Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would you pick and why? I realize by asking this on this forum the answers will be weighted, but I am in a position to get either and wanted to see the opinion of experts.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
:histeric: I agree. I never like a fair fight. Please buy the 550i, especially if you're a good driver.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Although I can't speak to the 550 I will post a comparison between my BMW M5 and the CTS-V (2004) when my M5 arrives next week. There is obviously a performance difference between the BMW 550i and the BMW M5.

·
Registered
none
864 Posts
What kind of driver are you? Do you prefer an automatic and a more cushy ride or a stiffer performance feel?
What kind of rides have you owned before?
Also the fun factor, You won't be getting the 540 sideways leaving a gas station, or smoking the tires, or chirping gears, or.........

·
Registered
330 Posts
Don't underestimate the 550i.

This is not the 540. It is a powerful car with tons of refinement. It is not that much slower than the V. The one I drove had too much of the electronic controls though. I prefer the direct feel of the V.

·
Registered
2008 BMW M3
253 Posts
I'm really glad you started this thread -- I started a thread recently comparing the 2 vehicles. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59908&highlight=550i

I was really looking for someones review who has drivin' it (since there aren't many out there).

Since this is a new car, just released, and roughly the same price as a new V, I am really curious to see how these 2 cars compare in the real world.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a quick note. I have owned a MB C36 which was an awesome overall car although not the quickest in the world. I had a 2002 Z06, I have had a Porsche 944 Turbo with a racing suspension I put on it. I had a 1996 H1 Hummer which was great for off road as you could imagine and as of late not much. I love a stiff ride and don't care about bumps in the road as that is how a car is supposed to ride if it corners halfway worth a damn. I am a fair driver and at one time prior to marriage took a few SCCA courses but never raced. I want a manual transmission. It appears from the best I can tell the 550i is dead on to the numbers a CTS-V posts. The interior of the Bimmer is more refined naturally it should be for $20k more. It is interesting to read the replies. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess the other thing in my mind is that with the 2004-2005 CTS-V the LS2 engine has been a tried and true engine with aftermarket mods available and tested on both platforms the engine was created for. I don't see where there is any moving up on a Bimmer except possibly a Dinan chip and/or exhaust. The only other issue is when the car gets "sick" the CTS-V has intown disease. The Bimmer has 90min out of town disease. That is definitely a factor. I am probably thinking about this way too much.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
I've driven an SRT8, GTO, and V...and a brief bit of time in the new M5 while in Germany...but quite frankly, I'll still pick the V out of that group.

However, if I weren't interested in modifying my vehicle, the 550i would be a great choice (it would appear). Just don't know if I can handle the bimmer stereotype and, more importantly, I know I can't handle dealing with the local service department/dealership.

Merry Xmas everybody. Snow here today - the Dunlop M3's did great - and the snow man we built this morning is gone now fromthe rain...but that's a threadjack :D

WW

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V 2008 E63 2008 GL550
176 Posts
The 550 is gonna cost in the 60's so you might as well go for the M5. Don't be cheap.

·
Registered
2008 BMW M3
253 Posts
robcol said:
Just a quick note. I have owned a MB C36 which was an awesome overall car although not the quickest in the world. I had a 2002 Z06, I have had a Porsche 944 Turbo with a racing suspension I put on it. I had a 1996 H1 Hummer which was great for off road as you could imagine and as of late not much. I love a stiff ride and don't care about bumps in the road as that is how a car is supposed to ride if it corners halfway worth a damn. I am a fair driver and at one time prior to marriage took a few SCCA courses but never raced. I want a manual transmission. It appears from the best I can tell the 550i is dead on to the numbers a CTS-V posts. The interior of the Bimmer is more refined naturally it should be for $20k more. It is interesting to read the replies. Thanks.
The 550i is not 20k more. It is only margionally more. If you add all the options the V has, it WOULD prolly come out 10 to 15k more or so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just for the record, a tricked out 550i is about $69. The CTS-V by comparison with everything is $53, but can be had for less.

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
If cost to performance ratio is your main concern and you want an auto get one of the SRT-8's.

If the above is true except you want a stick get the V.

Money no object, quit playing around and get a new M5.

Getting the V got me the performance I wanted and also I can personally work on the car myself. Something I couldn't do with an E55 or M5. I like modifying my car myself as much as I can. I hate to admit, I actually enjoy changing the oil, trans and rear diff' fluid. Sad ain't it? :cookoo:

·
Registered
2008 BMW M3
253 Posts
Listen, I LOVE my new V! It is an amazing f*ing car; that said, there are alot of issues with the V. The only major one being the wheel-hop issue. This MUST be fixed for me to feel like this car is whole. The others are smaller, refinement issues. Little things that bother me, such as; the fact that my key is exaclty the same key that the guy with the cavelier. The parking brake, the dinging, size of the steering wheel and more LITTLE things that I can live with, but would rather not.

BMW, Merc, et al understand what me, as an enthusiast craves. It's the little things, such as a really cool key that costs $250. They also refine the inside to make sure that it suits me, they do everything to make sure the car coddles. They're artists. Doesn't it strike you all as odd that we have to buy aftermarket carpeting and are willing to spend $200+ to get it? These are some of the reasons why the BMW's costs so much more money. GM just doesn't get it.

Bimmer's are awsum cars and I LOVE the Bimmer badge and heratige. The 550i's looks both in AND out are beautiful. If it performs close to the V and for 5 to 10k more it is a car that I would surely consider. That is just my opinion.

This takes NOTHING away from my passion for the V. Just my honest opinion for someone who has owned 2 Bimmers and currently owns a Boxster S.

Also, when I get into my Porsche, the V does NOT compare to it. Just like when I get into my V, the Porsche DOES NOT compare to it either.

Not sure I i answered your question of which would I chose. In the end, I WILL have to drive the 550i as well as see the numbers before I could answer definitivly, but it sure seems to be a compelling package. :)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts