Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally ended up buying a CTS-V. Although its a great car, there are TOO MANY problems with the car. Please give your input as to what may be wrong, or if this is a common problem with the car. I read through a lot of the posts, and this is a great forum!

1)Very difficult shifting at times. I have to get off my clutch 2 times before I can get into first gear from nuetral at times. Took it to the dealer, and they claimed it is normal...not surprising to hear that from them since the car is under warranty!

2) When you shift into second gear, of course there is the clunk, but also there is a noise from the gear box as well...hard to describe, but if you have it, you'll know.

3) Very rough idle. Good thing, but my engine seems to be choking! Its not a continous rough idle, rather smooth, then bang its rough...then smooth...and another cough leading it to become rough.

4) Vibrating noise/buzzing noise coming from somewhere near the dash. Going to go and look at the windshield as someone stated...and see what that is all about.

5) Wheel hop just sucks! But I can live with it.

6) Between 2200 and 3500 rpm, normally in 4th gear, you hear this weird noise from the engine. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Love the car, but hate its issues. Please let me know if you guys know of any good dealers around Southern California to take these problems too and if you know of any solutions. All help is appreciated.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ensure that you are pushing the clutch pedal to the floor; I had the same problem but after re-fitting the floor mat it gave me an extra 1/4inch. The tremec gearbox which I have also on my Viper gets better with use. Also release the brake when you shift into first (when stopped);

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ishminder said:
Please let me know if you guys know of any good dealers around Southern California to take these problems too and if you know of any solutions. All help is appreciated.
Parkway in Valencia (Santa Clarita Valley) is treating me right so far with my V.

Marty

·
Registered
70 Posts
what is it with these freakin links coming up on words in peoples text? is this guy for real? how could you have bought a car with so many problems? didnt you drive the shit out of it before you bought it? i know i do!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Every car design has a couple cars that have their share of problems. Unfortunately, you mostly here the bad on car enthusiast sites.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dave's V said:
Every car design has a couple cars that have their share of problems. Unfortunately, you mostly here the bad on car enthusiast sites.
i need to elaborate. do others have these same probs with cts-v's?

i have heard of differential problems

·
Registered
895 Posts
Unfortunately, the parade clunk shows up when you drive it like a granny (how many people do that on a test drive?). The CTS V has only been around for 2 years and in very limited quanities.

The rough idle could just be a normal trait of the LS6. The last one definitely sounds like the harmonic problem people have complained about.

We can probably throw in a few more bad things about the car (crappy life of run craps, bad alignment from the factory and a 3 year old NAV disk) but 99.5% of us LOVE this car. I just took care of one problem by replacing the run craps with Avon 551 A/S tires. What a difference!! My rear dif has been real quiet, even with the new TSB bushings. It can blow itself up now though so I can get an 06 version rear dif.

·
Registered
895 Posts
It isn't close to being bad. It isn't the most reliable car I have owned so far (97 VW Passat) but not the most unreliable (96 TA or 98 Audi A4) either.

This car is the most fun to drive though of any of my previous cars, even together. You can't say that about many cars out there.

You can either cry about its negatives or enjoy its positives.

Now if Cadillac spent more time quaility checking this car before it came to market, a lot of its problems would probably have been fixed already.

·
Registered
70 Posts
yeh, i wish they did more testing before they threw them onto the streets, after all look at the stickers on these cars new, the least you should expect is a reliable vehicle. a4 how was it? my buddys trans shop has one right now a 96 with alot of manual tanny probs, he said they were slush boxes. that true?

i guess i have been lucky with cars so far, hate to say it mostly ford coupes. love my eldo though, plus i stole it for the money, guess i cant:hide: complain i got a $45k car for what they payed in sales tax orginally.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The V is equipped with a Tremec T56. It's a heavy duty 6 speed transmission. The same one they use in the Vipers, Z06 Vettes, & 2003+ Cobra Mustangs. If you 've never driven a performance car before, I suggest you drive one of the cars listed above OR a car that has a T56 transplanted in it. This specific tranny is "difficult" to shift at times. I used to own a 2003 Cobra Mustang and I can tell you the T56 is helluva lot stiffer when shifting in that car than the Caddy. The Cobra's shifter sits directly on the T56, unlike the V's which is attached to linkage arms, so that might be the reason I feel a difference.;)

·
Registered
895 Posts
mrnextel said:
yeh, i wish they did more testing before they threw them onto the streets, after all look at the stickers on these cars new, the least you should expect is a reliable vehicle. a4 how was it? my buddys trans shop has one right now a 96 with alot of manual tanny probs, he said they were slush boxes. that true?

i guess i have been lucky with cars so far, hate to say it mostly ford coupes. love my eldo though, plus i stole it for the money, guess i cant:hide: complain i got a $45k car for what they payed in sales tax orginally.
My 98 Audi A4 was the ONLY car to leave me stranded, bad ignition pack. I had the tiptronic so I couldn't comment on the slush box. The suspension did start to feel very loose at 30,000 miles though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I understand your frustration. I was all set to buy a V until all the reseaching I did on this forum. Don't get me wrong, I think the V is a bad ass car, however, Cadillac has not taken care of some pretty obvious problems. I live in CA, use the lemon laws. They are very clear and direct regarding reoccuring problems. Most of the time if you just get a letter from a lemon law attorney, the dealer will change their tune very quickly.

PC

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
I learned to drive sticks in old Italian and German rust buckets, so when I'm at a standstill I almost always (very quickly) put my car in 3rd, 2nd then 1st, if I want reverse I always go to 3rd then reverse. This pretty much makes the trans as smooth as silk. When I forget to do this the V is very tough to put in 1st. Old habits die hard.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
15 Participants
Ishminder