Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
03 cts
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cts v exhaust question.

i keep seeing people put the dual cts v exhaust on there 03 3.2s. is this mod just for looks or has someone dynoed there car after this mod. i always went with single outlets on my camaros cause i would always get more torque from more back pressure. tell me what you think:hmm:

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
Re: cts v ehaust question.

not many of us who did this do it for racing or more torque...it is more less for a decent sound and the look

·
Registered
07 CTS 3.6
1,484 Posts

i keep seeing people put the dual cts v exhaust on there 03 3.2s. is this mod just for looks or has someone dynoed there car after this mod. i always went with single outlets on my camaros cause i would always get more torque from more back pressure. tell me what you think:hmm:
Unless you have a "V" there is really no point into getting any other model dynoed. Just for the simple fact that it costs 200 to get a dyno run and a lot of of us would rather put that money into the car or the bank. I have had many high horse powered cars and now have a cts. o be honest i dont feel the need to worry about hp. im more concerned with adding the exhaust and intake for fuel consumption, and fortunately that adds more hp. How much??? No idea, to me, it doesnt matter.

Now if i had "V", yeah, hp would be a concern.. i mean why not, its a v8 and can produce a lot of power with very few mods... lets just say that if i had gotten a "V", i wold probably get divorced within a year due to the amount of money i would put into the car... lmao.

Though it would be interesting to see what an intake and exhuast would do hp, wise to a 3.6...

·
Registered
2006 3.6-Volant CAI, V-exhaust, LED swap, Clear DRL, 6000k
1,698 Posts

Though it would be interesting to see what an intake and exhuast would do hp, wise to a 3.6...
quoted from the "Great Air Intake Challenge", testing was done by user HaveBlue, and we thank him!

STOCK INTAKE
splash guard in place, radiator air deflector in place. lower valance panel in place.

220 RWHP

TONY A MODIFIED STOCK AIR BOX
splash guard cut to match opening (supplied by Ody). Lower valance panel removed.

225 RWHP
made a few more HP than stock all through the rpm range

K&N FIPK KIT
splash guard removed. lower valance panel removed

A quick spike at the end showed 236 hp but 228 hp what showed on the screen on both runs.

228RWHP

VOLANT
splash guard removed. radiator air deflector folded over to expose front snorkle.

233 RWHP
when i put my Volant intake on the performance increase was easily noticeable across the board at all RPMs (as well as the MPG improvement-mostly in city driving), when i put the V exhaust on my car i didnt notice anything but the awesome exhaust note. im sure some low end torque was lost, but meh, i dont care, such a small amount i'll never notice and the sound and little MPG improvement was worth it.
im thinking about putting an X-pipe on in the spring but im worried about drone.

·
Registered
07 CTS 3.6
1,484 Posts

quoted from the "Great Air Intake Challenge", testing was done by user HaveBlue, and we thank him!

when i put my Volant intake on the performance increase was easily noticeable across the board at all RPMs (as well as the MPG improvement-mostly in city driving), when i put the V exhaust on my car i didnt notice anything but the awesome exhaust note. im sure some low end torque was lost, but meh, i dont care, such a small amount i'll never notice and the sound and little MPG improvement was worth it.
im thinking about putting an X-pipe on in the spring but im worried about drone.
yeah i saw that thread but its just for the intake... ill be going a different route other than the "V" exhaust.. but i will use the volant intake cause, well its better than the K&N.

What benefits would come from putting an x pipe in?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts

What benefits would come from putting an x pipe in?
i was browsing the CaddyFAQ today and finally came across the best/ most informative reason to add an X pipe.. haha and upon posting here i realized Batman works at Magnaflow

How And Why "X"-Pipes Work
By Bruce Wayne, MagnaFlow Performance
There has been an enormous amount of press about getting more out of performance exhaust systems. By incorporating "cross-over" or "X"- pipes in dual pipe systems, to balance out flow, many enthusiasts have found an extra edge. However, the perception is that this is new technology. Nothing could be further from the truth. But, why is an "X" pipe better than an "H"?

The reason an X-Pipe crossover works better than an H-pipe crossover isn't more flow because of volume, but more effective use of exhaust gas velocity. Exhaust gas (or air) has surface tension, and flows much like liquid would through the same pipe system. As the cylinders of each bank on a "V" style motor fire, they create a pulse in the system. The pulses will alternate back and forth from bank to bank as the motor runs. With multiple cylinders, such as a V-8, the eight cylinders alternately fire creates lots of pulses in the system.

If you put your hand behind the tailpipe, it would feel like a constant flow of air, but what it really is a lot of singular pulses giving the impression of constant flow. The idea behind the H and X style crossover is to unite the two banks of cylinders for better exhaust gas scavenging. Instead of two separate banks of four cylinders doing their own work, the crossover uses the pulse created by a firing cylinder of one bank to create a vacuum in the other bank because of surface tension. When a cylinder of the other bank is ready to fire, instead of the piston having to force the exhaust gas out of the cylinder, the vacuum that was created by the other cylinder bank helps suck the exhaust gas out of the cylinder, hence the term "scavenging."

Whenever you can reduce the load on an internal combustion engine, you are likely going to see performance and efficiency benefits. The difference between an H and X crossover is a smoother path for the exhaust gas to follow. Exhaust gas, like a liquid, will follow a path with the least amount of resistance. An H crossover has a path with two sharp 90-degree angles that are close together. An X crossover has a path with a much more gradual bend to allow the exhaust gases to continue their path back out to the ends of the tailpipes, rather then turning sideways for a short distance, then turn again to head out the tailpipes. Smooth flow with high velocity means more power by use of scavenging. Using an exhaust system with too large of piping diameter work against scavenging in the same way that running an exhaust with too small of tubing chokes the motor and forces it to work harder to expel the exhaust gases
this is the link on Cadillac FAQ http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/xpipe.html

·
Registered
07 CTS 3.6
1,484 Posts

i was browsing the CaddyFAQ today and finally came across the best/ most informative reason to add an X pipe.. haha and upon posting here i realized Batman works at Magnaflow

this is the link on Cadillac FAQ http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/xpipe.html
thats funny cause at the same time you posted that i had found it.. thanks bud. Ive owned a few domestic copes, 1) 97 ford cobra, 2) 99 trans am. bothe had borla exhaust cat backs on them which had the x pipe in it as well. never read about the x pipe till just now but it makes a lot of sense..

·
Registered
1,698 Posts

to the OP, i dont know why i didnt mention this sooner, but instead of going for the large V exhaust on your 3.2, you could always grab the dual exhaust off the 3.6

·
Registered
03 cts
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

to the OP, i dont know why i didnt mention this sooner, but instead of going for the large V exhaust on your 3.2, you could always grab the dual exhaust off the 3.6
well thats what i want to do. i want my car as quiet as possible but with the dual tips. i just didnt understand why everyone doesnt do that. if your just going for looks wouldnt the v exhaust be a lot more money than the 3.6 exhaust?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts

well thats what i want to do. i want my car as quiet as possible but with the dual tips. i just didnt understand why everyone doesnt do that. if your just going for looks wouldnt the v exhaust be a lot more money than the 3.6 exhaust?
yes and no, everyone (i think) on here running the V exhaust has bought it used from someone with a V who upgraded. i got mine for $250ish (cant remember exactly) others have been given them for free, so the price varies.
same can be said for the 3.6 dual exhaust. im pretty sure everyone who went from the 3.6 to V setup cut the 3.6 exhaust section (from the cat flange to front of resonator) and swapped it in on the V since the bolt mounts on the cat are wider on the V and the base CTS needs the O2 sensor mounts on that section of piping.
so if you do find a used 3.6 exhaust, it might only be the resonator back to the mufflers.
you could check junk yards and see what you come across.
the tips on the 3.6 exhaust are just ugly down swept tubes, so you would likely want to put some nice stainless steel bolt/weld on ones.

once you've bought the 3.6 exhaust and a pair of good tips, you might be getting close to what a used V setup would've run you.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/tuners/112_0211_2003_lund_cadillac_cts/index.html
The stock 3.2L V-6 benefits from a free-breathing Volant fresh-air intake and a B&B low-restriction cat-back exhaust system. The upgrades team to deliver a claimed 20-hp gain and yield a decidedly more aggressive sound.
Running a true dual exhaust is less restrictive. As for backpressure...
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_product/sue462/backpressuretorquemyth.htm

Our cars calculate fuel injection so backpressure is useless. Your best bet would be to remove all backpressure while maintaining a good flow.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Does a 2004 CTS V CatBack Exhaust Fit on a 3.6L 2005 CTS

I know u can chop the exhaust of the 3.6L and put on the V exhaust, but before I actually go pick up the system I want to make sure that an 04 V exhaust will work. Im just not sure if there are any differences between model years.

Also, just out of curiosity this mod / exhaust swap kind of developed a name on here. What was it called?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Re: Does a 2004 CTS V CatBack Exhaust Fit on a 3.6L 2005 CTS

I also want to make sure that i dont need a v rear bumper facia for the V exhaust to fit.

·
Registered
269 Posts

Im not seeing anything under the exhaust section.
Also, Im trying to.figure out how far the exhaust should stick out the back. I want it the same as a V. No more, no less. Does anyone know how far the tips should stick out past the opening on the rear facia?

·
Registered
6,414 Posts

you will have to have it cut right after the cat back and have your fitting welded onto the V exhaust....plenty of us have done this already and have done the same exact thing. you do not need a V bumper to do this mod either

·
Registered
269 Posts

you will have to have it cut right after the cat back and have your fitting welded onto the V exhaust....plenty of us have done this already and have done the same exact thing. you do not need a V bumper to do this mod either
Thanks. I know its quite popular and have read up on it before. I found a custom exhaust shop by me that has actually done this to two other cts cars. Hes right down the road from the proving grounds whwre I work and the guy off craigslist lives right down the road too. Basically, I can come into work in the morning, pick up the exhaust and drop it off at the shop with a friend and then get a ride back after work and I will have a new exhaust! Sweet!

Bout to go try and cancel my order for the E&G tips from carid.com. they have been back ordered for weeks! I better be able to get a refund

·
Registered
6,414 Posts

carid is usually pretty good about that especially on back ordered parts...do you have a CAI installed yet? if so, what kind or did you make one yourself?

·
Registered
2007 CTS Thunder Gray
1,055 Posts

Thanks. I know its quite popular and have read up on it before. I found a custom exhaust shop by me that has actually done this to two other cts cars. Hes right down the road from the proving grounds whwre I work and the guy off craigslist lives right down the road too. Basically, I can come into work in the morning, pick up the exhaust and drop it off at the shop with a friend and then get a ride back after work and I will have a new exhaust! Sweet!
You could basically do this on your lunch break. It is a super easy 30 minute job tops. Don't let them overcharge you either. It shouldn't cost more than 75 or so to install. Actually, you should probably be there when they install it. That way when they line up the new exhaust and start cutting your old one out, you can have input on how far your tips stick out. I've seen some pretty gnarly jobs where guys have their tips sticking out a full inch or inch and a half.

You might be able to tell from this pic of mine. I added the V Exhaust last summer... They stick out maybe a 1/4 inch on the inside edge and 1/2 inch on the outside edge. It looks nice and clean that way.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts