Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking or purchasing a Cadillac when the weather gets better, and was wondering what everyone thinks about the STS over the CTS. I am looking at the 05 and up STS and the same with the CTS. Just wondering opinions between the two? Also what to look for when I am shopping for either of these cars?

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
I came from a 2004 CTS because it was too small, also wanted to stay Cadillac but escape the 3.6L timing chain destroyer.

I absolutely LOVE my V8 STS, screw gas mileage, screw practicality, I love this car!

Obviously with the V6 cars watch out for timing chain clatter. Rear riffs also find themselves going bad, listen for rear drive train howls in both V6 and V8 cars.

If equipped with magnetic ride control get the suspension looked at thoroughly to inspect for fluid leaks.

Cat converters also like to go in these cars, 2005's are special covered for 20yr/200k due to this.

If looking at STS's test drive many as there are varying trim levels to choose from, 1SG being the most desirable option package.

Overall they're great cars, but just as any $50k+ luxury they come with a price. The maintenance costs are still that of a $50k luxury car, not the $15k purchasing price. Expensive parts, lots of dealer only parts, lots of electronics, etc...She's a whole lot of car, definitely no Honda...But worth every penny IMO.

·
Registered
2005 STS 6 CYL
497 Posts
I've only had the sts that I have now. IMO the 2005+ sts are a perfect size, a great looking car, and just comfortable. Every time I see a cts I just think they are a little small, cheap looking, and the majority of them have horrible looking oem wheels. I know I sound one sided especially since I've only owned 1 Cadillac but if you parked a sts next to a cts and compared them you'd more than likely see 1 classy car(sts) and 1 plastic looking car(cts) lol but don't get me wrong I do love anything in a V series :)

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
That was another reason I opted to upgrade to an STS from the CTS...The interior of the 1st gen CTS is just too plain for me, not enough Cadillac. But, I will tell you that the CTS was a hell of a lot of fun to drive, the 255HP 3.6 is plenty to move that car. The STS handles well for its size, especially when equipped with MRC, but the CTS takes the cake over the STS when it comes to agility IMO.

I also test drove a 2008 CTS (2nd gen) and it was not as responsive as the 1st gen car, probably due to its added girth, even had the newer DI 3.6, adding an extra 55HP from the 1st gen 3.6. Didn't care for it too much, interior was much improved though over the 03-07 models.

When I bought my 2001 Seville at Key Cadillac in 2006 there was a white diamond 2006 STS on their show room, I fell in love immediately and told the salesman that I would own one someday...that one had tan interior though :) I opted for black.

There is always room for improvement though....

Did someone say V??

The 1st gen CTS will be the "rawest" of all V's, just a bare bones LS V8 packed in a small sport sedan, with lots of potential...

I haven't decided yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the advise. I like the looks of the 05+ STS, it looks more modern then the 1st gen CTS. Just need to sell my Camaro first then going to be looking. One more thing, will the newer five lug CTS V wheels fit a STS? Just thinking ahead. Thanks again, By the way not completely a Caddy virgin, had an 08 SRX, and we loved it.

·
Registered
2005 sts N* 1965 coupe deville
364 Posts
when i bought my sts i chose it over a cts-v reason being the car feels wider and safer i must admit. couple downfalls one the backseat has no leg room if your taking passengers. And the trunk does not have a verry big opening for putting things in. but somedays i wish that the northstar had just a little bit more power and the fuel ecconomy with the factory wheels is not verry bad i was getting aprox 11L/100k( aprox 21MPG) The cts does not have as many features as the sts if your going to buy a base version of the sts you might as well buy the cts then. with the magnetic ride control and the adaptive cruise they are two features i would never want to go without again. the navigation is nice but id like to buy a lockpick as there is zero functions when driving the car. take into factor oil changes are exspenve they take 8L of synthetic engine oil (northstar) and if you are into the aftermarket world the sts is not for you, there is next to nothing for add ons

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
STS by a wide margin, IMHO. Northstar, size, ride, features like ACC, HUD/Nav integration. keyless entry, Bose 15.1.

On the other side, I do spend about $75 to change the Mobil1 once a year (includes tire rotation). Brakes & throttle-body cleanings are about the only other regular maintenance. Discard the crappy OEM Michelin rocks, hard & slick.

·
Registered
2005 STS Northstar RWD
511 Posts
When I was looking for a car, I actually kind of stumbled on the STS, and don't regret it. I was looking for a first gen CTS-V, but they were slightly out of what I wanted to pay for a car at the time. While I didn't get all the options, I did go with the Northstar (all the cars I was looking at at the time had a V8 :) ). If you are easy on the throttle, you can get descent mpg's. On the freeway i get good mileage. If you are comparing a comparable level of trim between the STS and the CTS, to me the STS wins hands down. I like a little bit larger car, even though the interior probably isn't that much bigger than the CTS.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
Yeah, the STS MPG's are in descent. My AWD N* mileage decends to about 15 in the Winter; worse when it's really cold or I use the remote start a lot! (On the Michelin rocks, my wife's STS got 25 MPG at 80 MPH w' 2k RPM; truely decent for a 320 HP touring sedan.)

But seriously, my wife bought her STS long before I did. She convinced me to give it a more serious look. It is smaller than I would prefer but I was considering Infiniti & Lexus but nothing was 'clicking'. Audi's feel very small. Toyota's Avalon is just sooo bland...
Jags, BMW's & Mercedes with ACC and the other features were out of my price range unless gravely flawed.

Driving her car swayed me. Now I love my STS. I wish it were roomier but the big cars are all gone. I miss them.

·
Registered
2005 STS N*, 1SF, 144K mi.
650 Posts
I'm with orange57. I wasn't looking for an STS...I was shopping '05-'06 Jaaaaaaag Super V8s, however, when I learned...and why I didn't know this, I haven't a clue...this gen of STS was RWD, I immediately started looking.

Found a 1SG, but the place selling it was beyond sketchy. However, literally crossed paths with a guy looking to trade his '05 1SF in on a pickup. When we chatted, and I asked what he wanted for it, I said, "give me 15 minutes...I see a Wells Fargo on the other side of the freeway."

Went and got the cash, then waited for him to do his thing. Took a couple of weeks, which was fine, so I could run the VIN and whatnot.

At the same time, I still really want a '94-'95 Fleetwood Brougham.

·
Registered
2015 CTS
596 Posts
We had an '04 CTS and loved it but I think it was too small inside, we now have a 2011 STS and think it's the perfect size.

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6 AWD
1,005 Posts
No contest for me! STS hands down. Of course I drive an STS but I've driven the cts n numerous occasions as a loaner. On one occasion, I drove it for over a week while the dealer had a part shipped in. I can say I got used to it, but once I got back into my STS, it confirmed for me the substantial difference in the to cars! I don't think I could ever own a CTS, at least as the are now.

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6 AWD
1,005 Posts
Interesting. Wouldn't a larger cts almost as large as the STS be pretty much the same as the XTS?

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
malatu said:
Interesting. Wouldn't a larger cts almost as large as the STS be pretty much the same as the XTS?
:yeah: ???

And the XTS just doesn't do it for me...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts