Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SLS
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An Asian-built six-speed manual transmission is the standard offering for the CTS. This according to Edmunds. Wow, GM is conceding that their nemesis's parts are better than GM's?

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
The previous 5 spd manual was German. This one is Asian. AND the Asian company Aisin is a part of Toyota. Big deal.

Like has been said before, lots of parts of the CTS are outsourced to foreign, sometimes competing companies. Its still cheaper this way. All manufacturers oursource.

How many of you know that Bentley and Rolls have used GM transmissions?

·
Registered
2017 XT5 and 2014 Corvette
1,183 Posts
I assume that Asian manufacturer you are talking about is Aisin. Aisin manufacturers transmissions for some 35 automotive manufacturers around the world. That includes GM, Ford, Porsche, Audi, Toyota, Nissan and others. So, let's beat up GM for using a world class transmission.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 and 2014 Corvette
1,183 Posts
The previous 5 spd manual was German. This one is Asian. AND the Asian company Aisin is a part of Toyota. Big deal.

Like has been said before, lots of parts of the CTS are outsourced to foreign, sometimes competing companies. Its still cheaper this way. All manufacturers oursource.

How many of you know that Bentley and Rolls have used GM transmissions?
Aisin is not part of Toyota, although Toyota is a major shareholder.

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
oooh I have been waiting to use this one for months

muhahahahahaha

there have been a lot of collaborations in the past. how abotu the diamond star motors? (found in turbo eclipses) that engine was designed as a joint effort between chrysler and mitsubishi (a decent engine really.. excepet for the crank walk)

so lets see GM said.. "hey, should we develop a new transmission from scratch spending millions on research cost that would have to be passed on to the consumer or use a readily available and cost effective solution?"
amazing, the GM exects went for the cost effective solution.

·
Registered
CTS
343 Posts
They do the auto used in the CTS was used by BMW and Acura before GM had it in the CTS.
Exactly. In fact, if you look for a transmission service manual for the CTS, it often says BMW 5 series/ Cadillac CTS. Kind of cool to think that BMW's have the same transmission as our CTS's. :bouncy:

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
Exactly. In fact, if you look for a transmission service manual for the CTS, it often says BMW 5 series/ Cadillac CTS. Kind of cool to think that BMW's have the same transmission as our CTS's. :bouncy:
Now the proper way to phrase that is "I'm sure BMW drivers think it's kinda cool that their cars have the same transmission our CTS has." :thumbsup:

·
Registered
09 CTS 3.6l SFI 6MT
146 Posts
I believe that GM does not make any manual transmissions for cars - they are all outsourced.

I drive an '05 stick and happy with the tranny. An american sedan with a stick option - you gotta support it or it will disappear. I would prefer a shorter throw, but you can't have everything.

:stirpot:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts