Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just started looking for a CTS-V. All of the reading that I have done so far does not mention much change in the car for the three production years. Could I get some feedback about the differences, if any, from 04 to 06? I am particularly interested in mechanical problems that have been corrected, if any. Thanks

·
Registered
~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~
1,749 Posts
I can't comment on the mechanical changes. But, if money is of concern to you... The 2004 model year is the only "V" that does not have the $1,500 Gas Guzzler Tax added to it at the time of sale. I beleave this has something to do with it being released mid-year. If you buy a 2005 or 2006 you will have to pay the $1,500 gas guzzler tax...... This is the way it is in Massachusetts.

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V platinum/blk.
1,227 Posts
The differences between an '04 to '05 is that the XM/OnStar antennae are combined as one on the '05. Differences between an '04/'05 to an '06 is that the '06 received a different strut tower brace (reason unknown), and the wheel center caps were changed from silver to black. The '06 also received a rear diff. with a different part number. Whether or not it will hold up better than the previous unit is to soon to tell. All and all, the 3 years are virtually unchanged.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
10 Posts
One other thing to note is that the 04/05 have the ls6 engine, while the 06 has the ls2 engine and I believe this is the reason for the strut tower brace change.

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V platinum/blk.
1,227 Posts
BadCad said:
QUOTE]the 3 years are virtually unchanged
except for a moinor engine change maybe?[[/quote]

HAHAHA........SH*T!!!!!!!! How the hell did I forget to mention that!?!?!?!?! Yup that too!!!!! My bad, thanks BadCad and ak6ar! Wow.........(I am looking for an "embarassed" smiley, but I can't find one!).

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
'04 to '05 virtually identical. '05's have antennas combined, passenger side air bag disable message on rear view mirror and few gremlins corrected like oil temp.

'06 has the LS2, black center caps, steering wheel radio controls, modified STB and new and improved rear differential.

Good idea to check recalls and TSB's on the FAQ's too. Couple of issues unique to each car like airbags, suspension bolts, PCM missing VIN's, etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Isn't the 06 quicker 0-60?

Not by much however.

Supposedly when tested it consistently goes to 60 in less than 5 seconds where as the 04 & 05s have tested about 5 seconds or more. I've seen tests for the 04 & 05 that have ranged from 5 to 5.2 0-60 I've yet to see a test (other than from Cadillac) that resulted in a 4.7 as claimed.:suspect:

·
Registered
339 Posts
The '06 does not have a Gas Guzzler tax.

The '06 also has a different engine (LS6) from the 05 & 04. And, depending on who you ask, one engine is faster than the other, but the differences appear to be potato/potatoe.

The diff is improved on the '06 (in theory.) No one has really put a bunch of miles on them to see how well they will hold up in the long run.

Also, the '06 has black wheel caps and different radio controls on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V platinum/blk.
1,227 Posts
kjr39 said:
The '06 does not have a Gas Guzzler tax.

The '06 also has a different engine (LS6) from the 05 & 04. And, depending on who you ask, one engine is faster than the other, but the differences appear to be potato/potatoe.

The diff is improved on the '06 (in theory.) No one has really put a bunch of miles on them to see how well they will hold up in the long run.

Also, the '06 has black wheel caps and different radio controls on the steering wheel.
In case no one caught all of that in the first 8 posts..................

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
281 Posts
new for 2006

*2 free nav updates one each year after ownership
*steering wheel controls for the radio (cruise control back on the stalk)
*transmission and shifting improvements
*transmission temp on dic
*new color infrared which replace redline (looks awesome reminds of magnetic red on vettes)
*LS2 engine replacing the LS6

as mentioned before no gas guzzler

and may i remind infrared could be the fastest color, why because i just picked up mine yesterday...

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
The new strut tower brace on the '06 V is exactly the same as the one offered on the '06 CTS Sport. I'm pretty sure they designed it very tall, to clear the dual overhead cam V6, which is more than adequate height for the LS2, and therefore stock a single part for all CTS's. I don't know if the LS2 is any taller or wider than the LS6 (doubtful), so the old one would likely fit perfectly (and somewhat lower).

If anyone who has an '06 and wants to swap their tall strut tower brace for the lower one for the LS6 let me know. I bought one last year only to find out it won't clear the V6. I also ordered the new taller one, but they're backordered, presumably to meet new car production.

·
Registered
339 Posts
BowenCT said:
In case no one caught all of that in the first 8 posts..................

Yeah, yeah, yeah......bite me. :p

/I really shouldn't use a computer before drinking coffee...
//didn't read the first 8 posts.

·
Registered
Started with '04 BR V, moved on to '09 Slvr V, now '13 CRT coupe
1,957 Posts
V400HP said:
Isn't the '06 quicker 0-60?
:poke:

Amazing! I've read about 14 posts so far on this thread after spraying flame retardant around my monitor. Must be too early on a Sat. morn. for anyone to take the bait. :histeric:

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
FYI: I posted the reason for the new strut tower brace in another thread....

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58515&page=2

Few other points:
The 06 claims to have transmission improvements, but that COULD just be "marketing" as it is the same tranny (from everything I can see)
05 (mid year) and later have XM-nav traffic- If you are looking at a 05, you should confirm

I will sum all of this up in a pretty chart for the FAQ today...

Reed

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
How about this:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/my-chart.html

Lets build this list.... any additions (I am trying to figure out how to put the transmission "differences" on this chart when I think they might be marketing BS)

Did I miss anything?

Reed

·
Registered
49 Posts
found this online and thought it was interesting re: the gas guzzler tax. :)

What is the Gas Guzzler Tax?
The Energy Tax Act of 1978 established a Gas Guzzler Tax on the sale of new model year vehicles whose fuel economy fails to meet certain statutory levels. The gas guzzler tax applies only to cars (not trucks) and is collected by the IRS.

The fuel economy figures used to determine the Gas Guzzler Tax are different from the fuel economy values provided on this web site and in the Fuel Economy Guide. The tax does not depend on your actual on-the-road mpg, which may be more or less than the EPA published value. The purpose of the Gas Guzzler Tax is to discourage the production and purchase of fuel inefficient vehicles. The amount of any applicable Gas Guzzler Tax paid by the manufacturer will be disclosed on the automobile's fuel economy label (the window sticker on new cars).

GAS GUZZLER TAX
Unadjusted MPG (combined)*
Tax
at least 22.5
No tax​
at least 21.5, but less than 22.5
$1000​
at least 20.5, but less than 21.5
$1300​
at least 19.5, but less than 20.5
$1700​
at least 18.5, but less than 19.5
$2100​
at least 17.5, but less than 18.5
$2600​
at least 16.5, but less than 17.5
$3000​
at least 15.5, but less than 16.5
$3700​
at least 14.5, but less than 15.5
$4500​
at least 13.5, but less than 14.5
$5400​
at least 12.5, but less than 13.5
$6400​
less than 12.5
$7700​

* The combined fuel economy MPG value (55% city, 45% highway) is used to determine tax liability. The MPG value is also adjusted slightly to account for differences in test procedures made since the base year, but it is not adjusted for in-use short fall. The unadjusted combined MPG of a vehicle can be approximated from the city and highway values provided in the Fuel Economy Guide and on this website by the following equation:

(1/(.495/City MPG + .351/Highway MPG)) + .15
Since this is an approximate calculation, the actual gas guzzler tax may be off by one tax bracket.​

1 - 20 of 27 Posts