Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1997 STS
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so when I floor the car from a stop it goes smooth till about 5500 rpms then it feels like it shifts but as rpm drops but it doesn't shift and then climbs a bit higher before it actually shifts . Sort of like it hits a rev limiter stalls out then gets back up and goes. When trying to pass it does this to, only when it's wot though. Any ideas?

Thx

·
Registered
1997 STS
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so update, it's not the transmission as far as I can tell. It revs up to 5200 then hesitated as if fuel is cut off, does the jerk and then try's to rev again going a bit higher. Does this in 1st 2nd 3rd . If I go wot sometimes three times before it shifts. I'm going to se if fuel/air cleaner replacement helps, I already cleaned the throttle body which was really dirty.
It's a 2003 cts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Is the check engine light on? It kind of does sound trans affiliated. Manual or automatic? Also what mileage are you working with?

·
Registered
1997 STS
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, I'm getting a O2 code for bank 2,2 and its a automatic, milage or km here in Canada is 200km

Only have had it two weeks and it's got lots of power down low . Shifts normal when driving it around, just when I floor it and bring the revs to that 5000 range it does this. Like hits a wall bounces there and then shifts

Thanks for reply
Ron

·
Registered
05 CTS
38 Posts
Does the light next to Drive on the shifter remain lit when you are having the issues? I had a similar issue, related to the internal mode switch in the transmission, and the car would not shift at all at WOT. It would rev to the limiter and stop, and would not shift until I let off the throttle. Basically the ECM/TCM didn't know if the car was in park or drive so it would enable the rev limiter and keep the trans from shifting at WOT.

·
Registered
1997 STS
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. I don't usually take it wot that often and will try and see what your suggesting. I've been looking at the tach and not the light. What resolved your problem?
Thx for replying.

·
Registered
05 CTS
38 Posts
I had to replace the internal mode switch in the transmission. It is actually listed as the neutral safety switch in the GM parts catalog. I used these instructions when I replaced mine.

http://workshop-manuals.com/cadillac/sts_awd/v6-3.6l/transmission_and_drivetrain/automatic_transmission/transaxle/sensors_and_switches_a/t/transmission_position_switch/sensor_a/t/component_information/service_and_repair/5l40-e/5l50-e_automatic_transmission/

They are for an STS, but they were pretty much dead on for the CTS. I actually had to remove the switch twice, and the second time around I was able to remove the switch without dropping the exhaust or driveshaft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts