Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 CTS with Sports/Luxury Package with stock 17" rims. It has a very stiff ride. On rough roads, it pretty much sucks. I'm taking it in to Cadillac next week to have it checked. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about the ride quality of CTS's with the sports package. I have owned a couple of Corvettes which I fully expected to ride rough but I didn't expect a non CTS-V model to rival that ride. Any complaints about ride quality? I know suspension has to be stiff for performance reasons. I'd like to put on 18" or larger rims but I'm afraid that will just make the ride suck that much more.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
Wow, you must be the very first complaining about a rough ride with the sport/lux version. I have been content with the balance of comfort and sport that the CTS provides.
Maybe you just need to get used to it? Or you should get the shocks from the base version. They should be softer.
Hope you will enjoy your daddy afterall!

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
enjoy your daddy
..i dont know how they do it on that side of the pond, :tisk: but over here... thats just freaky :thehand:

( i know u meant "caddy" ..lol i just hadta mess w/ u a bit :stirpot: )

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'm going to look into changing the shocks/struts/springs to the base version. You're are right. I've had the car for three weeks now and have only dirven it less than 500 miles so I need to get used to it as well. I'm really looking forward to doing a lot of mods to it.

·
Registered
2007 CTS
582 Posts
Thanks. I'm going to look into changing the shocks/struts/springs to the base version. You're are right. I've had the car for three weeks now and have only dirven it less than 500 miles so I need to get used to it as well. I'm really looking forward to doing a lot of mods to it.
Welcome to the board and mod hell... there's no shortage of ideas here!

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,969 Posts
The first thing you need to do is set the tire pressures to the specifications on the tag on the drivers door. Many ignorant people go by the specs on the tire which is the maximum pressure allowed.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
Also keep your eye out for Hotkchis or eibach sway bars if you really want to have fun on the twisties
For some reason Im gonna guess that he's not interested...I have no idea why :thepan:

You're the first person I've ever heard not liking the CTS sport suspension. The CTS sport suspension is the best in its category imo. Combines the ride quality of a typical caddy with the handling of a 3-series. It really does handle 95% as well as a 3-series, but without the rough ride.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,969 Posts
For some reason Im gonna guess that he's not interested...I have no idea why :thepan:

You're the first person I've ever heard not liking the CTS sport suspension. The CTS sport suspension is the best in its category imo. Combines the ride quality of a typical caddy with the handling of a 3-series. It really does handle 95% as well as a 3-series, but without the rough ride.
I'll bet he can feel the pea under 10 mattresses too.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have set the tire pressures according to the door label. I never run tires at max pressure. I run these tires at 33 PSI as minimum pressure is 30 PSI so I don't have to check them constantly.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll bet he can feel the pea under 10 mattresses too.
Very funny!! A friend of mine has a 2005 BMW 330i and it rides a lot better than my CTS does. I want a good handling car but not at the expense or ruining my back which I have hurt running this car on fairly rough roads. I'll see what Cadillac says about it on Tuesday.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You didn't say how many miles on the car. Struts could be bad. A lot of us have upgraded to stiffer FE4 struts and CTS-V sway bars. To most of us it's all about handling.
The car has 29K on it. I bought this car bacause I want a good handling car as I live in a rural mountain area with plenty of winding roads. I have run a corvette and a lowered Mustang Cobra over these roads with no complaints. I'll find out Tuesday if the struts are bad.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The car has 29K on it. I bought this car bacause I want a good handling car as I live in a rural mountain area with plenty of winding roads. I have run a corvette and a lowered Mustang Cobra over these roads with no complaints. I'll find out Tuesday if the struts are bad.
The CTS does not have struts. :tisk: Ours is a more advanced double wishbone suspension with separate shock absorbers. Struts can be found on Toyotas. I seriously doubt that your shocks are faulty, unless they are visibly leaking.

If you want to soften the ride a bit - and for a lot less cost than "downgrading" the suspension - is to get a set of 16" wheels from the base CTS and a set of the standard 225/55/16 tires. Many CTS wheel sets are for sale on eBay as most are upgrading in the other direction. The extra sidewall height will help cushion the ride at the expense of turn-in feel of the steering.

·
Registered
'04 3.6L Cadillac CTS
39 Posts
I thought that a strut was a combination of a shock absorber with a spring perched on top. Which also saves space vs. a separate shock/spring from let's say a truck setup.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
not disagreeing with u keeton cus i dont know much on the subject,
but i've been told "never trust Wikipedia" ... there is an Edit option which will let anyone change the info on the page.... you can actually be getting false info cus some jerkoff felt it would be hilarious to f**k people over....

...just saying :)

·
Registered
2004 Customized black on tan 3.6L CTS
5,147 Posts
I get no props for pointing you to this site Brian!!!??? LOL!!!

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts

·
Registered
'04 3.6L Cadillac CTS
39 Posts
http://www.innerauto.com/Automotive_Systems/Front_Wheel_Drive/Macpherson_Strut/

Just another site that simplifies the "strut" setup.

I can see where the differences are in the naming of the suspension. More correctly for the double-wishbone would be coil-overs. Struts, were a name given to coil-overs because it's the same setup shock absorber, spring, and pillow mount as in the macpherson suspension setup.

To make things short.

A. Cadillacs do use "Struts" as in a coil-over (spring perched on a shock body, with upper pillow mount to fender well).

B. Cadillacs do not uses the Macpherson suspension set up.

C. Cadillacs do us double wishbone suspension where the "strut" is placed in between the angles of the upper and lower control arms.

Here is a more definitive explanation of the different suspension set ups.

http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible.html

1 - 20 of 44 Posts