cts-v
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
cts-v
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I purchased the costar unit and installed it in about 10mins with a simple cable tie and unplugging two white harness. I have to say its nice to have blue tooth in my car finally without having to resort to using an actual headset.

for the ease of install i must say its a great unit and the developer seems to be on top of his work by giving a 1yr warranty and being reachable is you have any issues.

to install it you go to the faq and follow the steps to disable onstar and its crazy simple. sorry no pics i didnt think it was going to get installed so fast.

-Will

·
Registered
07 Light Platinum CTS V (Valarie) 99 Pewter Trans Am (Jesse)
70 Posts
was reading the above post and then went to the website.... seems to be up to 2006 models and doesn't work with iPhone:(

·
Registered
cts-v
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i have a 2005 so i dunno what to tell you. but it works in my car just fine. and i'm sure if you email the creator chris about the iphone issue ( even though only fruit cakes use iphones) he may be able to figure something out for u.

where did you see that it doesnt work with the iphone though?

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V
235 Posts
was reading the above post and then went to the website.... seems to be up to 2006 models and doesn't work with iPhone:(
what do you mean it doesnt work with the iphone? isnt bluetooth all the same?

edit:

from the FAQ:
7. Will it work with my phone?
The Motorola HF850 junction box is what interfaces to your phone and it will interface to almost every phone on the market today. This includes Blackberry’s and iPhones as well as phones from other manufacturers including Samsung, LG, and of course Motorola.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V
235 Posts
I purchased the costar unit and installed it in about 10mins with a simple cable tie and unplugging two white harness. I have to say its nice to have blue tooth in my car finally without having to resort to using an actual headset.

for the ease of install i must say its a great unit and the developer seems to be on top of his work by giving a 1yr warranty and being reachable is you have any issues.

to install it you go to the faq and follow the steps to disable onstar and its crazy simple. sorry no pics i didnt think it was going to get installed so fast.

-Will
wow nice dude... hows the sound quality? can they hear you just fine?

Does the radio/cd turn off or pause when a call comes in?

·
Registered
2004 Cts-v
129 Posts
what do you mean it doesnt work with the iphone? isnt bluetooth all the same?

edit:

from the FAQ:
7. Will it work with my phone?
The Motorola HF850 junction box is what interfaces to your phone and it will interface to almost every phone on the market today. This includes Blackberry’s and iPhones as well as phones from other manufacturers including Samsung, LG, and of course Motorola.
Actually, I read up more on the compatibility of the iPhone 1st Gen and that moto box, and it never works right...a bunch of issues. Maybe the later firmware for the iphone 1st gen fixes the issues, but as usual crapple cripples the BT stack on their hardware.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V
235 Posts
Actually, I read up more on the compatibility of the iPhone 1st Gen and that moto box, and it never works right...a bunch of issues. Maybe the later firmware for the iphone 1st gen fixes the issues, but as usual crapple cripples the BT stack on their hardware.
what about the 3g?

·
Registered
2004 Cts-v
129 Posts
what about the 3g?
They said the 3G works, but if I remeber correctly theyre were still issues with voice quality and delayed acceptance of incoming call. Google it more, b/c the issues might be resolved with latest firmware updates, but doubt it...crapple wants you to buy next hardware option, instead of fixing the software..classic apple.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, Black
2,163 Posts

·
Registered
cts-v
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow nice dude... hows the sound quality? can they hear you just fine?

Does the radio/cd turn off or pause when a call comes in?
the sound quality is good, minor static but that can be from some feedback i need to take care of. when a call comes in it does the same things that would when an onstar call comes in. the radio mutes and you hear the call through the speakers in the car. also the car will have its own ringtone if you let it ring enough time.

i only have one issue and i think its due to the bt stack in my phone and its not a big issue once a call starts.

for the ease of installation and how well it works i have no complaints. its better then trying to drive with no hands and it makes use of the phone setup in the car.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
157 Posts
Do you think that the static could be from the BT unit being mounted in the trunk. I would be concerned about the distance. I know they say it shouldn't be an issue but I can put my phone in its holster on my left hip and a BT in my right ear and I loose reception. I would guess loading up the trunk with some luggage and a couple kids in the back seat won't help. I am going to order one and hope that it works, if not I will move it up under the dash somewhere. Keep us updated on how it works.

·
Registered
cts-v
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you think that the static could be from the BT unit being mounted in the trunk. I would be concerned about the distance. I know they say it shouldn't be an issue but I can put my phone in its holster on my left hip and a BT in my right ear and I loose reception. I would guess loading up the trunk with some luggage and a couple kids in the back seat won't help. I am going to order one and hope that it works, if not I will move it up under the dash somewhere. Keep us updated on how it works.
well an easy fix to test that would be to put the phone in the trunk for a test call but the static seems to have gone mostly. I think its the bt stack on my phone. most smart phones have screwy bt stacks and htc has been known to screw the pooch some times. i'm gonna play with it this weekend if i get a chance and i know how much your scrardy cats love vids so i'll try to make one if i can.

Like i said, if you compare this to the bt in a bmw or mb then you are going to be let down. but thats mostly due to the shame of a 2002 HU we have in our car. but for making use of the in car phone options this is a great solution and there is no cutting nor wires/mics hanging around anywhere. it looks oem and my wife can finally stop asking my why the phone button in a caddy doesnt do anything.

if you live in jersey and want to see if first hand let me know, i'll see if i can find time to meet you guys.

·
Registered
37,277 Posts
wow, so somebody is actually selling these now.

It's basically the same thing Reed was offering for a while:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/105273-bluetooth-interface-order-now.html

It fakes the data bus in the CTS into thinking the bluetooth connection is Onstar (hence why you have to unplug onstar)

I had one in my V for a while, but I was not too happy with the sound quality. But I was not using the Motorola unit either, maybe that was the problem. I have a Parrot, and I have since wired it to the amp directly and it sounds better, still not perfect though.

With that moto kit being so cheap now, I may buy one just for kicks and try it out.

·
Registered
37,277 Posts
oh, and having the bluetooth kit in the trunk is not likely a problem. In my V, the parrot brainbox is in the trunk, and I get no static at all.

In my CTS, the brainbox is tucked into the carpeting in the driver footwell, and I get intermittent static. I don't think it is in the bluetooth link though because the streaming music does not have any static, just phone calls.

·
Registered
cts-v
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Which HTC are you using?
I have like 4 but the one paired to it now is a sprint htc touch diamond

oh, and having the bluetooth kit in the trunk is not likely a problem. In my V, the parrot brainbox is in the trunk, and I get no static at all.

In my CTS, the brainbox is tucked into the carpeting in the driver footwell, and I get intermittent static. I don't think it is in the bluetooth link though because the streaming music does not have any static, just phone calls.
yeah i had static that first day and then it went away. I havent driven my car for a few days, but when i go back to it i can speak on it a bit more.

i'm not sure if it would do streaming music but i can try it.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.