Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the deal with Helm Inc. About three weeks ago, I placed an order for the CTS service manuals and received an e-mail confirming the order. At that time the web site showed the books as "In stock." After 10 days of the status constantly showing "In the shipping dept," I called and was informed that during the brief period between charging my credit card and sending the order to the shipping dept. the books became out of stock. Since they had no idea when the books would be back in stock, I immediately requested and received a refund. Later that same day I received a call from Helm informing me that the books were out of stock. Do you think they would have called if I had not requested my order be cancelled? I think not. They were hoping that I would leave the order in place and not ask for my money back.

I signed up for the automatic e-mail informing me that the books were back in stock for two different e-mail addresses. I did this twice before and never received any notification. Yesterday the Helm web site showed the books as out of stock. Today they were back in stock and I immediately ordered a set. I received an e-mail confirming the order and my credit card shows a charge for the books. Again I have never received any notification at either e-mail address that the books were back in stock.

Now the entire Helm web site seems to be dead. I can't check that status of my order for the CTS manual. I could not even order any other manuals if I wanted. The site seems to be completely dead. My question is, has anyone else tried to access helminc.com and not had any success?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK. The Helm web site is up again. When I checked my order status it says "Submitted - In process." Now the question is, what does that mean?

·
Registered
NONE
451 Posts
Do you think they would have called if I had not requested my order be cancelled? I think not. They were hoping that I would leave the order in place and not ask for my money back.
I think you're making an ASSumption here. Quite likely, what really happened is that one department (the customer service dept) didn't tell the other department (sales) that you'd canceled your order. When the sales department realized you'd ordered something that was out of stock, they kindly called you to let you know.

OK. The Helm web site is up again. When I checked my order status it says "Submitted - In process." Now the question is, what does that mean?
First, I'd suggest calming down and perhaps switching to decaff. If that doesn't work, some shoe leather to chew on might help. Your complaints about Helm have been heard by us, multiple times.

They're not a bad company to do business with. I've bought multiple service manuals from them over the years and have never had a problem. Yes, when a new model comes out, they're slow to stock up on manuals. Give it some time and they'll be ready. Luke from Lindsay seemed to think by the end of June they'd have another round printed and ready to ship.

As to your specific question, you answered that in your first post:

Today they were back in stock and I immediately ordered a set.
They have your order and your CC number, and are processing it.

jas

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have heard these complaints many times, please provide evidence of where or when they have been previously aired. As far as calming down is concerned, that is an ASSumption on your part. I have ordered service manuals at lease six times from Helm with no problems (starting with a 1973 Caddilac Deville). Now I have seen one problem after another. I asked one specific question. I did not ask for a tutorial on how to behave. If you don't like what you are reading then quit reading it.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
Hey Luke I tried pm'ng you but you never got back. What is the price on the front grill. Upper & lower for the cts-v ?, side chrome vents, trunk lid chrome strip. Basically everything thats chrome on the vehicle that can be painted. I also want to get that manual from you - whats the best way to pay for everything ?

All of them
1,795 Posts
Hey Luke I tried pm'ng you but you never got back. What is the price on the front grill. Upper & lower for the cts-v ?, side chrome vents, trunk lid chrome strip. Basically everything thats chrome on the vehicle that can be painted. I also want to get that manual from you - whats the best way to pay for everything ?
your PM box is full. trunk mldg $104.99, fender vents $79.92, upr grille $450.
42, lwr grille $276.73. give me a call at 703-824-9670 to order

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Helm has finally shipped my service manuals. Also the "Check Order Status" page has finally been updated to show the shipper and tracking number although the update date is still showing 5/23/09, which is date I originally ordered the manuals. According to the tracking info the order is in Ohio now with delivery scheduled for Mon.

Yes, the books are back in stock, but I stand by my original assertion that Helm would have not called me if, after 10 days of nothing, I had not called them first. The time from when the books went "Out of stock" to a change back to "In stock" was approximately 24 days. As I indicated, this is not the first time I have ordered from Helm (beginning with a factory service manual for a 1973 Cadillac). Those who defend these peculiar practices can continue to be door mats for all mail order companies if they wish. I choose not to be one.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I received the CTS/CTS-V service manuals from Helm today. I see that there are now four books instead of three and the total number of pages seems to have increased by about 25%. I hope that I don't need to order from them again any time soon. Maybe by the time I need to order again, the economic situation will have improved, GM will no longer be in bankruptcy, and Helm will not sit on orders they can't fill.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
366 Posts
Hear Hear! (or is it Here Here!)

"Those who defend these peculiar practices can continue to be door mats for all mail order companies if they wish. I choose not to be one."

I just made an order from GM parts direct.com. although most items were in stock. They would not release the rest of the order until the one Back Ordered part was in. $124 in shipping and they could not ship the rest of my parts for my truck. pissed me off. Well i guess i did not have to wait so long only 2 weeks to ship. Should get them soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts