Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
none...yet.
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Still considering a CTS-V Wagon and I just wanted to ask some questions of the owners on this board. Also, I've been considering buying a used Audi S4 Avant (Wagon) that has only a fraction of the V's performance but has some pretty attractive all-weather characteristics.

I live in Houston so we do not get much winter weather. However, I travel to North Texas and some wintery climates from time to time. Given my situation, I don't think it would make sense for me to invest in winter wheels/tires as I probably only get into 4-5 winter situations per year. That being said, how is the CTS-V in icy or snowy conditions on the stock wheel/tire setup? As many of you may know, Texas doesn't get much snow, but we can get significant amounts of ice.

Also, I do not plan on towing a boat or anything in the V, but I have a 4 bike carrier that affixes to a trailer hitch. Has anyone installed a trailer hitch on the CTS-V? Does it look absolutely horrible? Alternatively, anyone have a roof rack on their V-Wagon?

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V, 2007 Z06
2,843 Posts
someone else asked about a trailer hitch, but nothing came out yet. Just someone suggest a hide a hitch.

Also everyone swears the stock tires are CRAP below 50 degrees. I know that when we did have that cold snap here I was out driving mine the whole time. Several days on my way to work it was 25 and after the car was warmed up I would jump on it to see how bad it really was. Yeah she will break the tires loose, but it was very easy to have some really hard acceleration and keep traction on the road. Guess it just depends on how you drive it. Personally I think I would just buy some of those razer wire chains or what not and keep them in your car for when you do hit it. My friend had them for his cobra and they worked very well.

·
Registered
none...yet.
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
someone else asked about a trailer hitch, but nothing came out yet. Just someone suggest a hide a hitch.

Also everyone swears the stock tires are CRAP below 50 degrees. I know that when we did have that cold snap here I was out driving mine the whole time. Several days on my way to work it was 25 and after the car was warmed up I would jump on it to see how bad it really was. Yeah she will break the tires loose, but it was very easy to have some really hard acceleration and keep traction on the road. Guess it just depends on how you drive it. Personally I think I would just buy some of those razer wire chains or what not and keep them in your car for when you do hit it. My friend had them for his cobra and they worked very well.
Thanks Domsz06!

We still have to meet up some time when things calm down. Maybe the March CnC?

That cold snap was brutal here. I believe the best strategy was just to stay off the roads if possible. Houston drivers are pretty miserable in winter weather.

Hope you're well.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V
539 Posts
That being said, how is the CTS-V in icy or snowy conditions on the stock wheel/tire setup? As many of you may know, Texas doesn't get much snow, but we can get significant amounts of ice.
Completely and utterly UNDRIVEABLE on snow or in slippery conditions. I don't mean like a little slippery, you should go slow. I mean NO traction. AT ALL. As in complete deathtrap. If you see snowflakes falling, you have about 5 minutes to find a place to park your V until the storm is over.

My driveway had 1/16 inch of snow this morning and I barely was able to get the car to move in any direction. Or stop. Or turn. And this is at 1 MPH!!! I almost couldn't get out. If it snows while I'm at work, I'll be calling a taxi.

My old V was exactly the same way. See post: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...-v-general/27793-took-v-out-about-1-snow.html The V2 is actually worse.

Now, with snow tires, it's fine. Even great. But the stock tires are death.

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts
I bought a hide-a-hitch, but didn't get it on yet. While holding it up in there, it won't look bad one bit since it sits above the mufflers. I just need a second person to help me hold it up and drill the 4 holes. I also got a half-ton trailer for $150, and can't wait to assemble it. A plug-in harness was $45 too. So I'll have a decent sized trailer, hitch, and wiring for under $400 invested.

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V, 2007 Z06
2,843 Posts
Thanks Domsz06!

We still have to meet up some time when things calm down. Maybe the March CnC?

That cold snap was brutal here. I believe the best strategy was just to stay off the roads if possible. Houston drivers are pretty miserable in winter weather.

Hope you're well.
If they have a march cnc sure.

Yeah that ice day I just stayed in bed and watched all the news broadcast the idiot drivers. It was so funny!! Work told us to work from home that day it rocked!!! ;)

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V, 2007 Z06
2,843 Posts
Completely and utterly UNDRIVEABLE on snow or in slippery conditions. I don't mean like a little slippery, you should go slow. I mean NO traction. AT ALL. As in complete deathtrap. If you see snowflakes falling, you have about 5 minutes to find a place to park your V until the storm is over.

My driveway had 1/16 inch of snow this morning and I barely was able to get the car to move in any direction. Or stop. Or turn. And this is at 1 MPH!!! I almost couldn't get out. If it snows while I'm at work, I'll be calling a taxi.

My old V was exactly the same way. See post: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...-v-general/27793-took-v-out-about-1-snow.html The V2 is actually worse.

Now, with snow tires, it's fine. Even great. But the stock tires are death.
Wow they are really that bad? Makes me want to go find some snow lol and just play and learn the boundries.

·
Registered
05 sedan , 11 Wagon
265 Posts
On my O5 V I have a set of wheels.. TPMS's and V rated Dunlop winter/ snow tires here in St Louis... If you have never driven a car in the snow with a set of really good snow tires.. you do not know what you are missing.it is literally the next best thing to AWD.... It's incredible..

As soon as my V wagon is delivered.. I will be buying a winter tire set up for it in the fall.

I would also like to know the towing capacity.. I think pulling the Elise to the track with the wagon would be a hoot.. AND i could track the tow vehicle.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
Wow they are really that bad? Makes me want to go find some snow lol and just play and learn the boundries.
Yes, they are THAT bad. I have driven in temps as low as 30 degrees with the stock tires and done fine....in DRY weather. However, with the first snow flake or rain drop in under 40 degrees, I have to bum the Pilot off the wife. That's only happened once, just after I bought the car. It was at that time I ascertained the need for winter tires. If you are driving occasionally in wintry conditions, it's not worth investing in an extra set of wheels/winter tires. The snow chains are probably a good idea in that circumstance. If you are driving in cold/snowy weather more than occasionally, then the investment is mandatory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts