Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS
20 Posts
Guys...or gals...whichever-

You CAN do this yourselves. Yes it will cost you, but at a fraction of the cost as if you paid for this from the factory.

There are other threads in this forum explaining about the "V" exhaust being considerably cheaper (if not FREE) than the Corsa with similar gains exhaust for exhaust.
I realize that the "V" exhaust is tuned for the "V" engine and the Corsa pictured in the article is most likely NOT the system they offer for the 3.6 as it is currently, but you'll have a much less restrictive exhaust system (ideal for boosted applications)

The blower is a separate issue. I'm sure a supercharger kit can be found or pieced together at a much more reasonable cost than the factory would offer. Also keep in mind that said kit would also probably offer BIGGER gains in performance dollar for dollar. 45 more ponies is nice and all but if I'm shelling out the bucks, but I'd be less than impressed if I weren't getting AT LEAST 320hp from a car that's supposed to "close the gap in performance".

All the other knick-knacks are cool too I guess, but do you REALLY need them?

In short, I guess what I'm trying to say is that there IS more performance out there for fairly reasonable amounts money. You just gotta keep looking.

And... ALWAYS keep the deflection problem in mind when adding TQ to this car!!!!!!

There you have it. My 2-cents worth.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JB311 said:
Guys...or gals...whichever-
You CAN do this yourselves. Yes it will cost you, but at a fraction of the cost as if you paid for this from the factory.
The problem is that it will not be covered under the factory warranty and that, as least for me, is worth the extra cost of purchasing the sports package from the factory. A turnkey sports package is great for those of us who do not want the hassles.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, this is the CTS I would have purchased as the V does not come with an automatic. I like the look, the accessories, and the package--as is. Cadillac has a turnkey winner with this one.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
But it's a great prospect that Cadillac makes real performance sports cars!
I guess we see this gap filler in the next generation CTS with the 4.2 rather than a bully 3.6...

·
Registered
03 CTS
1,353 Posts
SoCadillac said:
The problem is that it will not be covered under the factory warranty and that, as least for me, is worth the extra cost of purchasing the sports package from the factory...
I'm with u on this... From factory may cost more up front but they'll repair everything while under warrenty, which will cost u less in the long run. When u do the mods yourself, far as adding a turbo or supercharger if anything goes wrong ur screwed and have to pay EVERYTHING out of pocket. New engines or majors repairs are not cheap.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
BishopRuger said:
I'm with u on this... From factory may cost more up front but they'll repair everything while under warrenty, which will cost u less in the long run. When u do the mods yourself, far as adding a turbo or supercharger if anything goes wrong ur screwed and have to pay EVERYTHING out of pocket. New engines or majors repairs are not cheap.
That's always the dilemma for us hotrodders. We run the risk of braking our rides possibly due to the result of our mods and lose the warranty coverage.

If you're a motorhead you're compelled to do it. I no longer street race but I love the rush from full acceleration run or pushing my CTS through some twisty back roads. Guys talk about their stereo but I get more excitement listening to my drivetrain.:cloud9:

To the guys that are scared to death about the warranty you wouldn't understand why we do it.:bouncy:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RobertCTS said:
To the guys that are scared to death about the warranty you wouldn't understand why we do it.:bouncy:
Not scared to death, just over my younger days of piling money into vehicles with little return, and my time is now worth more in other endeavors, so having an excellent relationship with the dealerships where my vehicles were purchased (and I do with all of them) pays off handsomely when needed. Long story short...my DIY hot-rodding days are done...been there, done that. However, I would never dissuade those who are still into the scene as it is fun for the time or until the time changes.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
SoCadillac said:
Not scared to death, just over my younger days of piling money into vehicles with little return, and my time is now worth more in other endeavors, so having an excellent relationship with the dealerships where my vehicles were purchased (and I do with all of them) pays off handsomely when needed. Long story short...my DIY hot-rodding days are done...been there, done that. However, I would never dissuade those who are still into the scene as it is fun for the time or until the time changes.
I know where you are coming from.:thumbsup: Unfortunately Motorheads seldom grow up. The inner child drives us in wreckless yet fun ways. You have selected a safer and more economical way with your ride but to me it would be so boring.:yawn:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RobertCTS said:
We have two similar threads running but that's OK. Hard to believe Cadillac had the idea in 2004 and made us wait this long.
Actually, it was 2003 and it is exciting to see that Cadillac knows that they can push this car further. With all the snippets one can find on the internet, all add up to an engine and car with high potential--I love it!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RobertCTS said:
I know where you are coming from.:thumbsup: Unfortunately Motorhead seldom grow up. The inner child drives us in wreckless yet fun ways. You have selected a safer and more economical way with your ride but to me it would be so boring.:yawn:
Believe me your Motorhead traits are very valuable in the world of business so yes, I am bit boring now, but I have more to lose. I still ride motor though and the stable is being revolved currently to add more motorcycles after just selling two off.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
920 Posts
I've always loved speed, it's really fun when you do it with red lights and siren either in cars or motorcycles. Sure I've gotten older but I refuse to grow up. I was called a lot of things during my career but I never knew I was a "Motorhead," thanks Bob for the info:
When we go out I give my girlfriend the choice of which traffic signal I'm going to floor it at.:cop:

·
Registered
2013 3.6 Performance Luxury
1,034 Posts
I like it! Also makes me realize that the front license plate holder on mine should really be removed (regardless of Texas law). :lildevil:

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
FastCTS said:
I've always loved speed, it's really fun when you do it with red lights and siren either in cars or motorcycles. Sure I've gotten older but I refuse to grow up. I was called a lot of things during my career but I never knew I was a "Motorhead," thanks Bob for the info:
When we go out I give my girlfriend the choice of which traffic signal I'm going to floor it at.:cop:
YeeeeHaaaaw!!!!:burn: My bad!:rant2:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts