Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1993 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 2004 Cadillac CTS-V
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a problem with my 04 CTS-V and was wondering if I can get some help. I was driving the other day, trying to get back home and I thought I would just try to get there faster.. So I dropped it in 3rd and stepped on it.. Well around 5200 RPM the car acted like it was redlining and the back end jerked to the left, almost causing me to wreck! Fortunately there was no one around and I was able to maneuver the car back into a straight line and pull over to the side of the road to catch my breath. I'm completely confused about what might be causing this, because it wasn't but a week ago I could redline 3rd gear without the rear end breaking loose and now I can't get over 5200 in 3rd. I had my dad drive it and he said the car in 3rd gear wasn't making any power over 4500 RPM and it acted like it was redlining at 5200 like I said above. If anyone could help it would be very appreciated! Sorry if I seem like a noob..

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: CTS-V issue

No, the only thing that will come on occasionally is a Service Stability System message and the ABS and T/C will turn off.. I believe that problem is a sensor causing it, but I forgot which one.

----------

The ABS and T/C lights will stay on until the car is turned off then back on.

· Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,377 Posts

Your description of the driving episode sounds like unwanted activation of the traction control system. That systems depends several sensors in order to work as intended. The sensors include a wheel speed sensor on each wheel, a steering wheel positon sensor, a yaw (directional) sensor, and a lateral force sensor. The system also depends on good connections, wiring, and grounds. There additional information in this thread.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...74-abs-activating-during-normal-dry-stop.html

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

So the whole 5200 rpm thing is being caused by the traction control?

----------

I went out for a drive and disabled the stability system by holding the T/C button for 5 seconds, and I was able to reach redline in 3rd without the car killing me!

----------

Well I think that solves it sir.. Thanks for the help man! Have a good one.

· Registered
04 CTS-V and 94 SLS
153 Posts
I have to turn off my traction control and stability control every time I drive... I have different symptoms but the same problem the safety system trying to fix a problem that isn't really there.

I keep ignoring it because it's cheaper to push a button than to fix!

· Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe, 2014 ELR, 2018 XT5 AWD
1,782 Posts
To recap.
Your car has a known abs/traction control/stability fault.
Under conditions that might activate one of the above systems to activate the car misbehaves.
No big mystery there.
Figure out which sensor is causing the fault and fix it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts