Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Hi - I live in NE and I am thinking about a CTS-V. I currently have a Volvo S60R which is of course great in the snow, but how are the CST's? I'm looking for a little more acceleration and wonder what your experience has been - Thanks Mark

·
Registered
2005 REDLINE CTS-V, 2005 RAVEN SRX AWD
6 Posts
I'm in NE as well, got my V in Feb of 05. I brought it to work one day knowing snow was in the forecast but figured I'd sneak out before it started. As luck would have it there was about 1/2 inch of wet snow on the ground when I left. It was the most difficult and stressful driving experience of life and I live less than 2 miles from my office. It's the tires, the traction control will allow to get moving, but after that the fronts and the rears will just plow sideways out of nowhere. To get the car home, I had to shut off the traction control and gently slip the tires back to straight with the slightest accelerator pressure. The whole time compensating for the side slipping front tires. I got home in about 17 minutes and I was sweating like I just ran a marathon. So no I really don't recommend the V in the snow. My business partner has the S60R, he picks me up on snow days when I don't have the company pickup handy.

Two guys at work both have CTS Sport Packages, with the 3.8L, these cars are amazing in the snow, up hills, on ice, like there is no reason to buy FWD anymore after seeing these cars in the snow. Unfortunately unless you want to change tires every season, and I'm not guaranteeing that will totally solve the problem your best sticking with the R.

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Should you choose to mount winter tires/all-season tires, you should be in good shape. I've gone the route of buying a set of used Mille Miglias and will probably mount the Avon or Kumho M+S tires for winter. Then, when spring comes, I'll change the run-flats and go with 255/275 Azenis 615s on my stockers. Pure-unadulterated performance tires for summer, reasonably acceptable tires for winter. Its not like we have a season of non-stop snow on the ground, where Blizzaks are required, so a good A/S tire should fare well. And should I get the bug to mount R-comps on the Miglias for autox or track days, I can always replace the "guaranteed to be toast by end of summer" r-comps, and mount the A/s tires back on for the chilly weather.

Keep in mind, the S60 may be a great car in the snow...but how are you going to feel during the other 9months when you don't have the V???? A few days of compromised snow duty vs 9months of compromised performance....think about it.
Ve good,
ace996

·
Registered
'04 V sedan manual raven, '09 V sedan auto raven
380 Posts
I have to agree with Rayban. The F1's have no buisness in the snow new, worn, you aren't going to be in for a hard time. I also am interested in getting separate wheels and winter tires.

I also agree with ace. I was debating about getting rid of the V for something that would be better in the snow, but then i thought, I am going to compromise big time for the 325 other days in the year.

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V platinum/blk.
1,227 Posts
mehansen50 said:
:confused: Hi - I live in NE and I am thinking about a CTS-V. I currently have a Volvo S60R which is of course great in the snow, but how are the CST's? I'm looking for a little more acceleration and wonder what your experience has been - Thanks Mark
Bro, you have a Jeep and a Suburban. Sell the Volvo, buy a V, and park it in the winter. End of story. You're welcome.

-MB

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
2005 CTS-V (Sold), 2017 Volt Premier (16-yr-old son), '16 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,941 Posts
You say you want a little more acceleration? Get a V!!!:bouncy: ... just don't run the F1s in the snow.:tisk: I just got Avons and, like ace, I'm going to put them on some Mille Miglias and swap them back and forth depending upon the season, and I'll use one of the F1s as a spare in the winter.:D

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you're looking for a little more accelleration, the V is overkill, try an Audi S4. That's got all wheel drive, so it's good in the snow, and it'll waste the S60R.

Good luck with the solution. I'm up in NH, so I've got the same problem. In the end, I decided to park the V and buy a Ford Ranger 4x4 for the winter season. It's not glamorous, but it'll do.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The F1s are horrible on snow or ice. Anyone running F1s should know this ahead of time. Bottom line - do not under any circumstances try to drive a car with F1s in these conditions. Park it! The problem is the tires, not the car.

·
Registered
438 Posts
DrivingAmericanNow said:
, try an Audi S4. That's got all wheel drive, so it's good in the snow
:histeric:

Ummm . . . not on performance tires, it's not. No traction at four spots instead of two spots still means no traction.

·
Registered
261 Posts
RobzBLKV said:
:histeric:

Ummm . . . not on performance tires, it's not. No traction at four spots instead of two spots still means no traction.
Very True, never drove my Quattro without snow tires. Blizzaks and Quattro are unstoppable. Just gotta be careful to mind poor handling and increased stopping distances while you wear them.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Wouldn't know... I have an Audi for the winter.. the Caddy is being garaged during foul weather and slick conditions.

The traction control and all is great, but an all season performance tire is NOT going to cut it. If you want to brave the snow in a RWD car, get a sturdy set of snow tires like Blizzaks or Nokians.... BMWs fair well in the snow with a full set of snow tires.... anything less and you're "slip slidin' and away".

I love the audi... she's my ski bitch. A6 4.2... V8... four heated seats... quite the luxurious ski mobile.

·
Registered
2005 CTS
214 Posts
It's not about the power. It's not about RWD/FWD/AWD. It's all about the tires.

I had a FWD Nissan NX2000 with about 140hp (on a good day). It also had Dunlop SP8000's. 1" of snow would stop it dead in it's tracks. I put Michelin Alpin's on it and nothing less than half a foot would even slow it down. I lost count of the number of Exploders, Envoys, etc. stuck in ditches and snow banks that I passed on my commutes in typical New Hampshire winters.

Get the V. Get winter tires. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
590 Posts
I agree - the tires make more difference than anything else - including traction control. We got 12"+ snow/slush in Denver over the past 18 hours and I didn't even try to take anything out in this slop unless the tires were up to it. I still have F1s on my V so it stays in the garage. My other rear wheel drive car (T-Bird with no traction control) does just fine with new Goodyear Eagle GT-HRs on all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Conti ExtremeContacts on my A4 1.8T Quattro worked fantastic in deep snow. Serious tread, but soft sidewalls so no go on twisties with them. They wore very well. And they rocked in the snow, my wife and I would wait until it snowed heavy and then went out just for fun. Did I mention that they rock in the snow?....

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think it even says somewhere in the owners manual not to drive it in the snow. My 4 cyl s-10 doesn't do any good, it's hard to get goin and it only has about 90hp at the rear wheels.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I can actually remember when their was only RWD cars with no electronic garbage helping them out. I'm sure the V will do ok with a good set of all season or snow tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK, I think I'm sold on the Continental ContiExtreme Contacts -- only about $600 for all 4 on TireRack.com. But, the local "approved" installer says that I'll have an extra $15 PER TIRE charge because they have to do something special because of the advanced tire pressure sensors... is this legit or are they just boosting their margins? They also said they could do rotations free for the life of the tires, EXCEPT for this added charge every time they rotate! RIPOFF???? :suspect:

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
I got a set of Blizaaks coming soon. Hopefully it'll be good enuff for the winter. I'm up in Canada.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
How often do you need to drive in actual snow? Roads in the NE are usually cleared off within a couple hours. I don't own snows and 99% of the time, in the winter, I can drive the V with F1s on the streets.

And if anyone complains about the F1s in snow, you're dumb. If you're driving any tire not marked M+S in the snow, see last statement.

·
Registered
04CTSVsc
854 Posts
Buy a winter beater car/truck, or use one of the ones that are listed in your stable there. No worries then...

Just saw the "Ice Possible" warning screen on my V this AM for the first time. Out comes the Subaru!

ew

1 - 20 of 31 Posts