Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced any head gasket issues? I am loosing antifreeze, smell antifreeze and it is not on the ground. I have had this issue with several other cars in the past and wondered if anyone has heard of any problems with the CTS.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Never heard of that problem on the CTS. That's not good if it's not on the ground. It must be going into your engine. Change your oil right away. the water will seperate from the oil and you will see it. I hope you have warranty left??:eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Robert,
Thanks for the reply. Like your car.
Already had the oil changed. No water. That is characteristic of head gasket though. The antifreeze burns up in the chamber and exits thru the exhaust. The problem is that it is hard to diagnose until it gets really bad. I was hoping someone else may have already experienced it. I know when the car was introduced GM had mega problems with the engine. The company I was with were flying DC 10's full of new engines to keep the plant running until they figured out the problem.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
GRPowrie said:
Robert,
Thanks for the reply. Like your car.
Already had the oil changed. No water. That is characteristic of head gasket though. The antifreeze burns up in the chamber and exits thru the exhaust. The problem is that it is hard to diagnose until it gets really bad. I was hoping someone else may have already experienced it. I know when the car was introduced GM had mega problems with the engine. The company I was with were flying DC 10's full of new engines to keep the plant running until they figured out the problem.
So has your coolant level went down any? And is the car still under warranty? How many miles?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would have the dealer perform a pressure test. Do you have a lot of smoke coming out of the tailpipes? I'm thinking intake manifold gasket.

·
Registered
2005 CTS
214 Posts
Another hint that may help:

If you can do it easily, pull the spark plugs. Water/antifreeze in the cylinder will sort of 'steam clean' that cylinder. If one or more plugs are really clean, or have a different appearance that the others, it may indicate leakage into that cylinder.

For what it's worth, I used to have a car that went through head gaskets about every 30K due to bad design. Antifreeze never hit the ground, and never entered the cyliders or oil. The leak was external, hidden the back of the engine under the exhaust manifold. It was a PITA, but if you knew where to look, you could find the teltale signs of a leak.

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
You could just have a weak hose clamp.

My 2002 Trans Am started loosing coolant also and I could find not any trace of it. Took it to the dealer and they found one bad clamp, apparently the coolant was buring off on the engine block and was hard to notice that for a novice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts