving habits - I like to slam it on back roads and a few road rage exhibitions, but generally baby the crap out of the car....so these tires have acceptable (if not cutting edge stellar) performance AND were not a hair raising experience in the snow? This perspective is based on experience?
Z

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just had Dunlop Wintersport M3's installed and they are excellent in the snow. Down side, of course, is the need to install and reinstall winter/summer tires. I chose the non runflats and they ride a hell of a lot better than the runflats; just have to roll the dice and hope for no flat. Then if I come up a loser just have to call roadside assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts