Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
NONE - yet, anyway
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few times on here that some traded in a Corvette Z06 for a 2009 Cadillac CTS-V. :hmm: Except for both being over 500 HP (assuming C6 Vette), they're two totally differently cars. What, if anything, would make you want to go back to a Vette?

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V Clack 6psd (manual), Recaro, Loaded...
381 Posts
I've read a few times on here that some traded in a Corvette Z06 for a 2009 Cadillac CTS-V. :hmm: Except for both being over 500 HP (assuming C6 Vette), they're two totally differently cars. What, if anything, would make you want to go back to a Vette?
Weight....

Also, I'd offer that both of my C5 Z06s, although not seemingly as nimble had more "mechanical" grip (could be pushed farther in a corner) than my V.

This said, the V is a far more accessible and comfortable car than the Z as well as being a bit of a "Ninja" on the road. No one ever sees this car coming.

I love the Z06 and would have hard time steering anyone away from it, but am really happy that I bought the V.

Good luck... you will do well with either of these cars.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
^ like stated. The Cts-v is a total sleeper. Police, ricers, etc - very few people know what the vehicle is capable of. Not too mention that even the exhaust is quiet and keeps a low tone.

·
CadillacOwners First 09 CTS-V Owner
09 CTS-V, 08 Escalade
424 Posts
Yes, they certainly are two different cars.

Here's a write up I posted last month. There's good info throughout the thread.

CTS-V vs Z06 Review

Mike

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'll throw one more item into the ring.
Throttle response: The Z has this hands down. I'm thinking I need to get a tune and see how the V does then. Stock for stock, NA plus lower weight the Z pushes you back much quicker than the V, IMHO.

·
Registered
NONE - yet, anyway
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone's responses!

Yes, they certainly are two different cars.

Here's a write up I posted last month. There's good info throughout the thread.

CTS-V vs Z06 Review

Mike
Thanks for the write-up! It was just what I wanted. The only thing I sense but for which I don't have a solid feel is how "bad" the Z is as a daily driver. Quite a few refer to it as a weekend or "fun" car. It seems universally agreed that the V is an awesome daily driver but not so much for the Z. However, I assume the Z's daily drivability status really depends on the driver. Speaking of which...

I had a 2006 Z06. I really feel that this V is a 4 door version of a Z06.
It's a little more stable!
Why do you think the V is more stable?

·
Registered
'06 CTS
81 Posts
Just so happens I got to drive both of these just recently when I went in to buy my CTS. I knew the dealership owner real well so he let me have some fun with his other cars to warm me up.

The '09 CTS-V was much more powerful than I had expected, but it'll stay calm unless you push it. Also handled VERY well (much better than the z06). Gearbox didn't do the car justice. I would've absolutely loved to have this car as an everyday driver. Made it hard to settle on the '06 CTS, but I'm a poor college student. I only have 2 arms and 2 legs to give up. The '08 Z06 was more fun to drive, but overall I feel the CTS-V took acceleration, top speed, and definitely handling. Makes me proud to be a Cadillac owner, but a Corvette will always be a Corvette.

He also let me drive an SL65 on his import lot :)

·
Registered
Ordered CTS V - ordered 03/13 delivered 06/24!
405 Posts
I have an 08 Z06, and have an 09 CTS V on order. They are different cars, built for different
purposes. As for daily driving, many Z owners use them every day. They are well mannerd
and very effecient on fuel if drivin correctly. However, you can unleash the beast in them
in an instant! As for performance, no question the Z is better, but, it only seats 2,
attracts attention, and everybody wants to race you!

·
Registered
NONE
451 Posts
What, if anything, would make you want to go back to a Vette?
I just recently traded in my 07 Z06 for an 09 CTS-V. They are, as you point out, completely different beasts. No question. I'll offer up my observations, for what they're worth (right now, 520 miles on the V's odo, 16000 miles on the Z06's when I traded it in).

First off, I'll answer your question about what would make me get back into a Vette. Right now, the only thing I can think of is, should finances allow for it and I can find one, getting a 2005+ salvaged C6 Coupe with a working engine and a manual transmission. I'd turn it into a track toy by gutting the interior, tightening the suspension (maybe even coil-overs, but doubtful), adding a roll bar, racing seats, et al. Then take the motor and modify it past street legal, since it would never turn a tire on a public road.

That said, here are my thoughts on the two cars:

Z06 - Fast. Stupidly fast. Handles quite well from the factory with no aftermarket suspension tuning necessary. Light weight, easy to throw into corners and pull away from them (and other cars) with incredible ease. Excellent engine and exhaust acoustics right from the factory, with that Jekyll and Hyde sort of exhaust that cracks open at 3500RPMs.

I've been driving on the local race track for over 10 years in various Corvettes, and by far, the Z06 is the best of them all. The choice for factory brakes on the Z06 was a mistake, and GM knows it. So, my mods to the Z06 were simple:
- StopTech brakes
- Toyo RA-1 tires (ONLY when I was on the track)
- Sharkbar harness bar and Simpson harnesses

What doesn't the Z06 do well? Keep its driver comfortable, IMHO. The factory seats in the Z06 are trash. They were trash in the C5 version of the Z06, and they're trash in the C6 version. My suspicion is, if they do build a Z06 for C7, the seats in it will be trash as well. It seems to be a pattern the General follows. No support, very little in the way of adjustable controls, and no comfort. After a 3 hour ride in my factory seat, my back and ass were sore due to the lack of padding and support.

The Z06 achieves some of its weight reduction through the loss of noise abatement material. You may think, "Big deal!" but, after being in one on the road for an hour or two, you being to realize it can be a big deal. The worst part is the trunk/hatch area. Because it's right over top those steam-roller 325 tires, you're rewarded with this nice BOOOOOM that echos up through the trunk floor, bounces off the hatch glass, and gets pointed: directly at the passengers. That can get exhausting after a while.

The amenities and "toys" in the Corvette are just... missing. Or poorly done. Yes, the Nav system integrates beautifully with the HUD, and that's just sweetness. But, the Nav system itself is crap. GM found one manufacturer, Denso, that could integrate their Nav with a Delco stereo and the Bose amps, and put it all in the Corvette. Denso is a world-class loser when it comes to auto electronics. And it really shows with the Nav system. Poorly done, very few options in it, and just not up to the standards we expect from Nav systems today.

Mechanically, I feel the Z06 fails as a street car because of its well-tuned suspension. It's not a kidney-buster like the old C4 Z51/Z52 Corvettes were in the 80s. But, it does tend to get a little tiresome on rough roads, fighting with the steering wheel to keep the car straight, etc. Further, the LS7 is a wonderful mill. But, like it or not, it's running on its edge of reliability at 505HP in the Z06. People are dropping valves or having oiling problems with bone stock LS7s, or with LS7s that have some of the simplest modifications to them. To me, that means the LS7's time is limited, as much as I hate to say that (I LOVE big-cubed engines!)

I didn't hate the Z06, not in the least. I grinned every time I drove it, even if it did tire me out a little after a long drive. But, I don't regret the trade-in, and so far, I'm thoroughly enjoying what the V has to offer as a street car. When the opportunity presents itself, I'll take the V to the track (I've already stormed the Shenendoah mountains with it) and see how it does there. I honestly don't expect it to be able to do Summit Point like my Z06 could. But, I'm OK with that. :)

jas

·
Registered
'09 Sedan Black Raven M6; '14 Sedan Phantom Gray A6 Graphite
315 Posts
There is little else on this globe that would get you a membership into the 'luckiest man in the world' club than owning both a Z06 AND a '09 CTS-V,... well maybe owning both a brand new ZR1 and a '09 CTS-V (both Black Raven or the Chevy's equivalent). Hell I can't even get my brain to imagine choosing between the two. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
381 Posts
There is little else on this globe that would get you a membership into the 'luckiest man in the world' club than owning both a Z06 AND a '09 CTS-V,... well maybe owning both a brand new ZR1 and a '09 CTS-V (both Black Raven or the Chevy's equivalent). Hell I can't even get my brain to imagine choosing between the two. Good luck to you!
Well, if I were lucky enough to have that kind of "problem" I would have gotten an automatic V.

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
I just recently traded in my 07 Z06 for an 09 CTS-V. They are, as you point out, completely different beasts. No question. I'll offer up my observations, for what they're worth (right now, 520 miles on the V's odo, 16000 miles on the Z06's when I traded it in).

First off, I'll answer your question about what would make me get back into a Vette. Right now, the only thing I can think of is, should finances allow for it and I can find one, getting a 2005+ salvaged C6 Coupe with a working engine and a manual transmission. I'd turn it into a track toy by gutting the interior, tightening the suspension (maybe even coil-overs, but doubtful), adding a roll bar, racing seats, et al. Then take the motor and modify it past street legal, since it would never turn a tire on a public road.

That said, here are my thoughts on the two cars:

Z06 - Fast. Stupidly fast. Handles quite well from the factory with no aftermarket suspension tuning necessary. Light weight, easy to throw into corners and pull away from them (and other cars) with incredible ease. Excellent engine and exhaust acoustics right from the factory, with that Jekyll and Hyde sort of exhaust that cracks open at 3500RPMs.

I've been driving on the local race track for over 10 years in various Corvettes, and by far, the Z06 is the best of them all. The choice for factory brakes on the Z06 was a mistake, and GM knows it. So, my mods to the Z06 were simple:
- StopTech brakes
- Toyo RA-1 tires (ONLY when I was on the track)
- Sharkbar harness bar and Simpson harnesses

What doesn't the Z06 do well? Keep its driver comfortable, IMHO. The factory seats in the Z06 are trash. They were trash in the C5 version of the Z06, and they're trash in the C6 version. My suspicion is, if they do build a Z06 for C7, the seats in it will be trash as well. It seems to be a pattern the General follows. No support, very little in the way of adjustable controls, and no comfort. After a 3 hour ride in my factory seat, my back and ass were sore due to the lack of padding and support.

The Z06 achieves some of its weight reduction through the loss of noise abatement material. You may think, "Big deal!" but, after being in one on the road for an hour or two, you being to realize it can be a big deal. The worst part is the trunk/hatch area. Because it's right over top those steam-roller 325 tires, you're rewarded with this nice BOOOOOM that echos up through the trunk floor, bounces off the hatch glass, and gets pointed: directly at the passengers. That can get exhausting after a while.

The amenities and "toys" in the Corvette are just... missing. Or poorly done. Yes, the Nav system integrates beautifully with the HUD, and that's just sweetness. But, the Nav system itself is crap. GM found one manufacturer, Denso, that could integrate their Nav with a Delco stereo and the Bose amps, and put it all in the Corvette. Denso is a world-class loser when it comes to auto electronics. And it really shows with the Nav system. Poorly done, very few options in it, and just not up to the standards we expect from Nav systems today.

Mechanically, I feel the Z06 fails as a street car because of its well-tuned suspension. It's not a kidney-buster like the old C4 Z51/Z52 Corvettes were in the 80s. But, it does tend to get a little tiresome on rough roads, fighting with the steering wheel to keep the car straight, etc. Further, the LS7 is a wonderful mill. But, like it or not, it's running on its edge of reliability at 505HP in the Z06. People are dropping valves or having oiling problems with bone stock LS7s, or with LS7s that have some of the simplest modifications to them. To me, that means the LS7's time is limited, as much as I hate to say that (I LOVE big-cubed engines!)

I didn't hate the Z06, not in the least. I grinned every time I drove it, even if it did tire me out a little after a long drive. But, I don't regret the trade-in, and so far, I'm thoroughly enjoying what the V has to offer as a street car. When the opportunity presents itself, I'll take the V to the track (I've already stormed the Shenendoah mountains with it) and see how it does there. I honestly don't expect it to be able to do Summit Point like my Z06 could. But, I'm OK with that. :)

jas

great write up.....

F

·
Registered
CTS-V2 09
26 Posts
I was one who also got rid of the Z. The V2 is a great daily driver until punched! Can't imagine going back to a Z, basically a Z w/ a back seat....been waiting many years for the V to be made right.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
No one ever sees this car coming.
That's one of the best features about this car. It is SUCH a sleeper whether in motion (until you step on the gas and make everyone go 'bye-'bye) or in a parking space. I was with the local Honda S2000 group I hang with last night. They were already in the restaurant and they saw me pull into a parking space very close to them. They saw my car was a CTS but it took a couple of guys a few minutes that it was really a V, and I had to tell them to look for the badge.... :)

·
Registered
Started with '04 BR V, moved on to '09 Slvr V, now '13 CRT coupe
1,957 Posts
Well, if I were lucky enough to have that kind of "problem" I would have gotten an automatic V.
How about a ZR-1 and an auto tranny 09 V?? Both in gray.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/1810142-post1.html
Mike must have some real tough decisions each morning about what to drive.
But he can take out his frustrations in his track car.
Living the dream.... excelllent!

·
Registered
NONE
451 Posts
great write up.....
Thanks. Allow me to continue it. Now for the V.

Completely different animal than the Z06. In just about every way, other than the fact that they're both fast, fast cars.

Inside, the two are in no way related to one another, save for them both having similar automotive controls where you'd expect them (ie, steering wheel, gear shift, directional stalk, 3 pedals, etc). Both attempt to be comfortable GT, but the V succeeds in that attempt where the Z06 sort-of falls short (see my previous post).

The most important human-car interface is, in fact, the seat. My car has the optional Recaros (not even available on the Z06) and, I just can't imagine NOT having these between my ass and the car. Yes, they're worth the extra $3400. Yes, they're worth the wait. Yes, they're stiff and supportive and infinitely adjustable. Yes, they're just f'cking perfect. And, not only can I adjust them seven (actually fourteen) ways from Sunday, but I can heat AND cool them. Ventilated seats: big win!

The next important interface is the steering wheel. The Z06's isn't bad, per se. But it's clear the buttons for the stereo controls, et al, were added as an after thought. They aren't very well laid out, and can be a tad tricky to work while you're driving (oh shit, what button do I need to press?) Not a huge deal or deal-breaker. That said, the CTS steering wheel is clearly designed from the get-go to have controls on it. It's easy to see that. The buttons are easy to actuate and you know which ones do what function without having to stare or guess. A touch of detail that makes the car a nicer daily driver.

Electronics and toys. The V has an excellent built-in Nav system, unlike that of the Corvette. Neither one is easier to use than the other, but the one in the V is just more intuitive, if that makes sense. Controls are where you expect, it has access to far more data than the Corvette's nav system does, etc. That, and the combination of the built-in Bluetooth for the cell phone is just a huge win (My Corvette, a 2007, was built before the shoe-horned Bluetooth into that line).

Ride and handling are very different. The V is half a ton heavier than the Corvette, but the HPVO engineers did a superb job of hiding that mass. You know the car is heavy, but you can't really feel it too much. And that takes a lot of suspension work to accomplish. The MRC system is far more comfortable than anything the Z06 can offer, but, to be fair to the Z06, it wasn't intended for that kind of thing. Still, it makes for a very comfortable ride when I want it, and it helps the car handle fairly well when I push it.

Acoustics are also very different. The Caddy is, above all else, a luxury sedan. Having it sound like a raucous "boy racer" wasn't high on GM's priorities. In fact, having it NOT sound like that was what they were after. And they succeeded. The exhaust burble and supercharger howl are perfectly aurally tuned to combine into a song unlike any other vehicle I've heard. And, unlike the Z06, the V doesn't have that ever-present tire BOOOOOOM throughout the cabin.

Acceleration? Well, the V may feel faster off the line at first. Ultimately, the lighter Z06 will trounce it in any acceleration test, though. 3100lbs being propelled by 505HP is really hard to argue with. The faster feeling with the V is definitely due to the short gearing in the rear end.

And it's the gearing that provides one of my only dislikes with the vehicle: its abysmal gas mileage. I knew it was going to be bad going into it, and still did it anyway. I don't regret the move. I do think GM could have tuned the engine and gearing a bit better to eek out a few more MPG. I'd have happily sacrificed a few tenths off the quarter or a slightly slower 0-60 in order to have improved mileage. But, that's not going to happen.

That's pretty much my 2-part comparo between the two. I enjoyed my Z06 completely, and can see myself getting back into a Corvette for track terrorizing in the near future. But, the V is where it's at for me, right now.

jas

·
Registered
CTS-V2 09
26 Posts
It's awesome we even mention the Caddy in the same sentence with a standard Vette, let alone a Z06! GM got it right on the V2!

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
98 Posts
I traded a 07 Z06 C6 vette against the cts-v and my impressions are as follows : The vette is "stupid fast" and can be dangerous if the tires are not up to operating temperatures : I had the rear end break away badly on several occasions between 2nd and 3rd gears with little effort . The caddy is much heavier thus back end break away is much more controllable .
The Z06 throttle response is superior to the V's and because it is a much lighter car it just's gets up and goes . Handling on the vette is more nimble .
The vette's biggest problem is that it was designed as a track car , NOT a street car and that's where the big v is superior in terms of comfort and relaxation . The v produces a louder low end exhaust note on low rpm's where the vette is louder when tromping on it . Both cars are very different but are designed to enlighten us with the passion to want to drive .

CADYSHAK

·
Registered
NONE - yet, anyway
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the additional commentary. You guys are awesome!

I think jas covered my main concern: livability. However I'm unsure about my particular case: I drive a 2001 Firebird Firehawk with Bilstein shocks, and it's a rough ride. The only time I notice it, frankly, is when I take a passenger and realize I'm "beating them up." I'm comfortable with it as my daily driver with its own bad seats, so I'm thinking I could stand the Z06. But, I do truly hate the tire noise in my car and the description of the Z's tire noise is disturbing. It seems the Z is really meant for the track more than the street.

I was very worried about the V's gas consumption, but at current gas prices, I estimated the V would cost me under $40/month additional. I think it would just be more annoying that I'd have to go to the gas station more often than the actual cost of the gas. The V is just more "car" (more utility and luxury), and that alone should push most anyone to buy it, but I can't shake the feeling that my dream was always to get the Vette. Now, that I am in a good position to own a Vette, I'm doubting myself... Decisions, decisions...

I wonder what you guys are getting for trade-ins on your Z's. I saw a couple used 08 Z's go for low 50's with only 3-4k miles on the odometer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts