Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to transition my CTS Wagon to a V. Has anyone done an upgrade like this? Even though I got the car at a reasonable price......I'm wondering am I better off just buying a V instead of trying to do an upgrade. I'm thinking things could get pricey in doing an upgrade.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe RWD Black
148 Posts
It's been done but I think the general consensus is it's cheaper to just buy a V.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe RWD Black
148 Posts
Def too much if you pay someone to do it, but if you are gona do all the labor yourself I'd say go for it! If you are serious def buy a whole wrecked V, much cheaper than sourcing parts from somewhere.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
8,645 Posts
You'll never get your money back on the investment.
Do it because you want to with the understanding that in the end you have a clone worth a fraction of the genuine article and the cash you've laid out.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,813 Posts
If you want it to LOOK like a V, go for it and change the hood/bumper/grille etc. If you actually want the drivetrain... buy a V.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,052 Posts
Given the differences between the two vehicles the easiest way to create a -V would be to jack up your rearview mirror and run a used CTS-V under it.

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
2,741 Posts
If you want a V , buy a V.

You CAN transition it but requires a donar V to do. And when you consider the cost to buying 2 cars and the cost to convert everything over, you are better off just buying a V.

You can also just throw a supercharger on that engine and get most of the power of a V at "minimal" cost. Then maybe just upgrade the brakes and call it a day.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,430 Posts
It has been done but the guy who did it is an absolute D-bag. It definitely is not worth the effort unless you have all the time in the world and find two cheap donor cars. As everyone else has said, "Just buy a V."

·
Registered
08 CTS 6.0L/6L80 conversion
241 Posts
If your wanting to convert your CTS into a CTS-V then I agree that it will cost more that just buying the real thing. Now if your wanting to do a V8 conversion then that's a completely different question.
If you are wanting a cheap alternative to the real deal, I see second gen CTS-Vs with rebuilt titles go for around $15K, that's still more that what I have into my V8 conversion.....

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
8,645 Posts
PS are you referring to me as a D-bag because I'm really more of a prick
LOL!
I read that post and knew tinman wasn't referring to you, but someone just passing through could totally interpret it that way. Too funny, man.

·
Registered
08 CTS 6.0L/6L80 conversion
241 Posts
I didn't think he was because I never made my CTS into a CTS-V
the only other one I know of is a right hand drive someone did a conversion on.

PS I'm still a prick tho....

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,430 Posts
No, a different D-bag, lol. Anorher guy on a dedicated CTS-V site.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe RWD Black
148 Posts
I have a CTS-4 wagon that I bought over a V wagon for the obvious price diff, AWD and Mpg as I use it as my daily driver. I plan on doing the overkill super charger or twin turbo once my V coupe is paid off. Once complete it will easily be 450whp which is about what a stock V puts down but still with AWD and all the same luxury features as a V cause it's the premium edition.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Luxury Wagon
66 Posts
The only problem with buying a V Wagon is the ridiculous pricing, they're selling for what they cost new 10 years ago.

If you want just the ponies than an LSA swap is easy if you have an RWD, to begin with, But if you want all of the additional features then it will be a PITA. All of the electrical wirings would have to be redone. You'd have to strip the wagon to the frame and reinstall everything from the donor car. Mightest well do a rad paint job at that point. But you can get an LSA or LS9 cheap if you just want a motor swap. The Brembo swap shouldn't be too difficult either. But anything electrical will be a headache because there are specific electrical looms for each model. GM didn't put the same wiring in each model.

My $0.02, buy a fully loaded Premium wagon with the Performance package that has all the V options except the LSA and swap an LSA or LS9. Maybe a LT4 if the communication is the same for the car's ECM/TCM?

If I was the President of more money than brains I'd swap a Hellcat crate engine in my Wagon with 707 hp. At the point, I'd rather spend that money on a C8.

·
Registered
14,430 Posts
Used V Wagons are much lower in cost than new. Where do you get your facts?

·
Registered
2011 CTS Luxury Wagon
66 Posts
Used V Wagons are much lower in cost than new. Where do you get your facts?
Ebay, most I see are $50k-$70k. They're listed like they're collectors. Not worth money IMO. V Wagons should only be like V sedans and coupes around $30k for a 10 year old GM. No 10 year old GM is worth $50k-$70k..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts