Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that in the CTS that when you put the key in and turn it, it doesn't opperate in the same fashion as a normal car.

Its almost electronic. One fast turn and the car takes it from there. Older cars you had to hold it until the car turned over.

Can anyone shed some light on the difference and tell me how reliable this technology is??

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
The CTS is mostly drive-by-wire. The ignition key only sends a signal to the ECM, which activates the starter. The Bosch ECM also operates the throtte. There is a potentiometer built into the gas pedal that sends a signal to the PCM, which then operates the throttle bodies and injectors. Most of the switches are also operated this way (interior lights, electric seats, etc). That way, when you push the remote door unlock, it also sets everything to that drivers presets.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone who's had a problem with the ignition switch yet. Only time will tell. Just like ABS and fuel injection (both computer controlled), whenever there's problems, it's likely not the computers, but mechanical parts. I don't know how long the potentiometer on the gas pedal will last before needing replacment, but my guess is long after you've sold the car.

http://rb-kwin.bosch.com/en-NA/start/productx_v_GS_01_EGAS.html

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
584 Posts
I have a bad habit of bumping the key in my wife's car expecting to start like my CTS, but having to go at it a second time. Also constantly searching for the thumbwheel volume control that doesn't exist on her steering wheel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do that on our Audi A4 too. I went from my Acura to the Cadi and hated the volume button in the Cadi. Now, I love the Cadi's and hate all others!! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts