Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
Seville STS
108 Posts
Thats a pretty slick ride and I'm sure fun to drive. I only see one problem. If the CTS-V is going to be around $50,000 as the article says and the XLR which another link on this forum directed us to said that the XLR is going to be around $72,000 then what is Cadillac thinking.

Unless I'm missing something more here (which I could) do they expect you to pay another $20 - $25,000 to chop the top off that thing?

Otherwise the CTS-V should be the better deal unless they are going to jam the same engine in the XLR and chop the top, plus something else. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
Seville STS
108 Posts
Anddddddddd another thing... If the CTS-V is gonna 0-60 in less than 5 sec and have a top speed of over 155+ what are they gonna do with the Corvette?

There's no way they can let the Corvette get its a-- kicked by its Cadillac brethern.

·
Registered
2014 Standard SrX grey/black 2006 GTO
1,795 Posts
The CTSV weighs 500 more lbs than the Z06 and 400 more lbs than the LS1 Vette.
It won't be quicker than either one.

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im a little confused mnymaker. "Unless I'm missing something more here (which I could) do they expect you to pay another $20 - $25,000 to chop the top off that thing?"... Do you mean the XLR? They are all factory retractable hard-tops. As far as CTS-v being faster and costing less, that is fairly common in the market that Cadillac wants to play in. The MB E55 is 76k and goes 0-60 in 4.5, the SL500 is 86k and does it in 6.1. The XLR and CTS-v are not meant to be cross shopped. As for the vette the Z06 will definitely still be faster, and even the base vette might be, since we havent seen tests we dont know.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Pit a CTSv against a stock C5, and the C5 would probably still outrun the Caddy in more ways than one (i.e. better handling, grip, top speed, etc).

IMO, The CTSv is Cadillac's most power per dollar car whereas the XLR is Cadillac's most amenities per dollar car. If the XLR was meant to be race bred, there would be no need for the CTSv. Also, America lacks a midsize sport sedan that can keep up with the M3 and S4. The CTSv is it....the XLR isn't even in that category.

As for the Z06, sure magazines have compared the M3 to Corvettes, but that's if you look at a broad spectrum of similarly performing cars. Add two more doors to the Z06 or C5 and you'd have a better comparison...the CTSv essentially bridges this gap.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The one thing you're forgetting is (at least in the test I read) that the M3 actually BEAT the ZO6 in a few contests. So don't think that there's no way the CTSv could beat the C5. Just by looking at the numbers, I'd be rather sure a CTSv would ROMP on a C5.
The "sports car" and "sporty car" markets are going NUTS in case you haven't noticed. And bang-for-the-buck is a leading attribute. So GM better pony-up or they'll be left in the import's dust.
BTW, for all you Northstar lovers, notice Cadillac had to go to Chevrolet AGAIN for a REAL engine. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V estate
1,240 Posts
Where did the M3 beat the Z06 in a performance contest? I call BS.

CTSv will approach but not exceed C5's performance. More weight, less grip.

And if you think a $50,000 400hp GT sedan is overpriced, maybe you'd really rather have a Buick.

.Jinx

·
Registered
2014 Standard SrX grey/black 2006 GTO
1,795 Posts
More CTS info:

http://media.gm.com/

14" rotors!
3.73 rearend!

Car weighs 3800lbs, which is 700lbs more than Z06.

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
Katshot said:
The comparo was in Motor Trend I think. They did a 3-way between the Vette, the M3, and a 911. As I recall, the M3 did good enough that they gave it the overall win in the test.
I think they gave it extra points for having a rear seat. :D

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
Katshot said:
BTW, for all you Northstar lovers, notice Cadillac had to go to Chevrolet AGAIN for a REAL engine. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Being a new small block Chevy owner...err...I mean new Fleetwood owner, don't the rail covers from the LS6 fit the LT1 with minor mod's? If so, it looks like we have a new 'Cadillac' source for some cool dress-up parts.

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yep it says black and silver, probably more colors will roll out over time.

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im gonna have to see it in black, i really dont like the way it looks

1 - 20 of 88 Posts